Other
23%

Total votes: 43

Galphanore
Site Supporter

What were you raised as?

Post #1

Post by Galphanore »

I was just wondering what religion, if any, all of you were raised in.
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by k-nug »

Hmm, another person raised Mormon. I'm glad to see that.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

Undertow
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Undertow »

I wasn't raised as anything. Religion is a non-issue either way in my family.

I was first a skeptic, then a scientist, then an atheist. The former two leading me to the latter through no outside influence. Well, to be fair, I did go to a Lutheran highschool.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Cathar1950 »

k-nug wrote:Hmm, another person raised Mormon. I'm glad to see that.
I wonder if I was that Mormon as my grandfather and my fathers side were strong Reorganized Latter Day Saints, now call a few new names. But my Mother's side were all Baptist or Presbyterian. Later was I Nazarene, Methodist and then Mennonite.

pwsoldier
Student

Post #14

Post by pwsoldier »

I was born and raised mormon. My parents are both converts and very devout. They know that I no longer associate myself with the LDS church, but I have yet to tell them that I've made the switch to atheism.

Darren
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by Darren »

RC from birth til about grade 7 (when it was suggested that I go to 'public school'.

I don't ever remember believing, but I do remember trying to think of what to come up with for confession that would get me out quickly and without so much time on my knees.

Darren
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by Darren »

Confused wrote:...snip... moved to Alaska and after my dad left us. So never went into a church until 4 years ago.
Are you still living in Alaska? I am living in the north also (though in the Canadian side)

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #17

Post by Fallibleone »

I was raised outside of religion. My father had abandoned Catholicism, the religion of his parents, as a young adult and my mother has only ever been agnostic. I was raised to believe that religion was nonsense and I was never christened. I spent a very long time trying to make myself believe in God and return to what I saw as my Catholic roots. God spectacularly failed to get in touch. Happily, at the age of roughly 19 I gave up on such fruitless endeavours and welcomed in logical thought.
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #18

Post by OnceConvinced »

Most churches I grew up in were pentecostal. Varying degrees. Some where very mild, others more extreme. I've spent a bit of time in baptist churches, but they were always ones that endorsed speaking in tongues and gifts of the holy spirit.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Mcstar51
Student

Post #19

Post by Mcstar51 »

My parents aren't religious and they always said I can believe what I want (but serious christianity is a load of crap). Some of my family are christians and I long for the day that I can have a proper debate with them but I guess I'm too young for them to take me seriously.

Darren
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by Darren »

Mcstar51 wrote:My parents aren't religious and they always said I can believe what I want (but serious christianity is a load of crap). Some of my family are christians and I long for the day that I can have a proper debate with them but I guess I'm too young for them to take me seriously.
I think you will do quite well if you only learn to ask and understand interesting questions.