Sign of Jonah unfulfilled...False prophecy..False Prophet

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Sign of Jonah unfulfilled...False prophecy..False Prophet

Post #1

Post by Red Wolf »

An interesting fact concerning Jesus' post resurrection appearances is that the only people that the Bible reports having seen the allegedly risen Jesus are followers of Jesus.
If the church of Scientology reported that L Ron Hubbard rose from the dead, met with his followers and then after 40 days went to heaven, would you believe that Hubbard rose from the dead? Do you believe that Jesus rose from the dead, met with his followers for 40 days and then went to heaven?

According to the gospels, Jesus made the following prophecy.....
Matthew 12:39-40(King James Version)
39But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
40For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

In this prophecy, Jesus is predicting his death, and that after 3 days and 3 nights in the grave, he would show himself to his "evil and adulterous generation" as a sign that he had risen from the dead.

The prophecy failed because Jesus never showed himself alive to his "evil and adulterous generation" as a sign that he had risen from the dead.
Jesus only showed himself to his own followers according to the Bible. Presumedly, his own followers were not evil and adulterous.

Proof positive...an unfulfilled prophecy...a false prophet...no resurrection.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 1 by Red Wolf]

Moderator Intervention

Again, please formulate a specific question for debate in order to avoid having your topic moved to Random Ramblings.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Red Wolf »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Red Wolf]

Moderator Intervention

Again, please formulate a specific question for debate in order to avoid having your topic moved to Random Ramblings.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.
Could the resurrection story possibly be true if Jesus' prophecy is definitely unfulfilled? I say NO!

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Checkpoint »

Red Wolf wrote:

Moderator Intervention

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Could the resurrection story possibly be true if Jesus' prophecy is definitely unfulfilled? I say NO!
Again, surely, this belongs in the C & A; not here?

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Red Wolf »

Checkpoint wrote:
Red Wolf wrote:

Moderator Intervention

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Again, surely, this belongs in the C & A; not here?
Here is a Question related to my post....

I think it is evident that I do not believe that Jesus rose from the dead. I supplied proof to substantiate my assertion that Jesus is dead in my original post on this thread. ...he did not rise.

Wootah
Savant

Re: Sign of Jonah unfulfilled...False prophecy..False Prophe

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Red Wolf]

Jesus is saying in Matthew v39 no sign will be given other than ressurection.
We in our wicked and adulterous generation have the sign of Jonah, Jesus' resurrection.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Red Wolf wrote: If the church of Scientology reported that L Ron Hubbard rose from the dead, met with his followers and then after 40 days went to heaven, would you believe that Hubbard rose from the dead? Do you believe that Jesus rose from the dead, met with his followers for 40 days and then went to heaven?...
And then what? What would it matter if L Ron Hubbard rose from the dead? What difference would it make? Why should we care about that?
Red Wolf wrote: …he would show himself to his "evil and adulterous generation�…
He didn’t promise to show himself. He promised the sing and the sign is that he is 3 days and nights in grave. And at least by what the Bible tells, also other than disciples got the news that the grave is empty. To fulfill the prophesy, he needed to be out of the grave in 72 hours.

Menotu
Sage

Post #8

Post by Menotu »

Red Wolf wrote: An interesting fact concerning Jesus' post resurrection appearances is that the only people that the Bible reports having seen the allegedly risen Jesus are followers of Jesus.
If the church of Scientology reported that L Ron Hubbard rose from the dead, met with his followers and then after 40 days went to heaven, would you believe that Hubbard rose from the dead? Do you believe that Jesus rose from the dead, met with his followers for 40 days and then went to heaven?

According to the gospels, Jesus made the following prophecy.....
Matthew 12:39-40(King James Version)
39But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
40For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

In this prophecy, Jesus is predicting his death, and that after 3 days and 3 nights in the grave, he would show himself to his "evil and adulterous generation" as a sign that he had risen from the dead.

The prophecy failed because Jesus never showed himself alive to his "evil and adulterous generation" as a sign that he had risen from the dead.
Jesus only showed himself to his own followers according to the Bible. Presumedly, his own followers were not evil and adulterous.

Proof positive...an unfulfilled prophecy...a false prophet...no resurrection.
I don't think that's proof positive.
Highly suspect? Absolutely.
But your comparison to LRH is apt (and reminds me of the South Park episode).
We all know if someone said LRH was back, only some of the followers would believe. And the only ones to perpetuate such a farce would be people in his inner circle that would benefit from it. No reason to think Christianity would be much different.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote: He didn’t promise to show himself. He promised the sing and the sign is that he is 3 days and nights in grave. And at least by what the Bible tells, also other than disciples got the news that the grave is empty. To fulfill the prophesy, he needed to be out of the grave in 72 hours.
Bold added

What mental gymnastics are required to make Friday evening to Sunday morning 'three days and nights in the grave'?

Isn't 36 hours (or so) being 'dead' just a minor inconvenience (if that) for a supposedly eternal 'god' (or 1/3 part thereof)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Difflugia »

Red Wolf wrote:In this prophecy, Jesus is predicting his death, and that after 3 days and 3 nights in the grave, he would show himself to his "evil and adulterous generation" as a sign that he had risen from the dead.
Whether or not it originated with Jesus, the tradition that Jesus fulfilled "the sign of Jonah" most likely didn't originate with Matthew because Matthew got it wrong. Luke understood what "the sign of Jonah" meant, though (Luke 11:29-30):
And when the multitudes were gathering together unto him, he began to say, "This generation is an evil generation: it seeks after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it but the sign of Jonah. For even as Jonah became a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation."
The "sign of Jonah" is just an ironic way of saying no sign but the prophet's message. The time spent in the fish wasn't a sign to the Ninevites, but was a sign to Jonah himself. According to the book of Jonah, the only sign the Ninevites got was Jonah's appearance and message. (Jonah 3:4-5):
And Jonah began to enter into the city a day’s journey, and he cried, and said, "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown." And the people of Nineveh believed God; and they proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
Zzyzx wrote:What mental gymnastics are required to make Friday evening to Sunday morning 'three days and nights in the grave'?
I think Matthew originally changed Mark's timeline to start on Thursday. As it exists now, Matthew 27:62 is bizarrely worded:
Now on the next day, which is the day after the Preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees were gathered together unto Pilate...
The "day after the Preparation" is just an awkward way of saying "the Sabbath." It would be like saying "the day after the last day of the month" to mean the first of the following month. I think Matthew originally had, "...on the next day, the day of the Preparation..." to put the crucifixion on Thursday and give himself three days and three nights. Sometime shortly thereafter (there's admittedly no textual evidence of my guess), a scribe changed it what we have now to re-harmonize it with Mark and Luke.