Geopolitics

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Geopolitics

Post #1

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Looking at the red state/blue state maps from last election, you begin to notice a certain phenomena. Urban counties are almost exclusively blue, while their rural counterparts are typically red. What factors account for this phenomena? Why are cities more liberal than the countryside?

I have a few ideas.

Cities are comprised of a wider diversity of people, and represent a larger scope of lifestyles. Special events occur in shorter succession, and life moves at a faster pace- in such a fashion that societal change barely registers on the radar.

Rural America, by contrast, is just the opposite. Change typically takes a longer time to permeate society. Life is slow. Consequently, tradition and ritual find a particular stronghold... and the people are much slower to let go of them.

This simple realization sheds light on another phenomena, one which has recently been of particular annoyance to me. Why is Europe so liberal compared to the US? A tell-tale sign is the geography- European populations are so much more congested than in America.

Ideas/comments? What other factors could possibly contribute to an area's political climate?

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by BeHereNow »

The Persnickety Platypus When people hit rough times, they generally want the government to butt in and provide a helping hand. They want social programs, welfare, and equal opportunity; all of which are generally supported by liberals.
My observation is that some of the poorest people, who depend heavily on government support through social services, are conservative Christians. Most home schoolers are conservative Christians, and I believe most home schoolers are dependent on social services, or would qualify. They are single wage earner families, and generally less educated.

There is still a large percentage of families where it is expected that the mother stay at home to raise the kids. I think we could typify them as conservative in their views. In most states a family of four with income about $30K/yr can get medical cards for the children. If the income drops to $25K they can get food stamps. Most families with two adults working full time do not qualify.

I’m certainly not saying most poor people are conservative. I am saying I do not agree most poor people are liberals. I see an even mix.
I often hear people who want social services to help pay the rent or utilities say they already got money from their church, but it wasn’t enough.

I'm in a rural county.
Some of my poorest neighbors are Amish or Mennonite, who certainly are conservatives.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #12

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

In America's case, I don't think it is that the poor are conservative. It is that most of the poor live in rural settings, which naturally inclines them towards a more conservative life-style.

However, that is not to say that cities are generally richer, as I took issue with before. America is simply bigger than most nations, meaning more of the land is rural, meaning more of our population (regardless of economic status) lives in the country.

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #13

Post by OccamsRazor »

Effectively I think that this is related to the activities of the middle classes. The reason being that the middle class are generally the most politically active group.

The middle classes in developed countries are largely economically comfortable and have few issues with their income. Most people vote based on a simple balance between levels of taxation and social services.

In cities the middle class are more accutely aware of social deprivation because, although they may live in an affluent area themselves, a socially deprived area is only down the road. This means that urban middle class people are more likely to vote liberal than their rural counterparts.

In the US I have noticed that cities work a little differently (My Dad lived for many years in Louisville and then LA). Due to the shorter historical growth in the US, towns are planned with a greater division of affluent and poor areas than in Europe. This is partly because, as has been mentioned, there is a greater population density in Europe but also because European cities have evolved over a greater time period.
One should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.

veerar
Student

Life is tough in cities!

Post #14

Post by veerar »

One of the reasons,why,people in cities are more liberal,is,because,the city folks, generally have come from rural backgrounds,and might have suffered in the early stages for getting employed etc. Once a person is settled in a city,he or she,would be fairly well off and generally be liberal as regards philanthropy etc.Folks in cities,may also feel lonely,and hence have more compasson,towards,others,who are suffering.
Kindly forgive me if you are an American.Europe has a long History,Literature,Philosophy and Culture,compared to the USA.Europe has contributed a lot to humanity and the world.While,I do not deny the role of the USA,in the second world war, especially,and to Science,in the post WW2 era,she is generally seen as a tough,arrogant and ruthless nation,be it in sports or diplomacy.
The sufferings during the two world wars and the leftist thought that flourished there,,may also be one reason,why,Europe,seems,a bit more liberal.USA does not encourage leftists or its practitioners.