Advance tech

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

Advance tech

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

Throughout the history of this planet, those more advanced civilizations, were often seen as gods and/or god-like when they encountered less advanced civilizations. Even within more recent times (last 100 years or so). The 'tech' of these more advanced civilizations amazed the less advanced civilizations.

What's the odds that all these gods (including yours) are nothing more than a personification of an ancient advanced race? A mortal, flawed, advanced civilization? One that taught the less advanced things (or even told these people to worship them). Doesn't take seem more likely to an immortal, all powerful all knowing 'being' with no beginning no end that created everything (even the things we don't know about) and wants us to worship it?

If found this to be the case, would it change your POV/deity worship as it stands today?
Why or why not?

Savant

Re: Advance tech

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Menotu wrote: …
What's the odds that all these gods (including yours) are nothing more than a personification of an ancient advanced race? …
Bible tells God is spirit and love.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

I think He can’t be mixed to any advanced race.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #3

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to post 1 by Menotu]
Throughout the history of this planet, those more advanced civilizations, were often seen as gods and/or god-like when they encountered less advanced civilizations. Even within more recent times (last 100 years or so). The 'tech' of these more advanced civilizations amazed the less advanced civilizations.

What's the odds that all these gods (including yours) are nothing more than a personification of an ancient advanced race? A mortal, flawed, advanced civilization? One that taught the less advanced things (or even told these people to worship them). Doesn't take seem more likely to an immortal, all powerful all knowing 'being' with no beginning no end that created everything (even the things we don't know about) and wants us to worship it?

If found this to be the case, would it change your POV/deity worship as it stands today?
Why or why not?
Only a someone who was not changed by the power of Jesus Christ's forgiveness would every think that this was possible.

"There's a growing awareness in the counseling field and in seminaries that Christianity and spirituality in general are integral to a person's well-being," says Paula Baylor, a Christian counselor and graduate advisor at Eastern University in St. Davids, Pennsylvania, a school that trains faith-based counselors. "We're trying to integrate cognitive, psychodynamic and psychoanalytical practices with a Christian perspective."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/arti ... -my-shrink

Not only that but man is hard -wired to worship God.

But even if the world’s troubles were miraculously solved and we all led peaceful lives in equity, religion would probably still be around. This is because a god-shaped hole seems to exist in our species’ neuropsychology, thanks to a quirk of our evolution.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2014 ... -disappear

Menotu
Sage

Post #4

Post by Menotu »

1213 wrote:
Menotu wrote: …
What's the odds that all these gods (including yours) are nothing more than a personification of an ancient advanced race? …
Bible tells God is spirit and love.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

I think He can’t be mixed to any advanced race.
The bible doesn't tell us anything, the writers (and later, the editors) of the bible did. The only reason why people believe these writers are because it's taught that the bible tells us to believe them. It's self fulfilling.

But why can't he be mixed to any advanced race? Because he's love and spirit? No one from an advanced race can be this? That's assuming we know everything about everything that exists, which we don't.
But I appreciate your response and opinion on the matter.

Menotu
Sage

Post #5

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 3 by EarthScienceguy]
Only a someone who was not changed by the power of Jesus Christ's forgiveness would every think that this was possible.
Opinion or fact?
Not only that but man is hard -wired to worship God.
This would seem to mean people are programmed which would negate any free will (how can anyone make a choice to worship or not if they're hardwired - programmed as it were?). But it does seem something about people pushes them to worship something (not always God). Maybe that's by design or maybe it's part of the human brain that craves something else (perhaps communication with said advanced race)?

Or are we saying absolutely not: out of everything that exists - even the things we don't know about - we can say for certain that this is the only truth?
Doesn't that seem to border on arrogance?

