Abortion due to a complication

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

fonso
Student

Abortion due to a complication

Post #1

Post by fonso »

If your wife was beaten, raped, and was gotten pregnant by a rapist, would you abort the child? Or would you have her give birth?

I'm undecided. Part of me has learned to value life, that perhaps I would agree for the child to be born, only to be given up to an orphanage or some place similar.... although it wasn't too long ago either that I would have instantantly agreed to an abortion.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Piper Plexed »

I would have to let my wife decide. If my wife chose to give birth, I believe I would have a say in the parenting of the child and I really would not have an interest in raising a rapists offspring so adoption would be my wish. Now what if my wife didn't want to put the baby up for adoption, this is kind of a scary thought, I wonder if our marriage would survive. These are life altering decisions which impact the marriage as well as any children involved, seems to be a bit more than emotional convenience at issue here.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Amadeus »

though I understand the child would be a reminder of the injustice done to your wife, I still do not see how it is the child's fault. Perhaps in that situation, you could remember to have compassion for the child and love him/her regardless of how they were conceived.
If the marriage were to fail as a result of this child being born, then I say the parents have some compassion issues and STILL should not punish the child for them. The divorce would be their fault.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Piper Plexed »

Amadeus wrote:though I understand the child would be a reminder of the injustice done to your wife, I still do not see how it is the child's fault. Perhaps in that situation, you could remember to have compassion for the child and love him/her regardless of how they were conceived.
If the marriage were to fail as a result of this child being born, then I say the parents have some compassion issues and STILL should not punish the child for them. The divorce would be their fault.
That is an interesting response, just place blame. Yes being sired by a rapist certainly is not the fault of the child though given any variation on the dilemma like wife wants to keep the baby and husband doesn't readily condemns the child to a life of resentment. I believe divorce would be in the best interests half wanted baby but what about the best interests of pre-existing children, a perfectly happy and functional family is ripped apart. My point is that these are huge decisions and anything beyond Husband and Wife being of exactly like mind (most likely very rare) the fetus's needs become paramount ? :shock:

Well I do not place blame nor do I pass judgment, there would be way too much riding on this decision for me to think I know what is in the best interests for all involved.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #14

Post by Amadeus »

I'm sorry, but none of those circumstances justify murder. :(

Lycan
Student

Post #15

Post by Lycan »

Being a female, if I became pregnant from a rape, I would have the baby. It is not the baby's fault and at least I would know something good came from a horrid situation.

Forge
Student

Post #16

Post by Forge »

If a complication arose, and the doctor tried all in his power to repair the damage, but the child dies, it's not really an abortion, is it?

steen
Scholar

Re: Abortion due to a complication

Post #17

Post by steen »

fonso wrote:If your wife was beaten, raped, and was gotten pregnant by a rapist, would you abort the child? Or would you have her give birth?
Given that she is the one that was impregnanted, it would be her choice. My job would be to support her through the stress she exerienced. The man, of course, is unable to abort the child. he can have an opinion about it, but given the trauma the wife has gone through, only a loser would insist on one or the other, rather than supporting her in whatever decision she feels is necessary for her.

Squall
Student

Post #18

Post by Squall »

Considering I have the extreme doubt that I would marry someone who was pro abortion in the first place. Go through with the pregnancy raise the child as our own. There is no reason to kill the child becuase his father was a scumbag.

Arya
Student

Post #19

Post by Arya »

Considering the tremendous emotional ordeal that a woman faces in the aftermath of a rape attack, then having to face the moral dilemma of carrying to term/raising that child/ending the pregnancy-this is not an easy question.

I am not an advocate for abortion. But I also realize that the circumstances surrounding the decisions to have an abortion are a very personal matter, and I would not feel that it is right for me to tell someone what she should do.

The final decision needs to be made by her, overall. But she should also discuss her decision or feelings with her partner/husband/friends or closest relatives. She should not be "alone" with this ordeal or decision.

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Post #20

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

Lycan wrote:Being a female, if I became pregnant from a rape, I would have the baby. It is not the baby's fault and at least I would know something good came from a horrid situation.
This could happen or it could be a everyday painful reminder of what happened

i dont know what i would do, so i would probably pray about it
Does the fact that you dont believe in God affect whether one exist or not?