End of Days in May? Christian group spreads word

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Darias
Guru

End of Days in May? Christian group spreads word

Post #1

Post by Darias »

TOM BREEN, Associated Press wrote:End of Days in May? Christian group spreads word

RALEIGH, N.C. – If there had been time, Marie Exley would have liked to start a family. Instead, the 32-year-old Army veteran has less than six months left, which she'll spend spreading a stark warning: Judgment Day is almost here.

Exley is part of a movement of Christians loosely organized by radio broadcasts and websites, independent of churches and convinced by their reading of the Bible that the end of the world will begin May 21, 2011.

To get the word out, they're using billboards and bus stop benches, traveling caravans of RVs and volunteers passing out pamphlets on street corners. Cities from Bridgeport, Conn., to Little Rock, Ark., now have billboards with the ominous message, and mission groups are traveling through Latin America and Africa to spread the news outside the U.S.

"A lot of people might think, 'The end's coming, let's go party,'" said Exley, a veteran of two deployments in Iraq. "But we're commanded by God to warn people. I wish I could just be like everybody else, but it's so much better to know that when the end comes, you'll be safe."

In August, Exley left her home in Colorado Springs, Colo., to work with Oakland, Calif.-based Family Radio Worldwide, the independent Christian ministry whose leader, Harold Camping, has calculated the May 21 date based on his reading of the Bible.

She is organizing traveling columns of RVs carrying the message from city to city, a logistics challenge that her military experience has helped solve. The vehicles are scheduled to be in five North Carolina cities between now and the second week of January, but Exley will shortly be gone: overseas, where she hopes to eventually make it back to Iraq.

"I don't really have plans to come back," she said. "Time is short."

Not everyone who's heard Camping's message is taking such a dramatic step. They're remaining in their day-to-day lives, but helping publicize the prophecy in other ways. Allison Warden, of Raleigh, has been helping organize a campaign using billboards, post cards and other media in cities across the U.S. through a website, We Can Know.

The 29-year-old payroll clerk laughs when asked about reactions to the message, which is plastered all over her car.

"It's definitely against the grain, I know that," she said. "We're hoping people won't take our word for it, or Harold Camping's word for it. We're hoping that people will search the scriptures for themselves."

Camping, 89, believes the Bible essentially functions as a cosmic calendar explaining exactly when various prophecies will be fulfilled.

The retired civil engineer said all his calculations come from close readings of the Bible, but that external events like the foundation of the state of Israel in 1948 are signs confirming the date.

"Beyond the shadow of a doubt, May 21 will be the date of the Rapture and the day of judgment," he said.

The doctrine known as the Rapture teaches that believers will be taken up to heaven, while everyone else will remain on earth for a period of torment, concluding with the end of time. Camping believes that will happen in October.

"If May 21 passes and I'm still here, that means I wasn't saved. Does that mean God's word is inaccurate or untrue? Not at all," Warden said.

The belief that Christ will return to earth and bring an end to history has been a basic element of Christian belief since the first century. The Book of Revelation, which comes last in the New Testament, describes this conclusion in vivid language that has inspired Christians for centuries.

But few churches are willing to set a date for the end of the world, heeding Jesus' words in the gospels of Mark and Matthew that no one can know the day or hour it will happen. Predictions like Camping's, though, aren't new. One of the most famous in history was by the Baptist leader William Miller, who predicted the end for Oct. 22, 1844, which came to be known as the Great Disappointment among his followers, some of whom subsequently founded the Seventh Day Adventist church.

"In the U.S., there is still a significant population, mostly Protestant, who look at the Bible as kind of a puzzle, and the puzzle is God's word and it's predicting when the end times will come," said Catherine Wessinger, a professor at Loyola University in New Orleans who studies millennialism, the belief in pending apocalypse.

"A lot of times these prophecies gain traction when difficulties are happening in society," she said. "Right now, there's a lot of insecurity, and this is a promise that says it's not all random, it's part of God's plan."

Past predictions that failed to come true don't have any bearing on the current calculation, believers maintain.

