Civil Debates on Christianity and Religions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic
Difflugia
First Post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:03 pm  Beliefs about apologetic harmonizations Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure how to ask this, but I'm trying to get a feel for why people believe apologetic harmonizations reflect what's actually true.

This stems from a discussion about the nativity stories of Matthew and Luke. Matthew and Luke describe what I see as two completely incompatible narratives. Apologists claim that a combined narrative that essentially alternates events explains them. While I understand such explanations in the "it's not impossible" sense, I can't believe that they reflect history. Why do others disagree?

Other examples are harmonizations of the two deaths of Judas, Jesus cleansing the temple both at the beginning and end of his ministry, and sermons on both the mount and plain.

Are the Bible authors aware of both events when they write about one or the other? Did God mean for them to be puzzles? What do you think the relationships are between history, the biblical authors, and God?

I posted this here in the non-debate section because I'm interested in having answers included that might be based on gut feelings or maybe just not supportable in a logical or rigorous way. If I question answers, it's because I'm looking for clarification and not argument.

Thanks in advance.
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 11: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:05 am

Like this post
[Replying to post 10 by JehovahsWitness]

The above principle applies to both the gospels but also for any other bible teaching. It's importance cannot be over emphasized.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 12: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:11 am

Like this post
Double. My apologies.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 13: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:45 am

Like this post
[Replying to post 9 by Divine Insight]

There are plenty of justifications that I can give for what I've asserted. But, this is not the place to do it. I really should go and write those books....

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 14: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Like this post (1): otseng
otseng wrote:

[Replying to post 9 by Divine Insight]

There are plenty of justifications that I can give for what I've asserted. But, this is not the place to do it. I really should go and write those books....

Not quite either of the fear of writing phobias – Graphophobia or Scriptophobia...maybe we need to coin a new phobia including the word atelophobia which refers to the fear of being imperfect, Smile

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter