Savant

Should Christians keep the law?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

From the thread Keeping the commandments:
Tart wrote: Do you keep the law?
Questions for debate:
Should Christians keep the law?
If so, how much of the laws should we keep?

otseng
Savant

Post #121

Post by otseng »

I came across a fascinating visualization that shows the importance of the law (Torah).

https://www.chrisharrison.net/index.php ... s/BibleViz

The visualization was created by Chris Harrison (not a Christian from what I can tell). The data was provided by Christoph Römhild, a Lutheran pastor.

The arcs on top show passage references between verses. (It's more evident in this interactive visualization.) The arcs show to me the harmony, unity and interconnectedness of the Bible.

The bottom shows the length of verses, of which there is one long line right in the middle. Of course, this is referring to Psalm 119. Is it coincidental that this chapter of the Bible stands out so much? It's as if this chapter of the Bible is underlined, highlighted, bolded, and circled so everyone can see this is an important chapter. No other chapter of the Bible even comes close to its length.

C.S. Lewis comments about Psalm 119, "It is a pattern, a thing done like embroidery, stitch by stitch, through long, quiet hours, for love of the subject and for the delight in leisurely, disciplined craftsmanship."

What is Psalm 119 about?

"It is a prayer of one who delights in and lives by the Torah, the sacred law."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_119

The visualization graphically demonstrates the beauty of the Torah, that it is extremely important, and we should delight in and live by it.

marco
Savant

Post #122

Post by marco »

onewithhim wrote:
Do you think that if you really read people's posts and thought about them, you might learn something?

Moderator Comment

Your question comes across as uncivil. Such advice to other posters is not required.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #123

Post by brianbbs67 »

otseng wrote: I came across a fascinating visualization that shows the importance of the law (Torah).

https://www.chrisharrison.net/index.php ... s/BibleViz

The visualization was created by Chris Harrison (not a Christian from what I can tell). The data was provided by Christoph Römhild, a Lutheran pastor.

The arcs on top show passage references between verses. (It's more evident in this interactive visualization.) The arcs show to me the harmony, unity and interconnectedness of the Bible.

The bottom shows the length of verses, of which there is one long line right in the middle. Of course, this is referring to Psalm 119. Is it coincidental that this chapter of the Bible stands out so much? It's as if this chapter of the Bible is underlined, highlighted, bolded, and circled so everyone can see this is an important chapter. No other chapter of the Bible even comes close to its length.

C.S. Lewis comments about Psalm 119, "It is a pattern, a thing done like embroidery, stitch by stitch, through long, quiet hours, for love of the subject and for the delight in leisurely, disciplined craftsmanship."

What is Psalm 119 about?

"It is a prayer of one who delights in and lives by the Torah, the sacred law."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_119

The visualization graphically demonstrates the beauty of the Torah, that it is extremely important, and we should delight in and live by it.
119 is the Psalm that all should read until understood. It is the longest by far but the most informative as to how to live.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #124

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to post 108 by 2timothy316]
What scriptures can you show to support this?
Good Evening

It was a shadow of justification, (among other things) {Rom 5:9 Justified by the Blood of Christ} that one might be able to approach God, {Heb 9:11-15} and yet, the blood of goats and bulls could not justify them, {Heb 10:4} hence, the Priest, after washings, and numerous sacrifices, was able to enter into the Holy of Holies for the people, once a year... but now, Christ, our High Priest, entered once, with his own blood, to make atonement for the people. {Heb 9.12}

I didn't look at the site... so I don't know what it says there. This is what it says in the Bible. That's usually the best place to find answers about what it means.

Sacrifice was instituted after the covenant was made, signed with blood and ratified by the people {Exo 24:1-8 Jer 7:22-23} and God as a covering for sin, (The sacrifice purified, or made clean or as it says in the NT, justified a man that he might be able to go before God into the Holy of Holies. Num 19:2-21 but it did not remove his sins. Heb 10:4 )

(Read what was listed in the time Moses spent with God during the 40 D&N on Mt. Sinai. The only sacrifice it speaks of is the Passover. After that, God amended the covenant and gave Moses another set of Tablets. Exo 34:10) It was to teach them that sin came with a cost... and sin brings death. {Rom 6:23 Gen 2:17} I imagine it is the same reason that the sacrifices will be instituted in the millennium, to etch into their minds, to sink into their hearts, that sin is horrible and comes with a heavy price. {Eze 18:4}

Soj

onewithhim
Savant

Post #125

Post by onewithhim »

marco wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Do you think that if you really read people's posts and thought about them, you might learn something?