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Menotu wrote: … The only reason why people believe these writers are because it's taught that the bible tells us to believe them…
That is interesting claim, because Jesus says that person is not judged because of disbelief:

If anyone listens to my sayings, and doesn't believe, I don't judge him. For I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. He who rejects me, and doesn't receive my sayings, has one who judges him. The word that I spoke, the same will judge him in the last day.
John 12:47-48
Menotu wrote:…But why can't he be mixed to any advanced race? Because he's love and spirit? No one from an advanced race can be this? …
Perhaps this depends on what is meant with advanced race. I understand it means something physical. And I have understood that Spirit is not physical. Therefore, I think God who is spirit, is not some advanced race. But obviously, God is advanced and if you think race is spirit, then God is advanced race.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by bjs »

Menotu wrote: Throughout the history of this planet, those more advanced civilizations, were often seen as gods and/or god-like when they encountered less advanced civilizations. Even within more recent times (last 100 years or so). The 'tech' of these more advanced civilizations amazed the less advanced civilizations.
That is an interesting claim. Who in the last 100 years has gone to a less advanced civilization and used superior technology to convince that civilization that he/she was a god?
Menotu wrote: What's the odds that all these gods (including yours) are nothing more than a personification of an ancient advanced race?
Extremely low. Technically possible, but realistically impossibly.

Menotu wrote: If found this to be the case, would it change your POV/deity worship as it stands today?
This would change everything for everyone. To take this option seriously is to say that in a genuine and practical way you think that all science is wrong. All scientists and scientific studies are fundamentally mistaken. It is to say that science by its nature is a waste of time since nearly everything that we have learned is mistaken and we are clearly headed down the wrong road nearly all of the time.

I don’t consider that a reasonable possibility.

Menotu
Sage

Post #8

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 6 by 1213]
Jesus says that person is not judged because of disbelief:
No, the bible says Jesus said. Which means long dead men said (at the very least) Jesus said this. You have to have faith to believe Jesus actually said that. And faith comes from a belief in God, which is based on the bible, which was written and edited by men.
Circular reasoning at best. Which is fine so long as it's seen as circular reasoning.
Perhaps this depends on what is meant with advanced race.
I thought I defined that previously - sorry if I didn't
Advanced race: any race of mortal, living being(s) that processes tech and/or knowledge that, to the observer, makes them seem advanced.

Menotu
Sage

Post #9

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 7 by bjs]
That is an interesting claim. Who in the last 100 years has gone to a less advanced civilization and used superior technology to convince that civilization that he/she was a god?
There was a tribe in the Amazon that saw planes for the first time and likely saw them as advanced/god-like.
There's also this
https://www.indy100.com/article/remote- ... ky-7382991
I saw a documentary about it a while back. While I forget the name of the tribe/location, they indigenous people (initially at least) thought the people in the plane we gods.
Extremely low. Technically possible, but realistically impossibly.
Why?
To take this option seriously is to say that in a genuine and practical way you think that all science is wrong.
Not at all. I don't believe science knows everything. I think many things are possible.
I don’t consider that a reasonable possibility.
Reasonable, but not impossible.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

EarthScienceguy wrote:

"There's a growing awareness in the counseling field and in seminaries that Christianity and spirituality in general are integral to a person's well-being," says Paula Baylor, a Christian counselor and graduate advisor at Eastern University in St. Davids, Pennsylvania, a school that trains faith-based counselors. "We're trying to integrate cognitive, psychodynamic and psychoanalytical practices with a Christian perspective."
It is important to note that Paula Baylor refers to "a growing awareness" rather than provide evidence. There is a clear reason for this. From the same article:
  • But Does It Work?

The big question is whether faith-based counseling works any better than secular psychotherapy—or whether it works at all. Unfortunately, little quantitative or qualitative research on outcomes has been conducted, and the answer depends a lot on the belief system of whom you ask. Most Christian and pastoral counselors are, not surprisingly, true believers.

But faith-based counseling may share one fundamental fact with most psychotherapy: The active ingredient is the strength of the relationship between counselor and client.

It's not surprising that Paula Baylor, a Christian counselor, would express her opinion that her approach to counseling works. It is also not surprising that she failed to present any evidence to support her opinion.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom