What proves the Bible is God's truth?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

What proves the Bible is God's truth?

Post #1

Post by marco »

If an alien came to Earth and read the Bible what would tell him that it was a God-inspired piece of literature? Would he not see it as an attempted history of some tribe who liked the idea they were the favourites of a God?

What has caused modern folk to accept Hebrew history as opposed to Greek or Babylonian or Egyptian and through the agency of somebody with the nickname "Anointed Saviour" develop a system of varied beliefs? Instead of wooden poles they have built huge buildings.

What's the objective test that the Bible comes from God?
Why have people adopted the Jewish scripture, yet have rejected them in favour of an update?

Savant

Re: What proves the Bible is God's truth?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: …
Why have people adopted the Jewish scripture, yet have rejected them in favour of an update?
I have adopted Bible, because I think it has great wisdom and truth. For me Bible is mainly about what is good and right and I think it is correct. For me it is not so much matter of belief, but matter of understanding. It has been great help for me. But obviously Bible is also history book and about the future. I believe the history, because the teachings are so good that I trust that also the history is correct. Person who has good teaching, doesn’t probably lie. And the future is easy to believe, when I see what people are.

One reason why I believe is also that atheist have failed to show any mistake in the Bible and make lot of false claims about the Bible. If Bible would be wrong, there would be no need to make lies about it, to show it is not correct.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
marco wrote: …
I have adopted Bible, because I think it has great wisdom and truth.
The question the OP asks is this:
  • What proves the Bible is God's truth?
It doesn't ask why you think it does. It asks what proves it does.
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:

I have adopted Bible, because I think it has great wisdom and truth. For me Bible is mainly about what is good and right and I think it is correct.
I'm not sure that somebody's personal vote of confidence means much. If you find "wisdom" and "Truth" in the bible you can surely also find foolishness and error, if you look closely enough.

1213 wrote:

One reason why I believe is also that atheists have failed to show any mistake in the Bible and make lot of false claims about the Bible. If Bible would be wrong, there would be no need to make lies about it, to show it is not correct.
Those people who make false claims presumably are intelligent enough to see their claims are false, if you have managed the feat. If on the other hand we find a preposterous claim made in the bible, but "faith" still accepts it, intelligence has nothing to do with it. For example I constantly point to Matthew's stupid claim that the corpses of "holy men" got up from their graves and walked to Jerusalem. Do you find this claim feasible?

So what "proves" the bible true for you is the inability of some people to find any errors. There is an entire industry devoted to covering up errors by redefining terms, changing dates, inventing other possibilities.... when is an error not an error? Just read the genealogy of Jesus traced back to caveman times. Do you think this is at all possible? If so, there is nothing in the book, however, grotesque and silly, that will appear mistaken. Faith is blind to errors. It has to be.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by polonius »

12, 13 posted:

(quote) One reason why I believe is also that atheist have failed to show any mistake in the Bible and make lot of false claims about the Bible. If Bible would be wrong, there would be no need to make lies about it, to show it is not correct.(quote)

RESPONSE: What about Matthew's claim that Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod (died 4 BC) and Luke's claim that Jesus was born during the 6 AD Judean Census?

That's a ten year difference. Were there two sons of Mary named Jesus or is one (or both) in error??

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

polonius wrote: 12, 13 posted:

(quote) One reason why I believe is also that atheist have failed to show any mistake in the Bible and make lot of false claims about the Bible. If Bible would be wrong, there would be no need to make lies about it, to show it is not correct.(quote)

RESPONSE: What about Matthew's claim that Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod (died 4 BC) and Luke's claim that Jesus was born during the 6 AD Judean Census?

That's a ten year difference. Were there two sons of Mary named Jesus or is one (or both) in error??

It is easy to illustrate the lack of truth in the Bible, Polonius. It is a much harder task to find a way of showing the Bible is divine truth. It seems so obvious it is not, yet there are people who maintain it is. One wonders why.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: …
The question the OP asks is this:
  • What proves the Bible is God's truth?
It doesn't ask why you think it does. It asks what proves it does.
There was also question: “Why have people adopted the Jewish scripture….�. And I wanted to answer to that, because the question “what proves� is for mathematical situations usually.

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: … For example I constantly point to Matthew's stupid claim that the corpses of "holy men" got up from their graves and walked to Jerusalem. Do you find this claim feasible?

I believe, that what is told in the Bible, is possible. Bible doesn’t speak about “corpses�, which means dead bodies. Those who were raised were not dead bodies. How could you prove it could not have happened?
marco wrote:…Just read the genealogy of Jesus traced back to caveman times. Do you think this is at all possible? ...
Can’t be proven wrong.

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

polonius wrote: …RESPONSE: What about Matthew's claim that Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod (died 4 BC) and Luke's claim that Jesus was born during the 6 AD Judean Census?
Bible doesn’t give the dates 4 BC and 6 AD and I have no reason to believe that they are correct.

SallyF
Guru

Post #10

Post by SallyF »

What's the objective test that the Bible comes from God?
I have NEVER seen such a thing.

BUT …

Charismatic preachers with a polished sales pitch and some entertaining shenanigans …

Have gained the confidence of the everyday folk for thousands of years.

And millions of the everyday folk will believe that the Divine Leader on sale by the preacher will shower them with great blessings and eternal life through salvation, etc, etc, etc …!!!

And they won't even give a thought to objectively testing the propositions that have so effectively influenced their psyche.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.