"It would be like telling the Wright brothers that every other attempt to fly has failed, so you shouldn't even try," said Chris McCann, who works with eBible Fellowship, one of the groups spreading the message.

For believers like McCann, theirs is actually a message of hope and compassion: God's compassion for people, and the hope that there's still time to be saved.

That, ultimately, is what spurs on Exley, who said her beliefs have alienated her from most of her friends and family. Her hope is that not everyone who hears her message will mock it, and that even people who dismiss her now might still come to believe.

"If you still want to say we're crazy, go ahead," she said. "But it doesn't hurt to look into it."

___

Online:

Family Radio Worldwide: http://www.familyradio.com

eBible Fellowship: http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/
_____
SOURCE
Also check out their website (the first link above)

As a Christian, this really irritates the fire out of me. If you look at their website and examine their evidence, not only is it un-Biblical from a fundamentalist perspective (not in line with accepted teaching), but it is also quite bonkers. The sad thing is that their spreading their 'doom gospel' all over the place. Their reasoning cherrypicks verses and constructs a narrative -- all while claiming that it's not their opinion, but God's. One of the "proofs" they offer for the end is the "gay agenda" -- how loony.

Questions for debate:

Is this group's 'reasoning' defensible? How can it be refuted or supported, historically, biblically, etc?

Does this fringe group and their message bother you? What do you think about their warning and the "reasoning" behind it? If you are a Christian, how much harm do you think this nutty sect will bring to the faith? How many of you will laugh on May 22, 2011?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by McCulloch »

Lucia wrote: Judging by their website, their conclusions don't seem biblically supportable unless you're willing to twist the Bible in weird angles.
There is a long tradition of that in Christian theological circles. Anyway, they are wrong. The rapture happened last Thursday. All of the True Christians rose up into the air and vanished with Jesus into heaven. There were so few that virtually no one noticed. :whistle:
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

flitzerbiest
Sage

Post #12

Post by flitzerbiest »

McCulloch wrote:
Lucia wrote: Judging by their website, their conclusions don't seem biblically supportable unless you're willing to twist the Bible in weird angles.
There is a long tradition of that in Christian theological circles. Anyway, they are wrong. The rapture happened last Thursday. All of the True Christians rose up into the air and vanished with Jesus into heaven. There were so few that virtually no one noticed. :whistle:
You forgot the Job-esque ending: "...and I alone returned to tell you."

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by Adstar »

McCulloch wrote:
Sadly, even though you said this as a way to mock Christians, you are probably correct that if the rapture happened today so few would go that it might indeed be un-noticed by many.

As Jesus Lamented/Prophecied

Luke 18
7 And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? 8 I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?�

I don't think there will be many people who will experiance the rapture when it happens.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Darias
Guru

Post #14

Post by Darias »

Adstar wrote:Sadly, even though you said this as a way to mock Christians, you are probably correct that if the rapture happened today so few would go that it might indeed be un-noticed by many.

Luke 18
7 And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? 8 I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?�

I don't think there will be many people who will experiance the rapture when it happens.

The Rapture is an 18th century theological construct. The word rapture isn't even in the Bible. It takes a lot of cherry-picking to create a cohesive narrative. It has been extremely successful ideology and has grown like a cancer in Christianity, thanks to movies like and books like Left Behind -- all of which take verses from Revelation and apply them to present day events. The theological concept of the rapture does so in much the same way one might take Nostradamus quatrains and poems and try to claim that he predicted future events. Some people try to do this by finding words that sound like famous events and people in recent history. Hister, the Latin word for the Danube, sounds like Hitler, and so Nostradamus is falsely believed by many to have predicted the rise of Hitler -- nonsense.

John, or whoever wrote Revelations, aka Apokalupsis -- was talking about current events (in their day not ours). Either the anti-Christ was Nero, or Domitian. The mark of the beast was Roman coinage which bore his image and the number of his name. Greek letters had corresponding numbers. The author of Revelation said that anyone who had common sense knew who the beast was -- and obviously if you know the number of a man's name, you know his name. 666 = Nero. It really depends upon when the book was completed. There is an issue of whether or not the mark is 666 or 616. Still, almost everyone since that time has been labeled "anti-Christ," including President Obama -- and by the time I end my post, people will probably think I'm the anti-Christ too.

