In your view what was/is the core theme of the Old Testament

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

justme2
Apprentice

In your view what was/is the core theme of the Old Testament

Post #1

Post by justme2 »

In your view, what was/is the core theme of the Old Testament?

Definition of Theme
Theme is defined as a main idea or an underlying meaning of a literary work, which may be stated directly or indirectly.

Definition of Theme
In contemporary literary studies, a theme is a central topic a text treats.[1] Themes can be divided into two categories: a work's thematic concept is what readers "think the work is about" and its thematic statement being "what the work says about the subject".[2] Themes are often distinguished from premises.

Definition of theme
1a: a subject or topic of discourse or of artistic representation
guilt and punishment is the theme of the story
b: a specific and distinctive quality, characteristic, or concern
the campaign has lacked a theme

In reading the Old Testament, what do you believe the core theme was and for what purpose was it written-?
:study:

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

Come out for among them and touch not the unclean thing! But they would not...

Come out of Ur and settle the land I give to you.

Come out of Egypt and into the land of milk and honey.

Come out of sinfulness and enter the Promised Land of Paradise, the kingdom, the heavenly marriage.

But they would not.

Matt 13:26 When the wheat sprouted and bore grain, then the weeds also appeared. 27 The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’ 28 ‘An enemy did this,’ he replied. So the servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and PULL THEM UP?’ [bring the judgement upon them] 29 ‘NO,’ he said, ‘if you pull the weeds now, you might uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest.

The judgement is postponed until the sinful elect can be brought to repentant holiness and, when they are free of the judgement themselves by holiness, (acceptance of the judgment against some they love), then that day will come. That is why Peter exhorts us to Godly and holy living to SPEED UP that terrible day of our LORD: 2 Peter 3:11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to conduct yourselves in holiness and godliness 12 as you anticipate and hasten (SPEED UP) the coming of the day of God, when the heavens will be dissolved by fire and the elements will melt in the heat.

Amen.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: In your view what was/is the core theme of the Old Testa

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

justme2 wrote:In your view, what was/is the core theme of the Old Testament?
The Israelites are Yahweh's people. They aren't Babylonian, Egyptian, Canaanite, Philistine, Assyrian, or Babylonian again, but kind of are when it comes right down to it.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by justme2]

I'd say it's the belief in and respect of God.

To follow the 10 Commandments.

And respect of your fellow human being, also part of the 10 Commandments.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

justme2
Apprentice

prophesy against the land of Israel

Post #5

Post by justme2 »

I ask, why were these verses written?
Ezekiel
1 And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
2 Son of man, set thy face toward Jerusalem, and drop thy word toward the holy places, and prophesy against the land of Israel,
3 And say to the land of Israel, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I am against thee, and will draw forth my sword out of his sheath, and will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked.
4 Seeing then that I will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked, therefore shall my sword go forth out of his sheath against all flesh from the south to the north:
7 And it shall be, when they say unto thee, Wherefore sighest thou? that thou shalt answer, For the tidings; because it cometh: and every heart shall melt, and all hands shall be feeble, and every spirit shall faint, and all knees shall be weak as water: behold, it cometh, and shall be brought to pass, saith the Lord GOD.
9 Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus saith the LORD; Say, A sword, a sword is sharpened, and also furbished:
12 Cry and howl, son of man: for it shall be upon my people, it shall be upon all the princes of Israel: terrors by reason of the sword shall be upon my people: smite therefore upon thy thigh.
13 Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord GOD.
17 I will also smite mine hands together, and I will cause my fury to rest: I the LORD have said it.
20 Appoint a way, that the sword may come to Rabbath of the Ammonites, and to Judah in Jerusalem the defenced.
24 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye have made your iniquity to be remembered, in that your transgressions are discovered, so that in all your doings your sins do appear; because, I say, that ye are come to remembrance, ye shall be taken with the hand.
25 And thou, profane wicked prince of Israel, whose day is come, when iniquity shall have an end,
27 I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until he come whose right it is; and I will give it him.
29 Whiles they see vanity unto thee, whiles they divine a lie unto thee, to bring thee upon the necks of them that are slain, of the wicked, whose day is come, when their iniquity shall have an end.
30 Shall I cause it to return into his sheath? I will judge thee in the place where thou wast created, in the land of thy nativity.
31 And I will pour out mine indignation upon thee, I will blow against thee in the fire of my wrath, and deliver thee into the hand of brutish men, and skilful to destroy.
32 Thou shalt be for fuel to the fire; thy blood shall be in the midst of the land; thou shalt be no more remembered: for I the LORD have spoken it.

Is the above prophecy coming true?

According to a 2002 study by the Jewish Agency, "the number of Jews in the world is declining at an average of 50,000 per year."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_population
:study:

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by sleepyhead »

The theme would be that of a society living in close proximity to God with all of the benefits and problems that entails. Having the Ark presented many challenges to the Israelites, and many died due to some violation.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by justme2]

The fullment of the EDENIC prophecy and the part the Abrahamic covenant plays therein.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by The Tanager »

God seeks loving community with humans.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by Adstar »

The main story of the OT is the revelation of Mankind's inability to live up to the standards of God..

Overcomer
Guru

Post #10

Post by Overcomer »

The Bible is a love story in which God created humankind to be in loving relationship with him. But they spurned his love and turned their backs on him as outlined in the first chapters of Genesis. The remainder of the book is the story of how God, out of love, pursued humankind and implemented a plan of salvation through the nation of Israel and the person of Jesus Christ, as God Incarnate, to reunite people to him.