Sign of Jonah unfulfilled...False prophecy..False Prophet

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Sign of Jonah unfulfilled...False prophecy..False Prophet

Post #1

Post by Red Wolf »

An interesting fact concerning Jesus' post resurrection appearances is that the only people that the Bible reports having seen the allegedly risen Jesus are followers of Jesus.
If the church of Scientology reported that L Ron Hubbard rose from the dead, met with his followers and then after 40 days went to heaven, would you believe that Hubbard rose from the dead? Do you believe that Jesus rose from the dead, met with his followers for 40 days and then went to heaven?

According to the gospels, Jesus made the following prophecy.....
Matthew 12:39-40(King James Version)
39But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
40For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

In this prophecy, Jesus is predicting his death, and that after 3 days and 3 nights in the grave, he would show himself to his "evil and adulterous generation" as a sign that he had risen from the dead.

The prophecy failed because Jesus never showed himself alive to his "evil and adulterous generation" as a sign that he had risen from the dead.
Jesus only showed himself to his own followers according to the Bible. Presumedly, his own followers were not evil and adulterous.

Proof positive...an unfulfilled prophecy...a false prophet...no resurrection.

Savant

Re: Sign of Jonah unfulfilled...False prophecy..False Prophe

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

Menotu wrote: …So then, would you say nothing God has done is a miracle? I admit it would be pretty mundane for such a being. Is that what you're saying or only resurrection not a miracle?
If miracle means something surprising or unexpected, then I think it is not miracle, if God who has created this world, could also raise people from death. But I wouldn’t call it mundane, because it doesn’t seem to happen every day.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #32

Post by bluegreenearth »

If the prophecy is supposed to be that Jesus literally spent 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the Earth, then the Gospel accounts clearly falsify that prediction because they claim he was only dead for around 36 hours (give or take a few hours) rather than 3 days and 3 nights. Furthermore, the Gospels claim the bloody corpse of Jesus spent those hours alone on a slab of rock in a hollow tomb rather than surrounded on all sides by soil in the heart of the Earth (ignoring the fact that a solid core of iron exists at the heart of the Earth). So, in that sense, the prophecy failed.

As far as the "Son of man" providing a sign to an evil and adulterous generation when the resurrected Jesus only showed himself alive to his followers, it wouldn't surprise me if Christians try to argue that Saul (a.k.a. Paul) is supposed to account for that portion of the prophecy even though Jesus is claimed to have already ascended to heaven by the time Saul converted to Christianity. In any case, there is no obvious indication that Saul's character or the generation of Pharisees for which he belonged was adulterous. Saul and the other Pharisees could be considered "evil" for persecuting Christians, but it is difficult to argue how they could have also been adulterous being loyal to the traditional Jewish teachings.

Then again, Paul's personal appeal to celibacy and overt prejudices against the LGBTQ community could have been a psychological projection of his own struggle with homosexuality. If Christians want to argue that homosexuality is a form of adultery and claim Paul and the other Pharisees of his generation were a pack of ravaging homosexuals when he was operating as Saul, then maybe they could interpret Saul's psychological or neurological break-down during his road trip to Damascus as a sign given to an evil and adulterous generation in accordance with the prophecy. Of course, I should probably let the Christians provide their own explanation for the discrepancies associated with this claimed prophesy.

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #33

Post by Red Wolf »

[Replying to post 13 by Wootah]

The belly of a whale or big fish is so toxic that no person could survive in the belly.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #34

Post by Clownboat »

Red Wolf wrote: [Replying to post 13 by Wootah]

The belly of a whale or big fish is so toxic that no person could survive in the belly.
You bring up an obvious point.
Sadly, if history is to tell us anything, this fact of yours will be ignored.

If an adult is willing to believe that hundreds of dead bodies got out of their graves a couple thousand years ago and walked Jerusalem (or that animals talked and on and on), anything is on the table. Even living in a fish. Religious beliefs make the absurd the norm.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Savant

Post #35

Post by 1213 »

bluegreenearth wrote: If the prophecy is supposed to be that Jesus literally spent 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the Earth, then the Gospel accounts clearly falsify that prediction because they claim he was only dead for around 36 hours ...
There is no scripture that gives the number 36 hours. And as said in previous posts, by what the Bible tells, Jesus probably died Wednesday evening and was raised Saturday evening, before Sunday morning.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #36

Post by bluegreenearth »

1213 wrote:
bluegreenearth wrote: If the prophecy is supposed to be that Jesus literally spent 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the Earth, then the Gospel accounts clearly falsify that prediction because they claim he was only dead for around 36 hours ...
There is no scripture that gives the number 36 hours. And as said in previous posts, by what the Bible tells, Jesus probably died Wednesday evening and was raised Saturday evening, before Sunday morning.
My post never claimed the scriptures gave 36 hours as the length of time. The 36 hours is an approximation deduced from the claim that Jesus died on Friday evening and was raised on early Sunday morning.

Tcg
Savant

Post #37

Post by Tcg »

In a related thread, I pointed out a similar problem with this story, that being there would be no air to breath, and the discussion that followed prompted this response:
ttruscott wrote:
It is proposed that Jonah did indeed die in the fish but was resurrected.
There is of course not even a hint of this in the story itself. This is an example of the scenarios that are devised absent of any textual support in an attempt to salvage stories that can't possibly be true literally.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #38

Post by 1213 »

bluegreenearth wrote: …The 36 hours is an approximation deduced from the claim that Jesus died on Friday evening and was raised on early Sunday morning.
Ok, in that case I think it is good to notice, Bible doesn’t claim Jesus died on Friday evening and it says the tomb was empty on Sunday morning. It is possible that Jesus had risen earlier than Sunday morning. Finding empty tomb at morning doesn’t tell when Jesus had left.

Menotu
Sage

Post #39

Post by Menotu »

1213 wrote:
Menotu wrote: …So then, would you say nothing God has done is a miracle? I admit it would be pretty mundane for such a being. Is that what you're saying or only resurrection not a miracle?
If miracle means something surprising or unexpected, then I think it is not miracle, if God who has created this world, could also raise people from death. But I wouldn’t call it mundane, because it doesn’t seem to happen every day.
So then, we would need to determine what, exactly, is a miracle. Is it something unexpected, something unbelievable, or something done by a deity?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #40

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote:

You bring up an obvious point.
Sadly, if history is to tell us anything, this fact of yours will be ignored.

If an adult is willing to believe that hundreds of dead bodies got out of their graves a couple thousand years ago and walked Jerusalem (or that animals talked and on and on), anything is on the table. Even living in a fish. Religious beliefs make the absurd the norm.
So far, history is repeating itself.
There is no defense for living in the belly of a whale/fish it seems.

Much like the story where hundreds of dead bodies got out of their graves and walked Jerusalem I would add.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb