Magical and Supernatural Elements

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

Magical and Supernatural Elements

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

Fantasy is a genre of literature that features magical and supernatural elements that do not exist in the real world. Although some writers juxtapose a real-world setting with fantastical elements, many create entirely imaginary universes with their own physical laws and logic and populations of imaginary races and creatures. Speculative in nature, fantasy is not tied to reality or scientific fact. https://www.masterclass.com/articles/wh ... literature

Fantasy is a genre of speculative fiction set in a fictional universe, often inspired by real world myth and folklore. Its roots are in oral traditions, which then became literature and drama. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

Fantasy is a genre in literature that includes magical and/or supernatural elements as part of the plot, setting, or theme. Mythology and folklore often play a strong part in fantasy literature. There must be an internal consistency to the magical elements in a work of fantasy and a logic that, if not completely explicable, is understood to be reality by the characters. http://www.literarydevices.com/fantasy/

Do biblical writings fit definitions of fantasy fiction ...?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Magical and Supernatural Elements

Post #2

Post by Athetotheist »

SallyF wrote:Do biblical writings fit definitions of fantasy fiction ...?
I would say that biblical writings don't qualify as fantasy because "fantasy", as a genre, isn't written with the intention of having it taken as literal history.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Athetotheist wrote:
I would say that biblical writings don't qualify as fantasy because "fantasy", as a genre, isn't written with the intention of having it taken as literal history.
In that case no ancient religious myths can be seen as fantasy since all cultures wrote their religious myths with the intention of them being taken as literal history.

So now we're down to asking whether fictional writing should only be considered as fictional if it was intended to be fictional.

I would say that fictional writing is fictional writing whether intentional or not.

Do you accept the tales of Islam to be historical fact? If not, then why the tales of Christianity?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Athetotheist »

Divine Insight wrote:
Athetotheist wrote:
In that case no ancient religious myths can be seen as fantasy since all cultures wrote their religious myths with the intention of them being taken as literal history.

So now we're down to asking whether fictional writing should only be considered as fictional if it was intended to be fictional.

I would say that fictional writing is fictional writing whether intentional or not.

Do you accept the tales of Islam to be historical fact? If not, then why the tales of Christianity?
Both fantasy and myth may fall under the heading of "fiction", but I catagorize fantasy as being intended primarily, if not entirely, to entertain.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

Athetotheist wrote: Both fantasy and myth may fall under the heading of "fiction", but I catagorize fantasy as being intended primarily, if not entirely, to entertain.
So we should think of the Bible as mythology instead of fantasy? I can accept that.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

SallyF
Guru

Post #6

Post by SallyF »

Athetotheist wrote:
Valid point: thank you.

The biblical writings are not of a single genre, of course.

The ramblings rants of the "prophets" are not fictional narrative - fantasy or otherwise.

But I do wonder as to the intentions of certain of the biblical authors.

Which of their writings did they mean to be taken as literal history …?

And we must carefully bear in mind that "God" is NEVER shown to have had anything to do with this human propaganda/scripture.

I doubt that those who put quill to velum intended the mud-man and the rib-woman to be taken as literal history, for example.

Consider the whole Moses, Prince of Egypt, "history".

It's full of magic and supernatural themes.

But it's fiction.

It's fantasy.

But, as you say, the intention of the authors (it seems) is to pass that particular lot of propaganda off as genuine history.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

SallyF wrote: …Which of their writings did they mean to be taken as literal history …?
I think it could help, if you think, how do you know what parts of other history books should be taken as literal history. For example, is that people went to moon fantasy and fiction, or literal history? There are many reasons to believe it is fiction and propaganda and not literal history. The problem with all history is, it is someone’s story that we “have� to believe, we can’t go back in time and check did it really happen.
SallyF wrote:It's full of magic and supernatural themes.
I find that odd claim. When I read it, it is mostly about what is good and right and about righteousness. I think the “supernatural� themes are minor thing in Bible and not that important. Believing in “supernatural� is not very useful, understanding correctly what is good and right, can be useful.

Menotu
Sage

Post #8

Post by Menotu »

SallyF wrote: Fantasy is a genre of literature that features magical and supernatural elements that do not exist in the real world. Although some writers juxtapose a real-world setting with fantastical elements, many create entirely imaginary universes with their own physical laws and logic and populations of imaginary races and creatures. Speculative in nature, fantasy is not tied to reality or scientific fact. https://www.masterclass.com/articles/wh ... literature

Fantasy is a genre of speculative fiction set in a fictional universe, often inspired by real world myth and folklore. Its roots are in oral traditions, which then became literature and drama. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

Fantasy is a genre in literature that includes magical and/or supernatural elements as part of the plot, setting, or theme. Mythology and folklore often play a strong part in fantasy literature. There must be an internal consistency to the magical elements in a work of fantasy and a logic that, if not completely explicable, is understood to be reality by the characters. http://www.literarydevices.com/fantasy/

Do biblical writings fit definitions of fantasy fiction ...?
I don't think the bible can be summed up entirely as one way or the other but a myriad of ways (historical, fantasy, lies, political pressure, satire, personal story, stolen stories, amended stolen stories, honest account based on limited knowledge of the world, etc)
I wouldn't say it's engrossing reading no matter what you call it. But maybe that's due to the familiarity of it socially more than it being boring (but some of it is, let's be honest, boring as 'heal'...)

SallyF
Guru

Post #9

Post by SallyF »

Athetotheist wrote:

Then we have the Book of Job.

It has supernatural themes.

It has magic.

It has Jehovah - the mythological Middle East deity that created the universe and the mud-man and indiscriminate acts of genocide … you know, the "God of Love".

It even has …

In Job 40-41, God introduces Job to two new characters. Behemoth is a powerful beast with strong legs (Job 40:16), a stiff tail (Job 40:17), and a carefree riverside existence (Job 40:20-23). Leviathan dwells in the sea (Job 41:1, 7), breathes fire (Job 41:18-21), and crushes hunters (Job 41:25-29). Who are these two creatures? https://www.knowableword.com/2015/08/14 ... ok-of-job/

Just like the dragons and such in modern fantasy fiction ...!

Call me a Skeptical Atheist (please) but I can't see this fantastical make-believe in the "Word of God" being "written with the intention of having it taken as literal history".

SallyF
Guru

Post #10

Post by SallyF »

Fantasy is a genre of literature that features magical and supernatural elements that do not exist in the real world. Although some writers juxtapose a real-world setting with fantastical elements, many create entirely imaginary universes with their own physical laws and logic and populations of imaginary races and creatures. Speculative in nature, fantasy is not tied to reality or scientific fact. https://www.masterclass.com/articles/wh ... -of-fantas...

REVELATIONS ... all the elements of Fantasy Fiction.

And not a shred of evidence that "God" had anything to do with its authorship.