Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Was Jesus unwell?

Post #1

Post by marco »

When asked to defend his position Jesus said - according to Matthew of course -
"Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?" Matthew 26: 53

I suspect the listener quite certainly felt the appeal for twelve legions would be met with silence. But Christ's boast was never tested.

One wonders what twelve legions of angels would be armed with; and one also ponders why a single angel would not suffice. I am often told that context is important and Christ is speaking at a time when the major world power accepted Mercury as a divine messenger; Gabriel is maybe Mercury by another name.

If Jesus genuinely thought that he had armies of angels at his disposal can we deduce he was mentally ill?

If a man on trial today said he could summon a regiment of aliens to help him, he might be judged not guilty but insane. Why do we treat Jesus differently?

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by Tart »

I guess this guy thinks his thoughts and beliefs make him better, cuz he doesn’t believe In God...

marco
Savant

Re: Was Jesus unwell?

Post #12

Post by marco »

Tart wrote:
Is it a crime to think a certain way? Are you really suggesting that thought in this manner could be “wrong� in some sense!? Is mental illness a crime!!?? A sin to simply live as God made you!!!???

Do you believe that the doctors who diagnose someone as mentally ill are bad? If we admire the work of a poet but accept he was insane, in what way are we saying the poet was sinful?

Poor Jesus may have lived in a world where he heard voices and accepted that angels flew like fairies through the sky. Perhaps his family knew more than the evangelists tell us.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Tart »

I hear voices.., you got a problem with that?

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Tart »

People will spend entire doctoral degrees studying the visions of Danial the prophet, but then dismiss a prophet as a fool...

Is it wrong? Prophecy is foolishness, is what I think. Though we have no choice but to be carried away in the spirit...

marco
Savant

Post #15

Post by marco »

Tart wrote: I hear voices.., you got a problem with that?
I don't see the relevance of that information to the 1st century preacher, Jesus Christ. Nor does it seem to address the question in my OP.

Do you think Jesus was unwell?

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Tart »

[Replying to marco]

Absolutely not... Let values of “wrong� be set at evilness

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Tart »

But even if he was �unwell� in some context that has nothing to do with being “wrong�, let faith prevail... He was faithful... And we can live faithful because of God.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Tart »

Shoot even if Jesus was “wrong� in some sense, or say a follower of his sins, even then I believe in forgiveness and faithfulness... in the ransacking of heaven, leave me with nothing and I believe in forgiveness. Put me at the gates of hell, put me in hell itself and I believe in faithfulness and forgiveness... If someone is wrong let God be the judge... who the heck are you Marco?