War on Christmas

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

4gold
Sage

War on Christmas

Post #1

Post by 4gold »

I have documented a few of the hundreds of articles that come out each Christmas in the West's cultural battles between atheists who won't stop until all of religion is removed from the public square and Christians who feel that the displays are part of American culture and tradition.

The Young Conservatives of the Univ. of Texas displayed a gay nativity scene featuring Gary and Joseph. Stalin, Lenin, and Marx were the three wise men. Nancy Pelosi was an angel and a terrorist was a shepherd. The ACLU felt this scene was "festive".

In Warwick, N.Y., a parent was offended by the religious display of Santa Claus , but they agreed to let Santa remain so long as Frosty the Snowman was also displayed.

In West Virginia, officials have put the baby Jesus back into the nativity scene , but Mary and Joseph must still remain out.

And of course, what is a war on Christmas without the Holiday Tree ?

I could give you hundreds more examples, but you've all seen the stories and you know what I'm talking about. I think this whole feud is absurd, and I propose a peace treaty:

Atheists agree to allow Santa Claus, the Christmas tree, the Christmas federal holiday, saying Merry Christmas at Walmart, or any other non-Jesus displays even if they contain the word Christmas, so long as it doesn't harm anyone. Christians agree to stop this faux persecution thing and agree to not put Jesus, Mary, or Joseph in the public square, but can proudly display it at your home or church. Yes, I realize it is absurd to think that our Founding Fathers envisioned a country where gay nativity scenes were okay, but Jesus was taboo. Sometimes you have to give up something in a peace treaty.

Will anyone sign this peace treaty? As additional incentive, I will be shooting snowmen every hour on the hour until this war is over.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Goat »

Cephus wrote:And, of course, it's not the atheists who usually do this kind of nonsense either. Heck, look at the recent case in Seattle where a Jewish rabbi threatened to sue because SEATAC had Christmas trees up, but no menorah.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/10/airpor ... index.html

People need to get over themselves.
All the Jewish rabbi wanted to do is have a menorah added to the display, but the airport decieded to remove the display all togather instead.

I think adding a menorah would have been more appropriate.

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Galphanore »

goat wrote:
Cephus wrote:And, of course, it's not the atheists who usually do this kind of nonsense either. Heck, look at the recent case in Seattle where a Jewish rabbi threatened to sue because SEATAC had Christmas trees up, but no menorah.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/10/airpor ... index.html

People need to get over themselves.
All the Jewish rabbi wanted to do is have a menorah added to the display, but the airport decieded to remove the display all togather instead.

Yes, this is a perfect example of an over-reaction resulting in the fallacious claim that this was an example of "The War on Christmas". The Rabbi wanted to hold a Menorah lighting ceremony next to the giant Christmas tree....but instead, the air-port removed all the trees and made it know that they did it because one person complained. It almost seems like they wanted to make a scene. It's a blatant false dichotomy, Christmas alone or nothing.
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

upallnite
Sage

Post #13

Post by upallnite »

I'm down. Every thing but the manger scene seems traditional to me.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

Last night I went out with a bunch of our neighbours singing Christmas carols from door to door and collecting food for the food bank. It was a lot of fun and it did some good. We got to know our community better. Am I a hypocrite and a traitor to Atheism?

Most atheists don't sing very well.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Galphanore »

McCulloch wrote:Last night I went out with a bunch of our neighbours singing Christmas carols from door to door and collecting food for the food bank. It was a lot of fun and it did some good. We got to know our community better. Am I a hypocrite and a traitor to Atheism?
Nah, as long as you're helping people it doesn't really matter what religious trappings are hanging around.
I'll have you know I sing a mean karaoke.
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Confused »

McCulloch wrote:Last night I went out with a bunch of our neighbours singing Christmas carols from door to door and collecting food for the food bank. It was a lot of fun and it did some good. We got to know our community better. Am I a hypocrite and a traitor to Atheism?

That depends. I know you did it for a good cause, but if any of those Christmas carols glorified a God you don't acknowledge, then you singing them is hypocritical. Yes, I realize it is just music, plain fun, and for a good cause, but it is still spreading false messages. You aren't just listening to them, but speaking them. I think there is where I might find some issues with it. If I discredit a Christian for not practicing what they preach, should I not hold us to the same standards. I don't know.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by Cephus »

goat wrote:All the Jewish rabbi wanted to do is have a menorah added to the display, but the airport decieded to remove the display all togather instead.

I personally don't think it was appropriate at all. It isn't like the airport had any religious symbology up at all, there were no manger scenes, there was nothing that represented *ANY* religion, the rabbi had no right whatsoever to insist that his religion be represented in a public place, especially where no other religions were represented.

That's why we have places like churches and synagogues.

Dion
Student

Post #18

Post by Dion »

Burn the heretic!!!

No, of course not, I well remember, many years ago, singing (no doubt badly, as someone suggested) Adeste Fidelis in the University Chapel of St Salvator in St Andrews while the snow lay deep and crisp and somewhat trampled outside. It was all very Christmas cardy and I was perfectly content and happy with the world - though it's possible that the one or two (or was it three or four?) glasses of mulled wine had something to do with that. It only lacked James Stewart appearing through the door with that slightly dopey smile on his face to make it all perfect.

Those pesky Christians stole the solstice celebration from we pagans (sensu lato) so I don't really see why we shouldn't join in the fun whenever the opportunity arises. Any excuse for a party, I say! ;)

AClockWorkOrange
Scholar

Post #19

Post by AClockWorkOrange »

While i think that religion is an insult to human intelligence, Ive always enjoyed most cultural celebrations, i see them as a perpetuation of ethnic history.

Christmas not so much (it has mutated too much), but it still has nice parts.

People should just be less concerned with other peoples private actions.