Should Atheists Use God for their own benefit?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

BwhoUR
Sage

Should Atheists Use God for their own benefit?

Post #1

Post by BwhoUR »

Atheists use God, Jesus and the Bible to argue with the religious in religious debate and it is assumed we do so in order that we can prove something based on the "evidence" we have. Evidence which religious persons bring up as proof we argue with, even though we don't believe the Bible was written by God, etc.

It is obvious when we do so here, in an open forum when we admit we are Atheists. Is it also okay to use god or religion for our own good in other ways? Can we hide our Atheism when we do it? Here is an example: My City is run by conservative Christians, I grow pot legally in my State (stay with me, people) My grow area was lacking a posted reccomendation. I was cited and fined $100.00. I of course am fighting the fine on principle because under normal circumstances, an oversight like this would call for a written notice and 10 days to fix with no fine and the Code provides for that. Since the Christian cops around here think pot is for sinners, I felt it would help me to even the playing field to say my medicine was natural, "as God intended."

Was this moral? Does it matter if I don't believe that but know that they might? If I know God influences people, is it okay to use the power for good?

BwhoUR
Sage

Re: Should Atheists Use God for their own benefit?

Post #11

Post by BwhoUR »

Divine Insight wrote:
suckka wrote: I hear what your saying, that those with strong anti-drug beliefs would feel no differently about weed than heroin, even though the there is a process for making a poppy into heroin unlike marijuana which needs no processing. But if there is a chance to manipulate them I see no harm in trying, is there any harm?
If manipulating Christians is immoral than clearly so is the Bible and the preachers who preach from it.

From my perspective the most likely "harm" that might come from this is your very own feelings of guilt for having done it. Apparently this issue is very close to your own personal values, especially if you feel you need to bounce this off other people.

My suggestion to you would be to remain true to your own values. That's the paramount issue. Apparently you seem to feel that preying on the superstitions of other people would be "immoral" by your standards. If that's the case, then don't do it, you'll only feel bad about letting yourself down in terms of your own moral standards.

On the other hand, if you feel that using people's superstitions against them is "moral" then have at it. Like I say, preachers do this all the time. Especially the Television Evangelists. For them it's nothing more than a money-making racket based entirely upon preying on the superstitious beliefs of others.

And now that I have compared your proposed behavior with that of television evangelists, what do you think you should do? :-k
I have already done it, with the disdain in my heart for people who would judge me based on the Christian bible. I don't think it is moral, but it might be just. Still wondering where I would draw the line though. Certainly before an evangelist would, or Hitler, but the exact line is unclear. Lets see if I win the day and I will check myself.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #12

Post by Divine Insight »

suckka wrote: I don't think it is moral, but it might be just.
Well, you certainly won't get any argument from me on that one. Especially if the Christians you are toying with are already being obnoxious about their superstitions.

I think you have a point there too. Television evangelists are taking grave advantage from the superstitions of people who never did anything at all to them.

At least you are only using this against those who are attempting to push their superstitious beliefs onto you in some negative way.

So perhaps that is "justice" after all. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 10 by Divine Insight]
Atheism (or secularism) is the most likely truth of reality. That's just the most practical rational answer. Period.
You appear to have climbed every mountain and swum every river I posed to you but the more practical rational answer is that the world contains plenty of good and nearly everything has a good utility.

Christians cling to the good.

What justification do atheists have for clinging to the good?

Also given that whenever we discuss atheism/secularism we end up discussing subjectivity and determinism it is really a matter of not examining the alternative that has you arrive at your conclusions. To examine atheism/secularism and to believe in subjectivity and determinism is truly not rational. But who examines their own beliefs?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Goat »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Divine Insight]
Atheism (or secularism) is the most likely truth of reality. That's just the most practical rational answer. Period.
You appear to have climbed every mountain and swum every river I posed to you but the more practical rational answer is that the world contains plenty of good and nearly everything has a good utility.

Also given that whenever we discuss atheism/secularism we end up discussing subjectivity and determinism it is really a matter of not examining the alternative that has you arrive at your conclusions. To examine atheism/secularism and to believe in subjectivity and determinism is truly not rational. But who examines their own beliefs?
Atheists do good, because it makes the feel Good. That is because man has evolved as a social creature. Another reason might be 'increasing social standing'

Atheists refraim from doing wrong, because of a number of reasons. One reason, because it makes them feel bad. Another reason might be because of the social consequences
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #15

Post by BwhoUR »

Goat wrote:
Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Divine Insight]

Atheists do good, because it makes the feel Good. That is because man has evolved as a social creature. Another reason might be 'increasing social standing'

Atheists refraim from doing wrong, because of a number of reasons. One reason, because it makes them feel bad. Another reason might be because of the social consequences
Why oh why is it so hard to believe Atheists like doing good things or that we don't see good in the world or in others?! I will never understand that opinion or where on Earth it comes from. :confused2:

Wootah
Savant

Post #16

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 15 by suckka]

To be clear I never said that.

Edit: do you think feeling good is a good moral basis?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #17

Post by OnceConvinced »

Wootah wrote:
This is a problem for me. The rose-colored glasses. Only ever looking at the beauty of nature and what seems to be great and wonderful design, while avoiding looking at the horrors of nature and what would be considered incompetent or malevolent design. Watch a Christian documentary about intelligent design and it's all flowers, snow flakes, fluffy bunny rabbits and everything lovely and nice, but yet you don't see flesh eating viruses, the violence, the parasites, the suffering, the other aberrations.

If one takes an unbiased view on nature, then one could only come to the conclusion that if there was a god that god not only employs intelligent design, but also malevolent and incompetent design.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #18

Post by BwhoUR »

Wootah wrote:
[Replying to post 15 by suckka]

To be clear I never said that.

Edit: do you think feeling good is a good moral basis?

Please feel free to explain what you mean again. I want to understand your position and for you to understand mine. Feeling good is great, but I don't avoid soda and limit my calorie intake because it feels good. It is because I think about my actions and behavior in the context of what is good for me, on the other hand, I sometimes eat donuts (I am using food here, but it applies to other things) and have coffee in the evening because I want to. I know that it's not good for me, but I want a balanced life. A conscious life, a life where I am responsible for my actions and reap the benefits and pitfalls of what I decide to do with it. There are no absolutes and change is expected and welcomed.

I neither cling to good or bad and don't live my life in extremes. I think it is unnatural and detrimental to the mind.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #19

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: Do you think feeling good is a good moral basis?
Feeling right is a good (as in suitable) moral basis. Feeling good (as in pleasure) is a benefit and motivation for doing the right thing.
To examine atheism/secularism and to believe in subjectivity and determinism is truly not rational.
Having we crossed sword enough for you to acknowledge that we have an answer for each of your objections against subjectivity and determinism?

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #20

Post by BwhoUR »

[Replying to post 19 by Bust Nak]

Bust Nak, can you direct me to one of these conversations? Thank you.