Feeling of emptiness

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Confused
Site Supporter

Feeling of emptiness

Post #1

Post by Confused »

After finally accepting the truth as I see it and finding a sort of comfort with it, I still feel this emptiness that I can't quite fill. After weighing the information and making an informed decision, I feel I have made the right decision finally. But I can't help feeling as if I am mourning the loss of some sort of hope. Is this normal or am I going insane now to boot?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Confused »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:You only feel empty because you created a void that required filling.

There was never any need for that void.
That may be true, but the void exists nonetheless. How do you uncreate a void? Or what do you fill one with to make it feel again?
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

ManBearPig
Student

Post #12

Post by ManBearPig »

I felt loss after I found out there was no Santa. Most definitely. And actually, like you Confused, atheism makes me a little sad and hopeless sometimes. I mean, for ten years I thought that when I died, I was going to end up in some eternal Disneyland! And then I find out that no, when I die, I probably just cease to exist. How disappointing is that?!

Also there was a lot of consolation in knowing that Someone was in control. I actually wish Christianity were true, though first it would need modification it to make it logically coherent :).

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Confused »

ManBearPig wrote:I felt loss after I found out there was no Santa. Most definitely. And actually, like you Confused, atheism makes me a little sad and hopeless sometimes. I mean, for ten years I thought that when I died, I was going to end up in some eternal Disneyland! And then I find out that no, when I die, I probably just cease to exist. How disappointing is that?!

Also there was a lot of consolation in knowing that Someone was in control. I actually wish Christianity were true, though first it would need modification it to make it logically coherent :).
So how did you find peace. I mean, I never was really theist, I guess just filled with hope that it was true while knowing in my brain that it wasn't. Losing that hope feels like a crushing blow to me. I can accept the fact that at death I cease to exist. This is fine, honestly, it may be the only time I will ever finally get peace. But to lose the thought that there really isn't any major purpose to life in a spiritual manner is hard. I have always lived today for today and with my son having autism, I can't hardly care about tomorrow most days. But I would have wished that there was something after this life that when he died, he could finally experience a real life, not a life in a world of chaos that rules his mind. It is hard for me to accept that he will never know a real life, even if I am dead with no existence afterwards, in the here and now, I so wanted to believe that heaven existed so that I could see my son and think there was a reason he was created the was he was and that once in heaven, he will finally be set free. Maybe this is creating the largest feeling of emptiness and loss of hope.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #14

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

That may be true, but the void exists nonetheless. How do you uncreate a void? Or what do you fill one with to make it feel again?
Let's say you dig a pond. Although you have yet to realize it, you have absolutely no use for this pond. After many rains, it becomes apparent that the pond bed will never saturate, and your pond will never hold any water.

Now you have a big empty void in your yard. The way I see it, you can do one of two things;

(1) Fill the void with something better. May I suggest green jello?

or

(2) Leave it. Come to terms with the fact that you never had any use for the pond, and can get along just as well without it. Let it stand as a testament to your prior stupidity, and a reminder of the wisdom you gleaned from the experience.
I have always lived today for today and with my son having autism, I can't hardly care about tomorrow most days. But I would have wished that there was something after this life that when he died, he could finally experience a real life, not a life in a world of chaos that rules his mind. It is hard for me to accept that he will never know a real life, even if I am dead with no existence afterwards, in the here and now, I so wanted to believe that heaven existed so that I could see my son and think there was a reason he was created the was he was and that once in heaven, he will finally be set free.
You honestly want your son to spend eternity with the guy who would inflict him with such problems in the first place?

God is unworthy of even being graced with the presence of most people I know. I would venture to say that he is probably not worthy of your son's soul either.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #15

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

By the way, this is what I filled my "pond" with.

ManBearPig
Student

Post #16

Post by ManBearPig »

Confused wrote: So how did you find peace.
Hmm. I don't know I guess. I try not to think about it? :)

Platy's humanism link is pretty good. That made me feel kinda warm and fuzzy inside.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Confused »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:By the way, this is what I filled my "pond" with.
I will have to look further into this.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Righteous Indignation
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by Righteous Indignation »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:By the way, this is what I filled my "pond" with.
I think Persnickety Platypus has a point. You may be looking for a new moral compass, which would be Humanism.

There is a one page statement from the American Humanist Association that summarizes Humanism. It’s a very inspirational document. The title is "Humanism And its Aspirations."

Meeting others like yourself is also important. Groups of Atheists, Agnostics, Freethinkers, Humanists, and other people of similar interests are meeting up and forming new friendships through sites like www.meetup.com. I have just started attending these meet ups and the people are just great. I can’t wait for the next meeting.

And then their is us. We are here in this forum to help each other figure out what it’s all about.

Other than what I have already stated my advise is: The most important thing in life is happiness. This does not mean we should only think of ourselves. We are happiest when the people in our lives are also happy. It’s in our programming to feel good when we are helping others. You could say, "The reward of love is happiness." It was true when you were a Christian and it’s true now.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Confused »

Righteous Indignation wrote:
I think Persnickety Platypus has a point. You may be looking for a new moral compass, which would be Humanism.

There is a one page statement from the American Humanist Association that summarizes Humanism. It’s a very inspirational document. The title is "Humanism And its Aspirations."

Meeting others like yourself is also important. Groups of Atheists, Agnostics, Freethinkers, Humanists, and other people of similar interests are meeting up and forming new friendships through sites like www.meetup.com. I have just started attending these meet ups and the people are just great. I can’t wait for the next meeting.

And then their is us. We are here in this forum to help each other figure out what it’s all about.

Other than what I have already stated my advise is: The most important thing in life is happiness. This does not mean we should only think of ourselves. We are happiest when the people in our lives are also happy. It’s in our programming to feel good when we are helping others. You could say, "The reward of love is happiness." It was true when you were a Christian and it’s true now.
Thank you for your advice. I will look into this meetup site. I agree with you about happiness. Though I can't claim ever being Christian, I can say that my life is centered around treating others in kindness as they treat me. If they can't, well, I am human and subject to temper tantrums like anyone else. It just seems to me that the personal attacks are what I am having the hardest time with. That and the fact that I am no longer known as anything by an atheist to many of the Christians on this site that at one point or another used to say keep searching etc..... Oh well.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

wrekk
Scholar

Post #20

Post by wrekk »

Confused wrote:
Righteous Indignation wrote:

Thank you for your advice. I will look into this meetup site. I agree with you about happiness. Though I can't claim ever being Christian, I can say that my life is centered around treating others in kindness as they treat me. If they can't, well, I am human and subject to temper tantrums like anyone else. It just seems to me that the personal attacks are what I am having the hardest time with. That and the fact that I am no longer known as anything by an atheist to many of the Christians on this site that at one point or another used to say keep searching etc..... Oh well.
I have been reading your posts for awhile about your son, and it really hits home with me. I have an 11 year daughter that has been a type 1 diabetic since she was diagnosed at 4. Forgive me, I know that her condition is by far no comparison to your son's, but I do feel that it changed my life as well. Her condition has helped opened my mind, to be a freethinker, and help me find my true sense of morality. I find more meaning to life now, than I ever had before. I look upon the human race with so much more admiration, than I did as a Christian. We are a very special species, that have the unique ability to appreciate life itself.

I too had problems at first filling this "void", but after much thought, I came to a couple of startling realizations.

One being that, why do we feel so special to garner this delusion of immortality? What are we... freaking vampires or something? Do we really and truly want to live forever? I no longer feel this need anymore. I have become completely complacent with the one I have, and to make the best of it.

Two, why must we feel so guilty about being human? That no matter what religion dictates to us, that we are not worthless sinners seeking worth through the "grace of God". We determine are own worth. And our plight itself is a worthy one at that. I believe it is Humanism, as defined by that link.

Yes, it would be nice for my daughter to be cured of this ailment, let alone some place set aside for her after she dies where her body is no longer ravaged by this awful affliction, but until medical science discovers a cure, I will depend on their advancements in medicine to keep her alive and healthy.
You never hear in the news... 200 killed today when Atheist rebels took heavy shelling from the Agnostic stronghold in the North.- Doug Stanhope