Questions about the Earth

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

servant
Apprentice

Questions about the Earth

Post #1

Post by servant »

Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?

Diagoras
Guru

Post #151

Post by Diagoras »

Revelations won wrote: The OP asked the following:

Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Can you show me wherein the “earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?

The account regarding the rotation of the earth and other governing planets is found in the Book of Abraham

<..>
Since the OP specifically asked about the Bible, we have no logical reason to bring the Book of Abraham into the discussion.

brunumb
Savant

Post #152

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 150 by Revelations won]

It's a pity that the Holy Spirit didn't whisper in Abraham's ear and remind him that circles are flat. Earth is not flat. It is a sphere.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

marco
Savant

Post #153

Post by marco »

Revelations won wrote: Bless you, I hope you have all your stars aligned when you meet Abraham and have the privilege of challenging his astrological knowledge.

It is exciting to know that we eventually get to see the old brute who was prepared to murder his son. I think he would be more surprised, being a rough old nomad, to have culture communicate with him. His horoscopes would be no match for modern knowledge. It might be equally interesting to meet the Neanderthal Adam, and ask if he liked his apple. Then we could shake hands with Hercules.

Revelations won
Sage

Post #154

Post by Revelations won »

Dear Marco,

I am sorry for your lack of understanding. We should remember that the Lord said unto Abraham in the following revelation found in: Genesis 22:

2. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

We should understand that the Lord was testing Abraham’s obedience and also giving him some very deep and personal understanding by this test so that he, (Abraham) would have a very clear understanding of how painful it was for God the Father to allow His only begotten Son to provide the great and last atoning sacrifice for us all.

Abraham waited nearly a century for a faithful son from his wife Sarah. I cannot imagine how painful this test of obedience was for Abraham.

We should so note that the Lord and his angel very closely followed Abraham and Isaac in this ordeal.

Genesis 22: 9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. 10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. 11 And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. 12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me. 13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

We should carefully observe that:

1. They came to the place “�which God had told him of�.
2. That Abraham in (obedience to the Lord,s instruction) “stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son�.
3. Next we observe that “the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven�.
4. The angel of the LORD directed Abraham to: “Lay not thy hand upon the lad, neither do thou anything unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing that thou hast not withhold thy son, thy only son from me,
5. We next observe the marvelous fulfillment of a prophecy so duly recorded, for 6. Abraham looked up and saw behind him “a ram caught in a thicket by his horns and
6. Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.� We should never forget that marvelous prophecy found in:
“Genesis 22: 7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? 8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.�
7. While I do not know all that Abraham learned from this experience, my take is that at least one mortal man experienced a similitude and intense understanding and appreciation of the sacrifice and atonement of God’s only begotten son Jesus Christ. My personal feeling is that each of us can also benefit from Abraham’s experience and gain a far greater appreciation of that great and last sacrifice provided by our Lord Jesus Christ. These are my thoughts and views on this issue and hope that all may more carefully observe and benefit therefrom.

Best regards,
RW

Willum
Savant

Post #155

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 154 by Revelations won]
We should understand that the Lord...
And if, due to having a modicum of rationality or sympathy, we do not understand this?
Say we are rationale, and understand there are things called schizophrenia and other diseases that myth and legend could warp into a even more twisted tale?

What then?
Abraham waited nearly a century for a faithful son from his wife Sarah. I cannot imagine how painful this test of obedience was for Abraham.
I can't imagine how this was a test. Many people are impotent. As to Sarah and himself, doesn't it explain more if it were just a myth?
We should carefully observe that:
All these things are what is called "self-licking ice cream cones." They exist because they reference themselves.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #156

Post by Diagoras »

Revelations won wrote: We should carefully observe that:
What I’ve carefully observed in your post is a total absence of any mention of the earth’s properties, as asked for in the OP.

Do you have any examples from the bible that specifically address the debate topic, rather than offering a personal opinion on an unrelated story?

Revelations won
Sage

Post #157

Post by Revelations won »

Dear Diagoraes,

I was only trying to give a answer to the question.

Perhaps you would be gracious enough to enlighten us the book , chapter and verse(s) wherin the Bible clearly teaches that the world is round.

Thanks for you help.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #158

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to post 157 by Revelations won]

Why would I try to find anything in the bible that ‘clearly teaches’ anything about science?

When I want to learn something about the properties of the earth or the wider universe, the bible’s the last source I’d pick. And anyway, the original question of this thread was adequately answered in posts 9 and 10 on the first page.

I’m not going to help anyone’s misguided attempt to ‘retrofit’ definite scientific facts into some vague Bronze Age writings. If you believe the bible is in any way a ‘book of science’, then you would have to accept - like any scientist should - that its information could later be proved wrong and therefore be best rewritten. I’ve never heard of a Christian willingly accepting that.
Christianity has not changed its belief system to accommodate scientific thought.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #159

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to post 158 by Diagoras]

The Earth is round.

Isaiah 40:22

It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,

and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;

who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,

and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;

Job 26:10
He has inscribed a circle on the face of the waters

at the boundary between light and darkness.

The Earth floats in space

Job 26:7

He stretches out the north over the void

and hangs the earth on nothing.

The expansion of the universe

Conservation of mass

John 1:3

All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Colossians 1:17

And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

The Bible accurately describes the number of stars.
The Bible describes the hydrologic cycle also.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #160

Post by Clownboat »

EarthScienceguy wrote: [Replying to post 158 by Diagoras]

The Earth is round.

Job 26:10
He has inscribed a circle on the face of the waters

at the boundary between light and darkness.

The Earth floats in space

Job 26:7

He stretches out the north over the void

and hangs the earth on nothing.

The expansion of the universe

Conservation of mass

John 1:3

All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Colossians 1:17

And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

The Bible accurately describes the number of stars.
The Bible describes the hydrologic cycle also.
Circles are flat.
The earth is an oblate spheroid.
Sorry...

Just another reason to look to science books for science and not unknown desert nomads without written language orally telling traditions for centuries. That will lead circle to be spheres as we see here.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb