Is Christmas a Form of Worship to Jesus Christ?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Is Christmas a form of Worship to Jesus?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 6

2timothy316
Under Probation

Is Christmas a Form of Worship to Jesus Christ?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

There are some that refuse to accept that Jesus is God based on their beliefs. Yet many of these people still celebrate Christmas. So, is Christmas an act of worship to Jesus? If it is, then why would a person that doesn't accept Jesus as God worship Jesus?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: Is Christmas a Form of Worship to Jesus Christ?

Post #81

Post by PinSeeker »

2timothy316 wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
2timothy316 wrote: There are some that refuse to accept that Jesus is God based on their beliefs. Yet many of these people still celebrate Christmas. So, is Christmas an act of worship to Jesus? If it is, then why would a person that doesn't accept Jesus as God worship Jesus?
No, such Christians do not worship Jesus. I am one of them.

Christians who celebrate in this way are celebrating his birth by remembering that event and its significance.

They remember how and why it came about and who sent him.

They also remember how it was revealed and celebrated at the time, as recorded by Matthew and Luke, and rejoice as those then did.

The issue of whether Jesus is or is not God has nothing to do with Christmas.
So you're ok that the religion that instituted Christmas and the majority of Christendom view Jesus as God? You're also ok to absorb that ritual as part of your own religion?

I find all of this intriguing how people justify a holiday no 1st century Christian nor Christ himself celebrated. Folks know Christmas is not based on anything Biblical or a Christian origin but no one seems to care...
This whole debate is really kind of silly. Not that anyone here is "silly," or even that what they are saying is "silly." But just the debate itself is silly. But it continues to come up year after year after year.

Christians celebrate the coming of Christ at a time when pagans celebrated the winter solstice -- because of their worship of nature itself -- the created rather than the Creator -- which, according to Paul, is the base of all sin (Romans 1). Christians in the wake of Jesus's incarnation, death, and resurrection decided to celebrate and worship something -- Something -- worth celebrating and worshiping at the same time pagans were celebrating and worshiping... something else.

It just so happens that on the twenty-fifth of December in the Roman Empire, well after Jesus had ascended, there was a pagan holiday being celebrated on December 25. The Christians didn’t want to participate in that, and so they said, in effect, “While everybody else is celebrating this pagan thing, we’re going to have our own celebration. We’re going to celebrate the Thing that’s most important in our lives, the incarnation of God, the birth of Jesus Christ. So this is going to be a time of joyous festivities, of celebration and worship of our God and King.�

I can’t think of anything more pleasing to Christ than the church celebrating His birthday every year. Keep in mind that the whole principle of annual festival and celebration is deeply rooted in ancient Jewish tradition. In the Old Testament, for example, there were times when God emphatically commanded the people to remember certain events with annual celebrations. While the New Testament doesn’t require that we celebrate Christmas every year, I certainly see nothing wrong with the church’s entering into this joyous time of celebrating the Incarnation, which is the dividing point of all human history. Originally, it was intended to honor not Mithras or any of the other mystery religion cults but the birth of our King.

Incidentally, Easter can be traced to Ishtar in the ancient world. But the Christian church coming together to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus is hardly something I think would provoke the wrath of God. I wish we had more annual festivals. The Roman Catholic Church, for example, celebrates with great joy the Feast of the Ascension every year. Some Protestant bodies do, but most do not. I wish we would celebrate that great event in the life of Christ when He was raised up into heaven to be crowned King of kings and Lord of lords. We celebrate His birth; we celebrate His death. I wish we would also celebrate His coronation.

Grace and peace to all.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #82

Post by PinSeeker »

brianbbs67 wrote: Hannakah is a tradition that doesn't violate God if you want to do it. But, its a tradition, not a Holy Day.
Right, and the same is true of Christmas... if done for the right reasons (celebrating the birth of Christ).
brianbbs67 wrote: We are declare Holy that which is not.
Hm. I would say only God can do that.
brianbbs67 wrote: Holiday IS A COMPOUND word, made of Holy and Day.
Right. No one day is holy, really. We can celebrate holy things -- THE Holy Thing -- on any day of the year. And should.

Grace and peace to all.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #83

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 76 by Checkpoint]

The narratives have been twisted and embellished. If you can't see that, there is no use discussing it further.;/quote]

Yes, I do see how it has been twisted and embellished, and added to.

But I also see how it has been challenged, misread, and taken away from.
n
We need to accept the narratives as written, and not be so ready to throw stones.