Moderator Comment

Your question comes across as uncivil. Such advice to other posters is not required.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
I regret that my comment came across as uncivil. I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I was trying to convince, in a rather childish way, the person to actually read people's posts. I'll be more civil.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #126

Post by brianbbs67 »

The biggest evidence that the Law should still be kept is Jesus never said it would end, quite the opposite. Jesus was a Jew of the house of David(if we believe). He preached strict Torah observance without the traditions of man that negated God's law. Even today Jews make the same mistake. They actually hold their traditions sacred over the law.

The Torah statutes are actually easy to follow. Once you learn that Torah means instructions. So its just God's instructions on how to live and eat on this world. A lot of it is common sense health wise. Either way, the yoke is light. Jesus's disciple taught and worshipped in the Temple and synagogues observing all the feasts of Israel as this was a Hebrew movement. Jesus created no new religion. He showed a way back to God's commands. Nothing else.

otseng
Savant

Post #127

Post by otseng »

brianbbs67 wrote:So its just God's instructions on how to live and eat on this world.
Yes. And if you don't obey the instruction manual, then things can go wrong.

I was thinking about this with the coronavirus outbreak in China. If you eat snakes, then a situation like this can happen where there is a pandemic.
A new coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China, that has claimed 17 lives may have been transmitted to people from snakes, according to a genetic analysis. The snakes may have caught the virus from bats in the food market in which both animals were sold.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... om-snakes/
Not to eat of things that creep upon the earth (Lev. 11:41-42)
http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm#Kashrut

[Lev 11:41-42 KJV] And every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth [shall be] an abomination; it shall not be eaten. Whatsoever goeth upon the belly, and whatsoever goeth upon [all] four, or whatsoever hath more feet among all creeping things that creep upon the earth, them ye shall not eat; for they [are] an abomination.
Wuhan was effectively put under quarantine on Wednesday. Now three more nearby metropolises — Huanggang, Ezhou, and Chiba — are shut down as well, The Guardian reports. Along with Wuhan’s 11 million, that brings the total up to about 20 million residents who are now physically isolated from the world.
https://futurism.com/neoscope/china-qua ... s-pandemic

Tcg
Savant

Post #128

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:So its just God's instructions on how to live and eat on this world.

I was thinking about this with the coronavirus outbreak in China. If you eat snakes, then a situation like this can happen where there is a pandemic.
A new coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China, that has claimed 17 lives may have been transmitted to people from snakes, according to a genetic analysis. The snakes may have caught the virus from bats in the food market in which both animals were sold.

[Lev 11:41-42 KJV] And every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth [shall be] an abomination; it shall not be eaten. Whatsoever goeth upon the belly, and whatsoever goeth upon [all] four, or whatsoever hath more feet among all creeping things that creep upon the earth, them ye shall not eat; for they [are] an abomination.
Wuhan was effectively put under quarantine on Wednesday. Now three more nearby metropolises — Huanggang, Ezhou, and Chiba — are shut down as well, The Guardian reports. Along with Wuhan’s 11 million, that brings the total up to about 20 million residents who are now physically isolated from the world.
How are we to view the Leviticus 11 passage in light of the instructions Peter received in Acts 11?
  • 5 “I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision, something like a great sheet descending, being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to me. 6 Looking at it closely, I observed animals and beasts of prey and reptiles and birds of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Rise, Peter; kill and eat.’ 8 But I said, ‘By no means, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’ 9 But the voice answered a second time from heaven, ‘What God has made clean, do not call common.’

<bolding mine>
Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #129

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 126 by otseng]

I said the exact thing to my wife(she disagrees). Unclean lead to the disease(or spread it). Not that you could not get it anyway but it mitigated your chances by eating clean.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #130

Post by brianbbs67 »

Tcg wrote:
otseng wrote:

How are we to view the Leviticus 11 passage in light of the instructions Peter received in Acts 11?
  • 5 “I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision, something like a great sheet descending, being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to me. 6 Looking at it closely, I observed animals and beasts of prey and reptiles and birds of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Rise, Peter; kill and eat.’ 8 But I said, ‘By no means, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’ 9 But the voice answered a second time from heaven, ‘What God has made clean, do not call common.’

<bolding mine>
Tcg
The vision pertained to Gentiles that they had been called to minister to in that time. If Peter had thought it was about food, he would have said so(even if that crossed his mind, it would have been negated quickly as God never taught against His law). He didn't realize what it could be about until he met 3 Samaritans. The next day.