Jesus" Robe Proves the Resurrection Story is Fiction.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Jesus" Robe Proves the Resurrection Story is Fiction.

Post #1

Post by Red Wolf »

Sometimes small details can affect the believability of a story.
Examine the following Scriptures to see what I mean concerning details.

Matthew 27:26-31(King James Version)
26Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.

27Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers.

28And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe.

29And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!

30And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head.

31And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him.

The details of the above passage have always seemed to me to be a fabrication because they don't make sense.
Jesus is scourged, whipped, beaten. If that movie by Mel Gibson, ""the Passion of Christ"", is anything like the truth, then Jesus was turned into a bloody mess.

Then the soldiers ""stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe"".
Wouldn't Jesus have already been "stripped" when he was scourged? I have seen many movies and they always whip someone on his bare back rather than whip him with his clothes on. It doesn't make sense if they stripped him, whipped him, dressed him, stripped him, and then put a scarlet robe on him.

Now back in the days of Jesus, clothing was expensive, because it took a lot of work to weave the cloth by hand. Nowadays we have machines to weave cloth and artificial fibers, and you can buy clothing cheaply at Wal-Mart. But back then clothing was expensive. It seems odd to me that the soldiers would put a scarlet robe on the bloody body of Jesus and risk ruining an expensive garment. Scarlet was a royal color because it was expensive and difficult to make the dye to produce a scarlet garment. It does not seem believable that the soldiers would waste money, by getting an expensive garment all bloody with Jesus' blood.

Then ""after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him,"". Now we all know that when Jesus was crucified the Roman soldiers drew lots for Jesus' clothes. They wanted Jesus' clothes because they could sell them because used clothes had value. So why would the soldiers put Jesus' clothes back on him and just like the scarlet robe, get them all bloody with blood stains. They knew they were going to sell his clothes so why ruin their value by getting them stained with blood?

As you can see, there are details of this story which don't make sense.
I see this as evidence of fabrication.

If you read the Bible passages and read my analysis, can you possibly still believe in the ridiculous tale of Jesus' resurrection? What do you say?

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Jesus" Robe Proves the Resurrection Story is Fictio

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 1 by Red Wolf]

If there are errors and inconsistencies in the crucifixion account, that does not necessarily invalidate the resurrection accounts.

Nor does it mean Jesus was not crucified. Why would it?

Inconsistencies in retelling even real events are not uncommon.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

It doesn't seem as if Mattew is presenting events in a strictly chronological order, but even so it seems unlikely the soldiers would have transported a naked Jesus from one location to another, especially through the governors palace, King herods residence or through the crowded streets of Jerusalem in broad daylight the day before a religious holiday.

Roman soldiers wore coloured tunics including red ones so the robe was probably an old or discarded one of theirs. As for Herod's "fine robes", they were unlikely to be on ration for him.

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Red Wolf »

[Replying to post 2 by Elijah John]

So are you asserting that there are errors in the Bible?

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

Matthew says:

"And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and for my clothing did they cast lots."

He is not remotely interested in actual details of some execution; his intention is to pick out bits of Scripture to match something in Christ's life. Matthew is the most unreliable recorder of events so details of Christ's garments don't add to or subtract from what really happened.

Jesus was buried in funeral garments. They were left behind in the sepulchre. So we have an unrecorded miracle that Jesus conjured up new clothes so as to walk to Galilee or he went naked. One would have thought he would have walked directly to his friends rather than cause the multiple confusions that resulted in his post mortem sleep walk. Basically we must regard Matthew as a fiction writer and what he says proves nothing either way.