Is the Catholic Alpha movement really Catholic?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Is the Catholic Alpha movement really Catholic?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Is anyone familiar with this new form of Christianity?

“An evaluation of Alpha materials reveals that Alpha does not offer simply \"basic Christian truths\" common to all, but presents specific teachings on the Church, the Sacraments, and the gifts of the Holy Spirit that constitute the theology of the Charismatic Protestantism which gave birth to Alpha.

An Individualistic Christianity. Alpha presents a gospel which is reduced to \"me and Jesus,\" and the Church becomes merely a gathering of people who have come to faith in Christ.�

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Is the Catholic Alpha movement really Catholic?

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

polonius wrote: Is anyone familiar with this new form of Christianity?

“An evaluation of Alpha materials reveals that Alpha does not offer simply "basic Christian truths" common to all, but presents specific teachings on the Church, the Sacraments, and the gifts of the Holy Spirit that constitute the theology of the Charismatic Protestantism which gave birth to Alpha.

An Individualistic Christianity. Alpha presents a gospel which is reduced to "me and Jesus," and the Church becomes merely a gathering of people who have come to faith in Christ.�
I'm not familiar with this theology as a formal doctrine, but I do know that a lot of Christians are fed up with the church and are becoming "lone Christians" not bothering to attend church on a regular basis if ever.

As far as the fighting between Catholics and Protestants is concerned, I think that the two factions may be adopting some of the theology and practices of the other side. This "Alpha movement" you speak of might be some Protestant theology that has made its way into Catholicism. As this phenomenon progresses, the line between Catholic and Protestant may become increasingly blurred.