The anti-Christ is important in Rapture theology. Some people believe the rapture will occur pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, or post-tribulation. It's really all a bunch of non-sense that lacks a solid Biblical basis -- not to mention all of it is totally ahistorical.

Christ was all about loving others and helping others -- the goal of Christianity is not to long for heaven and be heavenly minded and put our lives on hold, as people of this Christian sect have done (the ones I mentioned in the article).

These people are only making Christianity look crazy -- when May 22, 2011 rolls around most of their group will either fall away from the faith, or re-assign a new Rapture date (as countless prophetic Christian groups throughout history have done).

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #15

Post by Adstar »

Darias wrote:
Adstar wrote:Sadly, even though you said this as a way to mock Christians, you are probably correct that if the rapture happened today so few would go that it might indeed be un-noticed by many.

Luke 18

I don't think there will be many people who will experience the rapture when it happens.

The Rapture is an 18th century theological construct. The word rapture isn't even in the Bible. It takes a lot of cherry-picking to create a cohesive narrative. It has been extremely successful ideology and has grown like a cancer in Christianity, thanks to movies like and books like Left Behind -- all of which take verses from Revelation and apply them to present day events.
While i agree with you views on the "Left Behind" books and the movie ( pre-tribulation rapture supporting media) I totally disagree with your complete dismissal of the rapture. Saying that the Word Rapture is not in the bible is also misinformed. The word Rapture is a word taken from the Latin word Raptus this word is turn is a translation of the Word "caught up" and this world does appear in the Bible.

1 Thessalonians 4
17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

This scripture is a clear description of the Rapture/ caught up.

John, or whoever wrote Revelations, aka Apokalupsis -- was talking about current events (in their day not ours). Either the anti-Christ was Nero, or Domitian. The mark of the beast was Roman coinage which bore his image and the number of his name. Greek letters had corresponding numbers. The author of Revelation said that anyone who had common sense knew who the beast was -- and obviously if you know the number of a man's name, you know his name. 666 = Nero. It really depends upon when the book was completed. There is an issue of whether or not the mark is 666 or 616. Still, almost everyone since that time has been labeled "anti-Christ," including President Obama -- and by the time I end my post, people will probably think I'm the anti-Christ too.
No i do not believe you are an anti-christ (yet) your a person who has been taught the preterist doctrine and you assume it is correct.
The anti-Christ is important in Rapture theology. Some people believe the rapture will occur pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, or post-tribulation. It's really all a bunch of non-sense that lacks a solid Biblical basis -- not to mention all of it is totally ahistorical.
I must again disagree with you. It may seem like nonsense to you but God is well able to make it happen at the apportioned time.
Christ was all about loving others and helping others -- the goal of Christianity is not to long for heaven and be heavenly minded and put our lives on hold, as people of this Christian sect have done (the ones I mentioned in the article).
Well oddly enough i do not believe those that are raptured will be going to Heaven. As i believe the rapture will happen on the day of the return of the Messiah Jesus we will be coming down to earth straight away to rule with him on earth for 1000 years. So transformed in an instant and caught up into the clouds to meet Him and immediately coming back down to earth with Him. No Heaven there.
These people are only making Christianity look crazy -- when May 22, 2011 rolls around most of their group will either fall away from the faith, or re-assign a new Rapture date (as countless prophetic Christian groups throughout history have done).
Well yes i believe that group is also wrong on many levels, and i expect they will all still be here on may 23rd and many will be despondent and depressed. But no matter how many time false predictions of His coming are announced and are revealed to be false, we should never allow these cries of "wolf, wolf, wolf" to make us despondent and believe He is never coming.

