What is the difference between...

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

What is the difference between...

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Historia has a thought provoking topic on this forum inviting users to rank the 5 most influential theologians in Christian history.

Some of the replies seem to include preachers and prophets as well as actual theologians.

Granted there is some overlap, but for debate, what is the difference between a preacher, a prophet and a theologian?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Red Wolf »

What's the difference???? Could it be how much they are paid???

Tcg
Savant

Re: What is the difference between...

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote: Historia has a thought provoking topic on this forum inviting users to rank the 5 most influential theologians in Christian history.

Some of the replies seem to include preachers and prophets as well as actual theologians.

Granted there is some overlap, but for debate, what is the difference between a preacher, a prophet and a theologian?
Prophets claim to have direct messages from a God of some sort.

Theologians examine the claims prophets make.

Preachers present the claims of prophets and the findings of theologians and attempt to convince people to give them money for doing so.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

Tcg wrote:
Elijah John wrote: Historia has a thought provoking topic on this forum inviting users to rank the 5 most influential theologians in Christian history.

Preachers present the claims of prophets and the findings of theologians and attempt to convince people to give them money for doing so.

Tcg
Well said.

I would add that preachers, (ideally and the good ones) present the claims of the prophets in ways applicable to everyday life for their congregants, and to convince others to adopt the views of their favorite theologian(s). Let's not unduly sully the good ones with profit motive. ;)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by Adstar »

Prophet : A person who receives communications directly from God and shares that information..

Preacher: A person who receives information primarily from the scriptures and shares that information.. Added to this they have a recognized function as the leader of a congregation..

Theologian: A person who receives information primarily from scriptures and shares that information but often does not have a leadership role in any congregation..

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #6

Post by brianbbs67 »

Tcg wrote:

Tcg
I agree, but think the Preachers should never do as suggested.