How about a one-to-one debating thread option?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

harvey1
Prodigy

How about a one-to-one debating thread option?

Post #1

Post by harvey1 »

I'd like to suggest an option to create a thread in any sub-forum where only one poster can respond if they agree to take up a debate. I've seen this on other web sites, and I thought it was very helpful in following two debaters who take an issue to a certain point, and then the thread is closed. Can we try something like this on this forum? For example, I would like to have some one-on-one debates with QED on the issue of selection of intelligence in the universe.

My idea is that the poster can pick the debater from a list of active members, and the debater can respond. If the debater doesn't respond after so much time has gone by, then the thread is closed and archived. (Or, something like that...)
People say of the last day, that God shall give judgment. This is true. But it is not true as people imagine. Every man pronounces his own sentence; as he shows himself here in his essence, so will he remain everlastingly -- Meister Eckhart

abdulwahid_1426

Post #11

Post by abdulwahid_1426 »

That's a good idea. Its always more fun to watch what happens when someone gets called out.

Cmass
Guru

Post #12

Post by Cmass »

Has this gone anywhere? Seems like a fun idea.

otseng
Savant

Post #13

Post by otseng »

Cmass wrote:Has this gone anywhere? Seems like a fun idea.
Nobody has done this yet. But, if any two contestants are willing to step up, I'd be happy to set it up.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by achilles12604 »

otseng wrote:
Cmass wrote:Has this gone anywhere? Seems like a fun idea.
Nobody has done this yet. But, if any two contestants are willing to step up, I'd be happy to set it up.
Open invitation from myself. I would love a one on one session. I don't even really care about what topic for the most part.

I am strong in some areas and weak in others but I would be willing to investigate most anything in the name of knowledge.

Thus far I have invited a few individuals to one on one but no takers so now my invitation is open to whomever would like to join me.

We could pick each other's brains for a while and jointly accumulate more knowledge.

Or perhaps we could pick the brain of God.

It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by McCulloch »

I personally do not see the point of one-to-one debates. Is there any reason to believe that the truth about a preposition is more likely to be reached by limiting the debate to the skills and knowledge of only two individuals?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by achilles12604 »

McCulloch wrote:I personally do not see the point of one-to-one debates. Is there any reason to believe that the truth about a preposition is more likely to be reached by limiting the debate to the skills and knowledge of only two individuals?
Perhaps not, however one advantage is that the individuals would be able to focus on one another instead of a conglomeration of different ideas, fallacies, etc comming from multiple sources.

I many threads I take part in, I check the status only to find I have to reply to 5 people on 15 different subjects. It would be nice to focus in a little.

This format would also help aleviate off topic discussions and would allow for better control of the direction of the discussion.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by McCulloch »

I'm game. What topic should we do?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by achilles12604 »

McCulloch wrote:I'm game. What topic should we do?
The one you PM'd me would be interesting. I'll PM you back.

AClockWorkOrange
Scholar

Post #19

Post by AClockWorkOrange »

im game for most any topic i am knowledgable of.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Cathar1950 »

I would like to pick a topic that no one know anything about but me.
Maybe my kitchen in childhood.
Or the closet that became the step going up stairs?
Darn I just told you guys.