Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Did Jesus exist?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Did Jesus exist?

If not, please make the case that he did not exist, even as a completely human first century Jew.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Tcg
Savant

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:

Dang it Tcg... concentrate on having fluid conversations buddy... "you didnt use the word right"~you
You are misrepresenting my reply. I agreed that you were using the right word. You simply didn't realize it.

Tcg
Tcg...
dude
what does this have to do with the topic man. Can we please concentrate on the historical Jesus...

I was addressing this post:
Tart wrote:
"So the probability of the Gospel theology being true verbatim is nil."

Its still nil... could be true? who knows? Personally i think nil is good enough to establish that Jesus could be my personal savior... Maybe a nil chance, but its possible
If it is off-topic, you can only blame the poster who introduced it.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:

Dang it Tcg... concentrate on having fluid conversations buddy... "you didnt use the word right"~you
You are misrepresenting my reply. I agreed that you were using the right word. You simply didn't realize it.

Tcg
Tcg...
dude
what does this have to do with the topic man. Can we please concentrate on the historical Jesus...

I was addressing this post:
Tart wrote:
"So the probability of the Gospel theology being true verbatim is nil."

Its still nil... could be true? who knows? Personally i think nil is good enough to establish that Jesus could be my personal savior... Maybe a nil chance, but its possible
If it is off-topic, you can only blame the poster who introduced it.

Tcg
Thank you Tcg for the thoughtful reply.

polonius
Prodigy

Re: Did Jesus exist?

Post #23

Post by polonius »

Elijah John wrote:
Willum wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Lots of guys named Joshua existed.
No one named Jesus who performs miracles or saves souls did or does.

There is only one data point that says he does, and it is unsubstantiated by anything else.
Thusa reasonable person concludes it is a sham. The ultimate pet rock.
Where do you think the words attributed to Jesus came from? Who put them on the "fictional"? character Jesus lips?

RESPONSE: The four men who wrote the ""Gospel." Didn't somebody tell you that?Did you believe them?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #24

Post by Elijah John »

polonius wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Willum wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Lots of guys named Joshua existed.
No one named Jesus who performs miracles or saves souls did or does.

There is only one data point that says he does, and it is unsubstantiated by anything else.
Thusa reasonable person concludes it is a sham. The ultimate pet rock.
Where do you think the words attributed to Jesus came from? Who put them on the "fictional"? character Jesus lips?

RESPONSE: The four men who wrote the ""Gospel." Didn't somebody tell you that?Did you believe them?
I can understand why they may have mythologized an actual man Jesus. But why do you suppose they may have invented him from scratch?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Avoice
Guru

Post #25

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to Elijah John]

No one knows. Not even you. If they say they know where the words attributed to Jesus come from they are lying to you. The gospels were written anonymously.
I simply can not understand how Christians can turn to a book written by who knows who.
A book where God does not claim to speak one word in it. He is quoted or rather misquoted from the Hebrew Scriptures. They abandone the teaching of the Hebrew Scriptures where God frequently speaks... clearly identifues himself... doesn't hide in vague speeches...nor threaten us with hell if we don't believe in him...
They leave the place where they are100% sure God speaks to them only yo obey a 'voice' from heaven. Who it is? It doesn't say. Christians...what have you done that makes you run away from God? Why are you determined to go away from him? You say the father and son arecequally important to you. But your actions say different.why cantbyou spend tome with the father like you fo Jesus. You constantly quote from the book god doesn't endorse. You quote the gospels and Paul and jesus but you seldom quote the Hebrew scriptures. Andcwhen you do its for jesus. Admit it....the father is only invited to your party to pay for everything. Other than that he stays in his room. He might spoil your good times iif you let him out to speak huh? Your scared. You are.
You may have sins like the rest of of us but your solution to them is by far worse than whatever you have done. You left God. Uou may have fooled yourself into believing god is with you. No...its all jesus. His creation is your God. Only God can destroy your lord..

marco
Savant

Post #26

Post by marco »

Avoice wrote:

A book where God does not claim to speak one word in it. He is quoted or rather misquoted from the Hebrew Scriptures.
There is more reality in Jesus than in Yahweh. Any words of God are quotes, made by humans. Do you seriously suppose Yahweh was flying around like a bumble bee, cheekily exposing his back quarters to an amazed nomad? Do you suppose that God peeped from behind a bush and said: "Hello there Adam. I can see you." Or had a conversation with some bearded savage: "Take your son, the one you love a lot, you know whom I mean, yes, Isaac's his name - remember him? Take him and cut his throat as an offering to me. Or: "Noah, I know you're 600 years old but I want you to gather timber and build a type 1 naval destroyer by the weekend. O, and take two of every animal. Find them yourself; you're fit enough. I'll wait and then flood the planet"

In what world are these scenarios not ludicrous? And yet.... and yet … we must say these are divine instructions while "Love thy neighbour" is preposterous, said by a non-being.