2 Peter 3
3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.� 5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, 6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water. 7 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Katriel

Post #16

Post by Katriel »

SHEMUAH

Each time this is posted complete, more will have been added..sometimes a little and sometimes maybe more than a little, this time for starters, just a little 176

Shalom Mishpocah

orthodox Jews celebrating Hoshana Rabbah 2009 video HERE \o/

"Jews around the world observed the holiday of Sukkot's Hoshana Rabbah on Friday, 9 Oct. 2009"

"Hoshana Rabbah"
The day is known as the day of the final sealing of judgment for the coming year" Seven circuits are made in the celebration, seventieth week begins.

The Nobel Peace Prize 2009 , Awarded On Friday, 9 Oct 2009 Barack H. Obama

Rev 6:2 And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a "Stephanos" was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

Stephanos 1) Prize given in public ceremony

Daniel 9:27 And he shall Confirm the Covenant with many for one week:

Confirm: Gabar (gaw-bar’); Verb, Strong # 1396: to prevail, have strength, strengthen, be strong, be powerful, be mighty, be great

Covenant: B@riyth (ber-eeth’); Noun Feminine, Strong # 1285: covenant, alliance, pledge, treaty, league, constitution, ordinance, agreement

Many: Rab (rab); Adjective, Strong # 7227: much, many, great, abounding in, abundant, enough

Contrary to what most have been taught to believe, The covenant of death (Isaiah 28:18) will be strengthened by the king of babylon/ seat of satan/ It is a pre-existing treaty ...Roadmap to Peace Joel 3:2

The white horse rider is given a Crown/ Prize not for what he did, but what he said he would do in two speeches, one in turkey, one in egypt, king of the north and the king of the south...no one can doubt after his last speech to the U.N. a few months ago, obama's number one priority is two states in Israel, do a little research and read that speech....he has surely strengthened the covenant!!!

Hoshana Rabbah 2009 until Pesach 2011 = 555 days

10/9/2009 - 4/17/2011 = 555 days

555th vs. Gen 22:7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is The Lamb for a burnt offering?

Shavuot

10/9/2009 - 6/12/2011 = 611 days

611th vs. Gen 24:19 And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.

Isaish 44:3 For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour My Spirit upon thy seed, and My blessing upon thine offspring:

Sukkot

10/09/2009 - 10/14/2011 = 735 days

735th vs. Gen 27:7 Bring me venison, and make me savoury meat, that I may eat, and Bless thee before the LORD before my death.

Yom Kippur

10/9/2009 - 10/9/2011 = 730 days Exactly two years

730th vs. Gen 27:2 And he said, Behold now, I am old, I know not the day of my death:

<><><><><><><>

Hoshana Rabbah 2009 + 1260 = 3/22/2013/ AdarII 16 + 1290 = Elul 29 - Tishri 1 YOM TERUAH 2016

Hoshana Rabbah 2009 + 1260 + 1290 Dan 12:11 = YOM TERUAH

YOM TERUAH, the day no man knows the day or hour / Rosh Chodesh

The covenant/treaty with many/ Roadmap to Peace/ with russia/ with european union/ with united nations/with USA, with saudi arabia and with others

The Roadmap to peace has its origin in the usa/camp david/ oslo/ roadmap/ annapolis/ to pressure Israel to remove far from their borders 3:6 to the 1948 borders of U.N 181/ with a divided Jerusalem Zechariah 14:2

1) Camp David /Jimmy Carter brokered the Camp David Accords there in September 1978 to Divide Israel signed in washington d.c. on the 17th

2) Olso accords, the Accords were subsequently officially signed at a public ceremony in Washington, DC on 13 September 1993, in the presence of PLO chairman Yasser Arafat, Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and US President Bill Clinton to Divide Israel

3) Road map to peace were first outlined by U.S. President George W. Bush in a speech on June 24, 2002, in which he called for an independent Palestinian state living side by side with Israel in peace

4) The Annapolis Conference was a Middle East peace conference held on November 27, 2007, at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, United States. The conference marked the first time a two-state solution was articulated as the mutually agreed-upon outline for addressing the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Who is leading the world to divide Israel ?

