Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

Science is a LIE!!!

Post #1

Post by Tart »

(I added the all caps lie and exclamation marks for dramatic effects to amuse myself)

Though, are we really really sure science isnt just a big lie? im serious... And im sure many here will start talking down to me like "yes we know blah bllah blah", and my mind may do a roll over and try to evacuate at any good time... but seriously... are we truly sure science isnt just a big lie??

And come to think of it, before anyone is able to answer... Wheres the proof your not just some robot, created by science, to respond to this? With some kind of response generated from a some kind of program? Shoot if websites make me press a box to prove im not a robot, chances are their out there... words on screens. Faces in pictures. people i never knew, touched, talked with... Science, could have created you guys... Goes to show, at least some science is a lie... Science can be used to lie. People can come to false conclusions. People can hypothesize things that are totally wrong.
Last edited by Tart on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brunumb
Savant

Re: Science is a LIE!!!

Post #2

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 1 by Tart]
Though, are we really really sure science isnt just a big lie?
You may need to clarify Tart. Are you questioning the scientific method or are you suggesting that the things we have discovered in the field of science are false? The scientific method is a process we have devised to explore observations and answer questions about the world we inhabit. It is designed in such a way as to try and eliminate bias or the imaginary and distinguish between reality and fantasy. It is how we removed Zeus from the source of thunder and lightning and replaced him with natural physical phenomena.
Science can be used to lie.
Anything can be used as a tool for lying. At the heart of it is the motivation of the human being involved. People create lies about science, but that does not mean that science or the scientific method is tarnished. Unfortunately many people are gullible and easily misled. When the truth hits home, they will attack the scientific messenger rather than accept their own fault in the matter.
People can come to false conclusions.
True. Human beings are fallible and will often unwittingly make mistakes. But here is where lies the strength of the scientific method. Hypotheses are tested and retested in search of any problems and any false conclusions should eventually be revealed.
People can hypothesize things that are totally wrong.
An hypothesis is a proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation. If it is wrong then hopefully investigation will reveal the error. You also have to understand that scientific theories are provisional in that some future discovery might reveal that they contain errors or that they need to be modified. That does not mean that the science is completely wrong, or a lie as you have suggested. It is always a work in progress.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by Tart]

brnumb covered it well. The subject of the OP seems nothing more than 'click bait'.

'Science' is simply the collection of knowledge we have accumulated through the scientific method. It cannot all be a lie because we are all here communicating with devices created with scientific knowledge. Therefore your subject is in fact the lie.

Even if we were in fact robots, as you oddly muse, those would be the result of science.

Is some knowledge generated by the scientific method wrong? Sure, happens all the time. That is why the scientific method has a built in correction mechanism.

You can prove to yourself whether the scientific method works or not. Pick up an object and hold it over your toes. Hypothesize what might happen. Let go. Record observations. Reevaluate your hypothesis and correct if necessary. Repeat until your hypothesis matches observation. Next you can see if you have created a useful theory by trying to predict behavior that is outside your original experiment. You can also share your findings and method so others can confirm or refute. Any errors will be pointed out and corrected if the examination is rigorous enough.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

benchwarmer wrote: The subject of the OP seems nothing more than 'click bait'.
Agreed. But I'd like to chime in anyway because I have something important to say.

@Tart,

What you have said in the OP actually conveys a gross misunderstanding of science.

I have had many conversations with philosophy-minded people throughout my life, and on quite many occasions they have said something to me along the following lines:

"What if life turns out to be an illusion, a simulation, or some sort of dream that has no physical reality? Just think about it, your entire life studying physics will have all been for naught. A total waste of time barking up a non-existent tree."

But nothing could be further from the truth. All they have done here is display a gross misunderstanding of both physics and philosophy as well as life itself.

The laws of physics apparently exist. They exist whether the world is material, or an illusion of some sort. If the world is an illusion or dream then science is the study of the rules the dream itself is displaying to us. So physics is real whether materialism is real or not. If it's not describing the behavior of a physical world, then it's describing the rules of the illusion.

Science does not need to postulate materialism. All science does is make observations about what we experience. Observations are made. Relationships between observations are proposed and tested. When observations and relationship between them have been experimentally experienced to be consistent, science reports those consistent relationships.

If when you drop a heavy object it falls to earth in a very consistent and precise way that can be predicted, described, and repeated with no observations of deviance from this behavior. Then is reasonable to conclude that this is a law of "Nature".

Note, nothing is said here that that nature has to be materialistic. If it's an illusion, a simulation, or a dream, then apparently its still behaving in this same consistent manner.

The the study of science and physics is never lost. Even if reality turns out to be an illusion, a simulation, or a dream, science is still describing what it does. So the study of physics and science can never be futile.

Can some scientists lie about what they claim to have observed and experienced in experiments? Yes, of course. This is why science, as a larger community, requires independent peer review and independent experimental evidence. Thus preventing science from ever becoming an outright intentional lie.