Grace and peace to you.
Yes, and that is part of my point. The narratives as written do not match up to how they are presented at Christmas time. There are many things that just aren't accurate, so why would we want to go along with the crowd?

If "the crowd" is the world, this system of things, no, we Christians don't go along with them.

But if "the crowd" is Christian, we do join together to remember and celebrate the coming and birth of our Savior and king.
The narrative says, for another example, that shepherds were out in the fields with their flocks. They wouldn't have been out in the fields in December. It would've been too cold. So December 25 was added to the story, and it is not correct. There are so many other things that are not consistent with the narrative, as I have pointed out. You say we should just take the narratives at face value, and I agree. The celebration of Christmas does not.
The reason it does not do so completely is because of mistakes and choices made many centuries ago.

They are the bathwater.

It is not sufficient reason to refuse to remember and rejoice with others in his birth and what it meant.

Grace and peace to you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #84

Post by JehovahsWitness »

PinSeeker wrote: Right. No one day is holy, really. We can celebrate holy things -- THE Holy Thing -- on any day of the year. And should.

On this I think we can all agree. There is no need for a decorated tree or candles or or presents (what present can we give Jesus for his birthday anyway), there is no need for a cake or any of the other paraphernalia, just try and live 365 days honouring the king with our obedience.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #85

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 83 by Checkpoint]

O.K. I have rested my case. I can't add anything further to what I've already said. How more clearly I could have said it, I don't know.

Christians? I really don't think that people who swallow the blatant additions to the birth narrative could truly be Christians. I'm sorry, but I have learned from the Bible that Christians don't try to mix their light with darkness. They don't eat at the table of demons and try to say that they eat at God's table too so what's the harm.

That's all I'll say on this subject. We'll see what Christ thinks when he comes back.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #86

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: There is no need for a decorated tree or candles or or presents (what present can we give Jesus for his birthday anyway), there is no need for a cake or any of the other paraphernalia...
There's no "need," but there's nothing wrong with it, either:
  • * The tree can point us to Jesus, the Object of our affection, the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2).

* The candles can remind us the one true Light of the world (John 8:12).

* The cake can remind us to taste and see that He is good (Psalm 34:8), that God's words are -- His Word, Who is God (John 1:1), is -- sweet to the taste (Psalm 119:103).

* Giving to each other can remind us of what God has given us in Himself in the form of Jesus, the true Gift.
Merry Christmas to all.

Grace and peace.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #87

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 83 by Checkpoint]

O.K. I have rested my case. I can't add anything further to what I've already said. How more clearly I could have said it, I don't know.
Fair enough.
Christians? I really don't think that people who swallow the blatant additions to the birth narrative could truly be Christians. I'm sorry, but I have learned from the Bible that Christians don't try to mix their light with darkness. They don't eat at the table of demons and try to say that they eat at God's table too so what's the harm.
Well said.

However, you have weakened your case by your own "blatant additions to the birth narrative".

I refer to your version of the "wise men" story.
That's all I'll say on this subject. We'll see what Christ thinks when he comes back.
Yes, on this subject we have to agree to disagree.

Indeed, on that day all will be made known.

Mercy triumphs over judgment.
1 Corinthians 3:

10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care.
11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw,
13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work.

14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward.
15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
May grace and peace be yours in abundance.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #88

Post by brianbbs67 »

What about what God said about worshipping Him like the pagans worship their gods? Didn't He say they were abominations and anathema? They throw and pass their children throught the fire?

There are days declared holy by God. 7. Holy days by man, 0. So do we not give affront to God for declaring something Holy which is not? Wasn't that Israel's whole problem in the OT? God declares the Holy. Man can not do that as we are not.(even the golden calf was a representation of God) There is the profanity of today, holidays. Which aren't.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #89

Post by onewithhim »

PinSeeker wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: There is no need for a decorated tree or candles or or presents (what present can we give Jesus for his birthday anyway), there is no need for a cake or any of the other paraphernalia...
There's no "need," but there's nothing wrong with it, either:
  • * The tree can point us to Jesus, the Object of our affection, the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2).

* The candles can remind us the one true Light of the world (John 8:12).

* The cake can remind us to taste and see that He is good (Psalm 34:8), that God's words are -- His Word, Who is God (John 1:1), is -- sweet to the taste (Psalm 119:103).

* Giving to each other can remind us of what God has given us in Himself in the form of Jesus, the true Gift.
Merry Christmas to all.

Grace and peace.
I find it somewhat disrespectful to set up a phallic symbol in my house and say that it points to Jesus.

We have cake throughout the year, as well as candles.

We give to each other often throughout the year, and without the pagan trappings.

;)