Why are the number of Jehovah Witnesses decreasing so much?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Why are the number of Jehovah Witnesses decreasing so much?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

PEW reports that:

"Jehovah’s Witnesses have a low retention rate relative to other U.S. religious groups. Among all U.S. adults who were raised as Jehovah’s Witnesses, two-thirds (66%) no longer identify with the group. By contrast, about two-thirds of those who were raised as evangelical Protestants (65%) and Mormons (64%) still say they are members of those respective groups."

Why, and what will be the long term effect?

tam
Savant

Post #31

Post by tam »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 23 by tam]

Evidently Tam there are those that believe that Jehovah's Witnesses standards and bible standards are not the same. That is fine, I personally beg to differ but I am not here to preach or to convert you or anyone to our faith.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

That's fine, JW (peace to you).

It's just untrue to say that the people who leave (and/or are df'd) do so because they no longer want to live by bible standards. If your religion is teaching that, then your religion is lying, even bearing false witness against the people who have left for other reasons (such as leaving what is now understood by them to be false).

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #32

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote:
It's just untrue to say that the people who leave (and/or are df'd) do so because they no longer want to live by bible standards.
I can assure you as a Jehovah's Witness myself and knowing several disfellowshipped people and why they were DFed. Including 2 of my own family members. Both were reinstated after returning to proper Bible based behavior. Even I disassociated myself for 15 years because I didn't want to live by Bible standards and rules. If I had wanted to stay in association during those 15 years I would have been DFed. My behavior during those 15 years was no where near following the Bible and I would not have been repentant at all. People have the option to return to Bible based living, but if they like the people I know that were and are DFed, they were unrepentant. The lifestyle they want to pursue is more important than Bible commandments. I personally have been there and done that. So JWs is accurate 100% in this matter.

How many DF people do you know? If you do know any, how do you know they are being honest about why they were DFed? Because I'm being completely honest and why I left wasn't because of the congregation, family or friends. It was because I knew what the Bible said about what I wanted to do and I didn't care. I knew what Jesus said what should be done to people that do not correct their course from God's standards and I didn't care about that either. Dumbest thing I ever did in my life.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #33

Post by Clownboat »

2timothy316 wrote:
tam wrote:

It's just untrue to say that the people who leave (and/or are df'd) do so because they no longer want to live by bible standards.

I can assure you as a Jehovah's Witness myself and knowing several disfellowshipped people and why they were DFed. Including 2 of my own family members. Both were reinstated after returning to proper Bible based behavior. Even I disassociated myself for 15 years because I didn't want to live by Bible standards and rules. If I had wanted to stay in association during those 15 years I would have been DFed. My behavior during those 15 years was no where near following the Bible and I would not have been repentant at all. People have the option to return to Bible based living, but if they like the people I know that were and are DFed, they were unrepentant. The lifestyle they want to pursue is more important than Bible commandments. I personally have been there and done that. So JWs is accurate 100% in this matter.

How many DF people do you know? If you do know any, how do you know they are being honest about why they were DFed? Because I'm being completely honest and why I left wasn't because of the congregation, family or friends. It was because I knew what the Bible said about what I wanted to do and I didn't care. I knew what Jesus said what should be done to people that do not correct their course from God's standards and I didn't care about that either. Dumbest thing I ever did in my life.

Some people struggle with alcohol for example. I'm fortunate that it is not a struggle for me personally. However, if someone I knew struggled with such a thing (or if I did myself), the Christlike thing for me to do would be offer support, not to alienate them by disfellowshipping them. Consider someone who drinks in excess due to depression. Losing those who were once your friends would only add to the actual problem, which is depression, not that they don't want to follow the Bible. Claiming they don't want to follow the Bible is just a copout IMO and a way to avoid dealing with the actual cause, which is a depression in this case.

https://www.beliefnet.com/inspiration/g ... thers.aspx
Jesus encourages us to follow His lead and serve one another. After washing His disciples feet which was a great act of love, humility and service, Jesus said, “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you� (John 13:15). In this moment, Jesus sets an example for us to follow. Jesus not only led by serving, but He also loved by serving, never placing Himself in a position above others. He washed feet. He fed thousands. He visited and healed the sick and the dead. He spent time with those no one else cared to spend time with. Jesus lived a life of humility.

If you are a JW that struggles with drinking for example, disfellowship takes place.
This is not something a Jesus would have done IMO. This is Watchtower behavior. Something very different IMO.

If being a JW fills some void in your life, I say more power to you. I just wish there wasn't those that would use it as justification for vile behavior (disfellowshipping those in obvious need).

Is Russia (by banning JW) perhaps just pushing back against such behavior? I would be curious about their actual motives if they can be known.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #34

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 33 by Clownboat]

So how many people do you know that are DF from the Jehovah's Witnesses and the reasons why? How many scriptures can provide on the subject? Here is one I think you missed.

“If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.� - Matt 18:17

Do you know who said this and what it means?

tam
Savant

Post #35

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
2timothy316 wrote:
tam wrote:
No, JW is accurate on your situation (at least according to how you interpret 'bible standards'). JW might be accurate on the few other situations that you know.

JW is NOT accurate about the people who leave for other reasons (such as leaving a religion now understood by them to be false). Such as leaving the religion to follow and obey Christ.

You might even know people who have left for those reasons - but since you and your congregation must shun them, you don't know their actual reasons (or you just don't believe them).

How many DF people do you know?

I know some who have been df'd and some who have left on their own.
If you do know any, how do you know they are being honest about why they were DFed?
Some, because I know them and I know that they are following Christ.
Because I'm being completely honest and why I left wasn't because of the congregation, family or friends. It was because I knew what the Bible said about what I wanted to do and I didn't care. I knew what Jesus said what should be done to people that do not correct their course from God's standards and I didn't care about that either. Dumbest thing I ever did in my life.

Well that's you. That is not everyone. I'm sure I know people like that too. But I also know people who left out of love for Christ and God and who are following Christ to this day, obeying HIS commands (not the commands of men).

Your religion is bearing false witness against them.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

(edited to fix the quote box)