Is it possible that even with peer review and independent experimental evidence the scientific community, as a whole, could make errors leading to erroneous conclusions? Yes, even the best laid plans of mice and men are not infallible. Honest mistakes and misunderstanding of the evidence can indeed occur. But those wouldn't be lies, they would simply be honest mistakes. Science has made a few mistakes and later had to correct them. A prime example was the mistake of assuming that space and time were absolute. That ultimately turned out to be wrong. But no one is going to say that Newton was a liar. He was simply operating under an incorrect assumption that was popular in his day.

Similarly, scientists used to think that everything could be explained in simple cause-and-effect relationships the were completely deterministic and restricted by the idea that no information can travel faster than the speed of light. They finally had to give up that idea as well.

But just think about it. If the world is a dream, then science is discovering more and more about how the dream works.

Science neither postulates, nor needs to postulate, that the world is materialistic.

So where is there any lies in science? At worst all that can exist are honest mistakes. And science is more than happy to correct for those when discovered.

Science cannot be a lie, even if the world is a dream. If reality is a dream, then science is simply revealing to us the rules under which the dream is being dreamed.

So you can never go wrong studying science. Science tells it like it is. Period.
:D
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Tart »

brunumb wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Tart]
Though, are we really really sure science isnt just a big lie?
You may need to clarify Tart. Are you questioning the scientific method or are you suggesting that the things we have discovered in the field of science are false? The scientific method is a process we have devised to explore observations and answer questions about the world we inhabit. It is designed in such a way as to try and eliminate bias or the imaginary and distinguish between reality and fantasy. It is how we removed Zeus from the source of thunder and lightning and replaced him with natural physical phenomena.
Science can be used to lie.
Anything can be used as a tool for lying. At the heart of it is the motivation of the human being involved. People create lies about science, but that does not mean that science or the scientific method is tarnished. Unfortunately many people are gullible and easily misled. When the truth hits home, they will attack the scientific messenger rather than accept their own fault in the matter.
People can come to false conclusions.
True. Human beings are fallible and will often unwittingly make mistakes. But here is where lies the strength of the scientific method. Hypotheses are tested and retested in search of any problems and any false conclusions should eventually be revealed.
People can hypothesize things that are totally wrong.
An hypothesis is a proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation. If it is wrong then hopefully investigation will reveal the error. You also have to understand that scientific theories are provisional in that some future discovery might reveal that they contain errors or that they need to be modified. That does not mean that the science is completely wrong, or a lie as you have suggested. It is always a work in progress.
Why thank you sir brunumb... Is it a lie? is it not a lie? The scientific method perhaps not. That is if you believe you can trust your senses... If we believe we can trust the things we experience around us... Which is in question... I mean many people suggest Paul to have hallucinated, thus the Christ resurrection he experienced must be false...

Though I suppose we can trust our understandings of the real, to come to conclusions and make scientific theories?

Yes and no? "not always"? Yes? Or no?

I am actually going to download "Discourse on the Method of Rightly Conducting One's Reason and of Seeking Truth in the Sciences" by René Descartes, today...

The man who has been quoted "I think therefor i am" (Cogito, ergo sum) in the same book... The real quote is "I doubt, therefor i think, therefor i am".

Where Descartes bring doubt to his own senses...

Therefor, can the scientific method be trusted? Well if not... what can we trust?

I suppose the conclusions drawn from such things should be established as only theories...

At any moment, they could be proven wrong...

Personally I have been told that nothing can escape the event horizon of a black hole, but iv done it... so... that theory is wrong...

also, im starting to question if the earth is flat...

And certainly Zeus, could have established the lightning that struc.. I was actually reading about Zeus today... This morning... And i wonder if the ideas of these myths live within us... They are alive...

What if we are the myths??? Incarnate?

The Greeks after all are the brains of our world.. Our God's may be living within us, and within all our knowledge, and everything we experience... Which makes up our universe, and the things we perceive that are in it...

Though Zeus has no control over destiny, but simply lets it play its course... Only the true God could control destiny...

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Tart »

I believe that the epics of Greek mythology, can dwell among us... Though, none of them were as powerful as the almighty... Sure, they are the cornerstone of the knowledge of the sciences, philosophy, the governments, and the likes... Though they are not Jesus Christ. The cornerstone of the Temple, the Body of Christ. And the Son of the only true God, even powerful to control destiny.. Unlike the Greek Myth counterparts.

I think the unity of the sciences with these things, is our true reality..
I reserve the right to be wrong about every statement I make, including this one.

I also reserve the right to misinterpret words, though not my intention.

If you believe I have done or said something "wrong", I would encourage you to really evaluate what is "wrong", and what is "right", no matter what it may be. Is there any objective value that can be given to such claims?