Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Spicy or Extra Crispy?

Post #1

Post by Red Wolf »

Spicy or Extra Crispy?

As we all know when Jesus was buried they applied 100 pounds of spices to his corpse according to the KJV. [75 lbs according to some translations]
Quote:
John 19:39-40 (King James Version)
39And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.

40Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

So Joseph of Arimathea, and Nicodemus, wrapped Jesus' corpse in linen and a whole lot of spices.

A couple of days later the women went back to the tomb to spice him up again.
I wonder...wasn't he spicy enough with 100 pounds? Why did the women need more spice?
Was it their intention to unwrap Jesus' corpse, apply more spice, and then rewrap Jesus' corpse? Remember, Mary Magdalene was present when Joseph of Arimathea, and Nicodemus, originally spiced up Jesus' corpse. Wasn't 100 pounds of spice enough? Doesn't it seem far-fetched for the women to unwrap, spice, and rewrap, after the corpse already was bloated with 100 pounds of spice?
Or was this just a literary device to have someone go to the tomb and discover the empty tomb, revealing that this story is just a masterpiece of fiction?
Doesn't this prove the resurrection tale is just fiction?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #21

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

Of course his body, being fully man, decayed at whatever rate is normal for a dead person in that tomb with those spices and wraps would be. ...

What do you mean "of course" ? There is no "of course" when we are talking about a miracle. "Of course" is just presupposing the unproven truth that naturalism is the only reality, a worldview which I do not happen hold to. The only "of course" in my opinion is that what God says will happen (or not happen) will come to reflect reality.

If an omnipotent God wishes a body would will not rot... the said body "of course" will not ro
JW

Yes "of course", if God says something will or will not happen, it will or will not happen.

Would you also say that of Jesus?

How about the New Testament writers and what they wrote?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote:
Yes "of course", if God says something will or will not happen, it will or will not happen.

Yes I would say that of Jesus ... because that is what the prophecy said.
Acts 2:27(King James Version)
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:

Yes I would say that of Jesus ... because that is what the prophecy said.
Acts 2:27(King James Version)
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
That seems good to me.

One important way God speaks to us is through Jesus and through te New Testament, right?

If they say something is or is not going to happen, that is what is or is not going to happen?

When what they say applies to believers before the return of Jesus, do you or do you not accept those sayings include all believers over that whole time frame?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

Checkpoint wrote:
When what they say applies to believers before the return of Jesus, do you or do you not accept those sayings include all believers over that whole time frame?

I don't know what you are talking about, I'm sorry. I dont see that Acts 2:27 applies to all Christians, it's a prophecy that applies only to the Christ. I'm not implying that God miraculously interacts with the body of every Christian that has ever died. Anymore than I am saying every Christian that has ever died is resurrected after three days...

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:

I don't know what you are talking about, I'm sorry. I dont see that Acts 2:27 applies to all Christians, it's a prophecy that applies only to the Christ. I'm not implying that God miraculously interacts with the body of every Christian that has ever died. Anymore than I am saying every Christian that has ever died is resurrected after three days...
Sorry, I badly failed to make my post clear.

It was not about that prophecy, or anything else in the O.T.

Just let me know if you are still not clear, but otherwise, please give me your answer.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

[Replying to post 25 by Checkpoint]

If your question has nothing to do with what I have just posted, it will have to go unanswered. If it has you can explain how or live without an answer.

Good day to you,

JW

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 25 by Checkpoint]

If your question has nothing to do with what I have just posted, it will have to go unanswered. If it has you can explain how or live without an answer.

Good day to you,

JW
I have to concede you have a valid point, and I therefore forgo expecting any answer at this time.

Have a good evening, JW.

:)

Wootah
Savant

Post #28

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 20 by JehovahsWitness]

Which Bible verse indicates this?

Edit: Acts 2:27

Thats interpreting a lot from one passage. Clearly Jesus was restored and did not decay.

So you think when he died on the cross his body did not die?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by Checkpoint »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 20 by JehovahsWitness]

Which Bible verse indicates this?

Edit: Acts 2:27

Thats interpreting a lot from one passage. Clearly Jesus was restored and did not decay.

So you think when he died on the cross his body did not die?
"Jesus was restored and did not"

What do you mean by "restored"?

"did not" what?

JW did not say or imply that "his body did not die".