a few years ago in Jerusalem

There were follow up meetings in regards to the annapolis conference(4) on Jan 8-9, 2008 when george bush went to Jerusalem Israel, The day He arrived, a rare morning and early season tornado landed in POPE COUNTY ARK, touched down just off Mt Zion Road, went through the town of Jerusalem destroying Mt. Zions community church and killing one person named Billy Carter in Apple-TON<>Billy beer Carters middle name was AL-TON

and the unusual fog the next day in Florida and Jerusalem Israel, that caused bush to go in a 70 car motorcade, while florida has its worst ever traffic accident with 70 cars in fog...70 the number of the nations scattered of babel

April 6, 2009

a few lines of Obama speech to the turkish parliament

Let me be clear:The United States strongly supports the goal of two states, Israel and Palestine, living side by side in peace and security.

That is a goal that the parties agreed to in the Road map and at Annapolis. That is a goal that I will actively pursue as President of the United States.

And like the United States, you seek a future of opportunity and statehood for the Palestinians.

a few from his egyptian speech

Speech in Egypt June 4, 2009

the only resolution is for the aspirations of both sides to be met through two states, where Israelis and Palestinians each live in peace and security.

That is why I intend to personally pursue this outcome with all the patience that the task requires. The obligations that the parties have agreed to under the Road Map are clear.

The United States does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlements. This construction violates previous agreements and undermines efforts to achieve peace. It is time for these settlements to stop

when Moses, Jesus, and Mohammed (peace be upon them) joined in prayer.

<><><><><><><>
It is easy to say something has overwhelming evidence of design and another to Prove It.

Rev 13:18 Here is "wisdom 83. Let 37 him that hath 37 understanding count 73 the number 73 of the beast: for it is the number 73 of a man; and his number 73 is Six hundred threescore and six. = 1451

The 1451st vs. Gen 47:30 But I will lie with my fathers, and thou shalt carry me out of Egypt, and bury me in their buryingplace. And he said, I will do as thou hast said. = 1318

a 1 b2 c 3 - z 26

W 23
I 9
S 19
D 4
O 15
M 13 = 83 2+3+9+1+9+4+1+5+1+3 = 38

Hebrew Hokmah = 73 & 37

Greek Sophia = 781

Four verses equal 1717 in the scriptures, standard Hebrew method <<<<< Link

1) 7373rd vs. 160th vs. 1st Samuel 8:3 And his sons walked not in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment. 987 <> 1717

2) 11878th vs. 683rd vs. 2 Chronicles 32:2 And when Hezekiah saw that sennacherib was come, and that he was purposed to fight against Jerusalem 909 <> 1717

3) 13258th vs. 388th vs. Job 16:19 Also now, behold, my witness is in Heaven, and my Record is on High. 607 <> 1717

4) 14610th vs. 670th vs. Psalms 45:12 And the daughter of tyre shall be there with a gift, even the rich among the people shall intreat thy favour. 987 <> 1717
1717th vs. 184th vs. Exodus 8:6 And Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of egypt, and the frogs came up, and covered the land of egypt. 987 <> 3795

9+8+7 = 24 3+7+9+5 = 24

10-9-2009 until Revelation 18:4 = Ninety one weeks 184 O Babylon 86 Hidden Manna 87

.Verses 1 & 4 both equal 987 in the Standard English method

The 1717th vs. equals 987 in the Standard English method
<<<<<>>>>>

By testing i have seen the evidence and there are 31,102 verses in His revealed Word for us to unlock Treasures...lesser gods who are unable be dammed

Jer 10:10 But the LORD is the True God, HE is the Living God, and an Everlasting King: at His wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide His indignation.

11 Thus shall ye say unto them, The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.

YHWH = 26 and 17 in Hebrew

GOD = 26 and 17 in English

Torah = 62 and 26 in English

Baruch Ha SHEM

Hoshana Rabbah 2009 until Pesach 2011 = 555 days

10/9/2009 - 4/17/2011 = 555 days

555th vs. Gen 22:7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is The Lamb for a burnt offering?

