The 'Image' of God

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

YaeMPs
Student

The 'Image' of God

Post #1

Post by YaeMPs »

The concept of man being made in God's image is often repeated by Bible literalists in discussions about creation and many other topics. It would seem to me that even the most literal fundamentalist must admit the metaphorical character of this idea.
Can someone please fill me on how this passage is interpreted in fundamentalist teachings? If a literal interpretation is possible then I ask (respectfully and without guile) does God have nipples?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote: OK, we disagree over the god thing, but then again, I don't know the meaning of the word god.
NMSquirrel wrote: what makes you so sure?
Earlier, NMSquirrel wrote: I do believe in God,
I don't. Ergo we disagree.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by McCulloch »

fewwillfindit thank you for exposing the untruth of my claim.

Yes, James does reference the concept, but provides no additional insight. Paul to the Ephesians, does associate the Christian rebirth with the likeness of God, and God's attributes of righteousness and holiness, and again to the Ephesians, associates the casting off of negative behaviors with the Christian renewal after God's image.

Well done!
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #13

Post by fewwillfindit »

McCulloch wrote:fewwillfindit thank you for exposing the untruth of my claim.

Yes, James does reference the concept, but provides no additional insight. Paul to the Ephesians, does associate the Christian rebirth with the likeness of God, and God's attributes of righteousness and holiness, and again to the Ephesians, associates the casting off of negative behaviors with the Christian renewal after God's image.

Well done!
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I was thinking of it as an oversight that needed clarification rather than an untruth that needed to be exposed. :)
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

NMSquirrel

Post #14

Post by NMSquirrel »

McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote: OK, we disagree over the god thing, but then again, I don't know the meaning of the word god.
NMSquirrel wrote: what makes you so sure?
Earlier, NMSquirrel wrote: I do believe in God,
I don't. Ergo we disagree.
oh..ok..i got the impression you were a believer, but just not a christian..sorry

earl
Scholar

Re: The 'Image' of God

Post #15

Post by earl »

YaeMPs wrote:The concept of man being made in God's image is often repeated by Bible literalists in discussions about creation and many other topics. It would seem to me that even the most literal fundamentalist must admit the metaphorical character of this idea.
Can someone please fill me on how this passage is interpreted in fundamentalist teachings? If a literal interpretation is possible then I ask (respectfully and without guile) does God have nipples?

As man makes God in man's image-man like so does God make man in God-Jesus image.

As man gives manlike charisteristics to God so does God give Godlike characteristics to mankind.
These characteristics are 1.personality -no two people ,like fingerprints, are recognized as one and the same.The personality contains a thinktank.This thinktank has the capacity to recognize God and utilize the potential from the true light.
.2. Jo.1.9-"the true light that lighteth everyone that comes into the world".The true light interpreted as God is in everyone so God by implanting himself into the person or personality of everyone man now possesses a characteristic of God's image-the true light.

Man thus has the potential to become spirit like as God is Spirit.

Truthbychoice

Re: The 'Image' of God

Post #16

Post by Truthbychoice »

earl wrote:
YaeMPs wrote:The concept of man being made in God's image is often repeated by Bible literalists in discussions about creation and many other topics. It would seem to me that even the most literal fundamentalist must admit the metaphorical character of this idea.

As man makes God in man's image-man like so does God make man in God-Jesus image.

As man gives manlike charisteristics to God so does God give Godlike characteristics to mankind.
These characteristics are 1.personality -no two people ,like fingerprints, are recognized as one and the same.The personality contains a thinktank.This thinktank has the capacity to recognize God and utilize the potential from the true light.
.2. Jo.1.9-"the true light that lighteth everyone that comes into the world".The true light interpreted as God is in everyone so God by implanting himself into the person or personality of everyone man now possesses a characteristic of God's image-the true light.

Man thus has the potential to become spirit like as God is Spirit.
God created man in 'His' image, a physical body for the expression of spirit. The universe is the physical body of God.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello yaemps,

My personal understanding of the verse is that God has both an agressive, and a passive nature. In the males he gave the agressive nature while in females he gave his passive nature.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.