Bible Contradiction?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Bible Contradiction?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Deuteronomy 4:2 English Standard Version (ESV)
2 You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.

vs

John 13:34 English Standard Version (ESV)
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

So did Jesus break the command to not add to the commandments of God?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Topaz27
Student

Post #21

Post by Topaz27 »

I think it's a lot more damning when the Bible contradicts with reality.

We should expect that several century old documents, that were written by entirely different people. And that are translations, of translations, of copies, of translations, of oral traditions, wouldn't all line up 100%.

I still think it discredits modern versions of the Bible, but it makes sense. I personally believe it's a lot more interesting when the Bible contradicts with reality/common sense.

Here's a few examples:
Gen1:3 (God creates light) then Gen1:16 (makes the stars and the sun)
Gen1:11 (God creates plants) then Gen1:16 (God creates sun/stars)Especially interesting for people who believe that the "days" depicted in Genesis weren't 24 hours
Gen1:16 (the moon is a light)
Rev6:13 (Stars fall to Earth)
Basically all of Noah's Ark etc.

If you want more, read Genesis and Revelations. There's some wacky stuff in those two books.

A lot of people write these off as metaphors, or just stories. But Genesis and Revelations are never once said to be just stories. So I don't think we can just arbitrarily decide which parts are fact, and which are myth.

Topaz27
Student

Post #22

Post by Topaz27 »

[Replying to post 21 by Topaz27]

Sorry I didn't realize this was about specific Bible verses. But I think my point still stands.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #23

Post by brianbbs67 »

Avoice wrote: [Replying to brianbbs67]

God never said he was sending another Joshua. He never said that. Why do you put your own wirds in his mouth? Not only that you said he promised. Ouch

And even if he did say it, which he didn't, how would you know which Joshua? Many had that name?
Many had the name of (fill it in). As well read as you are, the prophets don't mention another Joshua? I will have to find it for you.

Avoice
Guru

Re: Bible Contradiction?

Post #24

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to Tcg]

But it addresses whether or not jesus gave new commandments. I simply showed that he did. But I could not with a good conscience allow the readers to think his 'new' commandment was valid. And so I elaborated on his commandment.
I did get off track somewhat but if I didnt some of you might continue thinking that your thoughts make you guilty.

I apologize

Avoice
Guru

Post #25

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 23 by brianbbs67]

Just go to a concordance or bible gateway or similar. Then type in Joshua. It will tell you every instance of the word Joshua in the bible. No where does God say he is sending another Joshua.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Bible Contradiction?

Post #26

Post by Athetotheist »

Wootah wrote: Deuteronomy 4:2 English Standard Version (ESV)
2 You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.

vs

John 13:34 English Standard Version (ESV)
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

So did Jesus break the command to not add to the commandments of God?
By the time Jesus says what he says in John 13:34, he's been violating Deut. 4:2 for a long time:

Mark 10:11-12 vs Deuteronomy 24:1-4

Matthew 5:33-34 vs Numbers 30:1-2

John 8:7 vs Deuteronomy 22:22

All of the above vs Deuteronomy 27:26