Hoshana Rabbah 2009 until Yom Kippur

10/9/2009 - 10/9/2011 = 730 days Exactly two years

730th vs. Gen 27:2 And he said, Behold now, I am old, I know not the day of my death:

10/09/2009 October ninth two thousand nine = 345

Genesis fourteen - eight = 231 <> Revelation 6:2 six -two = 231

The 345th vs. Genesis 14:8 And "there went out the king of sodom and the king of gomorrah and "the king of admah and "the king of zeboiim and "the king of bela the same is zoar and "they joined battle with them in the vale of siddim 1665 <> 3123

Remarks by the President at the Acceptance of the Nobel Peace Prize whitehouse.gov

Total Gematria of Remarks = 231662

start counting from Genesis 1:1 until Rev 22:21 = 31102 verses continue cyclically until you reach 231662

or 231662 / 31102 = 7.448459906115362

224 x 2 = 448

31102 x 7 = 217714

231662 - 217714 = 13948th vs. 8th vs. Psa 2:2

The kings of the earth set themselves and the rulers take counsel together against the LORD, and against HIS Anointed saying > 1176 <> 1972

First Paragraph of Remarks

1)Your Majesties Your Royal Highnesses distinguished members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, citizens of America 176 and citizens of the world 231 = 1403

The President 143

october ninth = 143

king of babylon 133 whitehouse 133 roadmap to peace 133 Parted My Land 133 + many more

george bush 107

barack hussein obama 163

One hundred sixty three 261 163 is the first number spelled out from 1-163 that equals 261

the united states of america 261

20601 bohemian grove = 134 < > a bow and a crown 134

O babylon 86_Exact phrase occurs 1x 20191st vs. 1244th vs. Jeremiah 50:24

I Have Laid a snare for thee = 206
and 19
thou art also taken 201 504 five hundred four 176
O babylon 86
and 19
thou wast not aware 224
thou art found 163 נמצ�ת 581 five hundred eighty one 224 link and 19
also caught 107+ because 163
thou hast striven 219against the LORD 153 = 1472 <> 5315

10/9/2009 = Tishri twenty one 224

The nobel peace prize for = 224

against HIS Anointed 189 One hundred eighty nine 224

12/31/2010 tornado kills 3 in Arkansas

In Arkansas, Gerald Wilson, 88, and his wife, Mamie, 78, died in their home and **** Murray, 78, died after being caught by the storm while milking cows, Washington County Sheriff Tim Helder said.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110101/ap_on_re_us/us_tornadoes

12/31/2010 was 448 days after 10/9/2009

Four hundred forty eight days 316 > Sixty four weeks 220

448 days after 10/09/2009 <<<Link one1 year two2 months twenty20 two2 days 444

448th vs. Gen 18:23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked? 787 -2339

gerald wilson,139 age 88 mamie wilson,133 age 78 **** murray,123 age 78

washington county sheriff tim helder,393

Tevet twenty four = 239 The tenth month of the biblical year on the Hebrew calendar. {12/31/2010 = Tevet 24}

787 is the standard English gematria for the verse and 2339 is the Hebrew Total

continued with highlights and comments

@ forums.carm.org/vbb/showthread.php?39372-Hoshana-Rabbah-2009

motivationalstories

Post #17

Post by motivationalstories »

Laško wrote:
End of Days in May? Christian group spreads word wrote:The doctrine known as the Rapture teaches that believers will be taken up to heaven, while everyone else will remain on earth for a period of torment, concluding with the end of time. Camping believes that will happen in October.
How can these Christians possibly decipher the "end of days" when they can't even interpret their own Bible correctly.

One of the most often quoted passages used to support the idea of a rapture is the following.
Matthew 24:37-41
But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Christianity teaches that those who are "saved" will be taken in the rapture. First of all, this verse says nothing about a "rapture" nor does any other verse in the Bible for that matter. Not only that, but the context of this passage is very clear when it states that the flood took away everyone but Noah and his family. In other words, the ones that are taken are the "unsaved" not the saved.

