Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

Is debating a sin?

Post #1

Post by Tart »

The scripture says to reason, though not to debate..

A fine line?

"18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord" (Isaiah 1:18)

"Keep reminding God's people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen." (2 Timothy 2:14)

Realworldjack
Guru

Re: Is debating a sin?

Post #2

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 1 by Tart]
Acts 9:28-29
So Saul stayed with them and moved about freely in Jerusalem, speaking boldly in the name of the Lord. He talked and debated with the Hellenistic Jews,
Acts 18:28
For he (Apollos) vigorously refuted his Jewish opponents in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Messiah.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Tart »

Realworldjack wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Tart]
Acts 9:28-29
So Saul stayed with them and moved about freely in Jerusalem, speaking boldly in the name of the Lord. He talked and debated with the Hellenistic Jews,
Acts 18:28
For he (Apollos) vigorously refuted his Jewish opponents in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Messiah.
So you are saying debating isnt a sin... or wrong to do... How would you interpret 2 Timothy 2:14?

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Tart »

I mean it may not be... though it may be??

I mean sin itself is a hard subject to ground... So is the great commision... Which i suppose should be at the heart of a debate about Christianity on the Christian side (i suppose)...

I still question... What good is saying anything at all? Or why speak a word? I can talk freely, and say anything i want... But can I? Is there law on speech? Perhaps not in the land, but in God?

I was talking to a priest the other day... He urged me about the sin of foul talk... Though, why?? There must be some significance then just a curse word... Perhaps to curse with words is the true problem...

Maybe a call to live faithful is at hand? Though the great commision is "great"...

Menotu
Sage

Post #5

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by Tart]

Can't debating be considered reasoning? Are we splitting hairs here? Relying too much on semantics?
Maybe instead of debating we should use 'arguing?

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Tart »

Menotu wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Tart]

Can't debating be considered reasoning? Are we splitting hairs here? Relying too much on semantics?
Maybe instead of debating we should use 'arguing?
Yes well i have read from other quotes that discourage debates... Though why?

Sure we can replace debate with arguing... But what is the difference? And why care?

Let all the law be summed up in living faithfully... Ya?

when is it time for someone to wipe off the dust from ones feet and let their peace return to them?

"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words"~Jesus

That is the great commision... isnt it?

Why debate?

Menotu
Sage

Post #7

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 6 by Tart]
Yes well i have read from other quotes that discourage debates... Though why?
Probably has a lot to do with creating independent thought which is the enemy of brainwashing and indoctrination IMO
Sure we can replace debate with arguing... But what is the difference? And why care?
To me, debate is a more polite and thoughtful discussion where arguing seems to include negative connotations
Why debate?
To learn from others and/or about others. But some people just like to argue ;)