And if that is not enough to show the absurdity of Christians attempts to determine the day of the supposed rapture, the verse just before the above passage and the verse right after it say the following.
Matthew 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Matthew 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
When I was in my teens, there was a member of our church that said God told him Jesus was coming back in the next year, so he quit college and his job while he waited. Many Christians are more preoccupied with the End Times than in living their life as a person following Christ.
Wonderful motivational stories written by women of faith.

Michael

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Darias wrote:

Luke 18

The Rapture is an 18th century theological construct. The word rapture isn't even in the Bible. It takes a lot of cherry-picking to create a cohesive narrative. It has been extremely successful ideology and has grown like a cancer in Christianity, thanks to movies like and books like Left Behind -- all of which take verses from Revelation and apply them to present day events. The theological concept of the rapture does so in much the same way one might take Nostradamus quatrains and poems and try to claim that he predicted future events. Some people try to do this by finding words that sound like famous events and people in recent history. Hister, the Latin word for the Danube, sounds like Hitler, and so Nostradamus is falsely believed by many to have predicted the rise of Hitler -- nonsense.

Normally I would agree completely with Darias and this excellent post. I would send him all of my tokens. However, in a dream, I was told, just last night, that the Rapture's all set for June. And worse, all the fundies will still be here. Most of my liberal friends will be taken up, and all sorts of non-christians too. I will remain here to become your king, mostly to oversee work with Jehovah's Witnesses on a major architectural intitiative involving cubits (better hit the books now). While I don't even have time to be a moderator here, I admit this king thing will be difficult. So Darias shall rule beside me. Good news though...God told me he is replacing the anticipated bloodbath orgy festival of revenge with 24/7 christan heavy metal music. And Tim LeHay will spontaneously combust on the John Stewart show. His last words will be "Bieber...should have won." This will mark the end of time and will be announced by Silvio Burlusconi on MSNBC.

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #19

Post by fewwillfindit »

Slopeshoulder wrote:Normally I would agree completely with Darias and this excellent post. I would send him all of my tokens. However, in a dream, I was told, just last night, that the Rapture's all set for June. And worse, all the fundies will still be here. Most of my liberal friends will be taken up, and all sorts of non-christians too. I will remain here to become your king, mostly to oversee work with Jehovah's Witnesses on a major architectural intitiative involving cubits (better hit the books now). While I don't even have time to be a moderator here, I admit this king thing will be difficult. So Darias shall rule beside me. Good news though...God told me he is replacing the anticipated bloodbath orgy festival of revenge with 24/7 christan heavy metal music. And Tim LeHay will spontaneously combust on the John Stewart show. His last words will be "Bieber...should have won." This will mark the end of time and will be announced by Silvio Burlusconi on MSNBC.
Gulp. Looks like I have some sucking up to do, oh King Slopeshoulder.

Who needs Dante's Inferno when I can picture a hell like this?

ROFL, I have to admit, I laughed pretty hard at this one. Thanks for the laughs. :)
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Slopeshoulder »

fewwillfindit wrote:
Slopeshoulder wrote:Normally I would agree completely with Darias and this excellent post. I would send him all of my tokens. However, in a dream, I was told, just last night, that the Rapture's all set for June. And worse, all the fundies will still be here. Most of my liberal friends will be taken up, and all sorts of non-christians too. I will remain here to become your king, mostly to oversee work with Jehovah's Witnesses on a major architectural intitiative involving cubits (better hit the books now). While I don't even have time to be a moderator here, I admit this king thing will be difficult. So Darias shall rule beside me. Good news though...God told me he is replacing the anticipated bloodbath orgy festival of revenge with 24/7 christan heavy metal music. And Tim LeHay will spontaneously combust on the John Stewart show. His last words will be "Bieber...should have won." This will mark the end of time and will be announced by Silvio Burlusconi on MSNBC.
Gulp. Looks like I have some sucking up to do, oh King Slopeshoulder.

Who needs Dante's Inferno when I can picture a hell like this?

ROFL, I have to admit, I laughed pretty hard at this one. Thanks for the laughs. :)
Thou art safe. The humorful shalt prosper in my realm.
The jester however will no longer be needed upon my ascent ot the throne.
:lol: