2. No
68%

Total votes: 40

Stan
Scholar

Re: Is the Bible the "Word of God"?

Post #191

Post by Stan »

OnceConvinced wrote: For one thing, even people who claim to have a relationship with Jesus don't seem to be able to understand the bible. Nor will any two Christians interpret things the same even two who claim to have the holy spirit.
The operative word here is CLAIM. You either do or don't, simple.
Agreement depends on may things. The most important thing is to have the infilling of the Holy Spirit. There is NO substitute for that. The second is to learn how to properly read and study the Bible. It is called Hermeneutics. Many Christians just cherry pick verses that suit their doctrine. That is called eisegesis and is NOT how to read and study the Bible. Sadly many pastor's teach doctrine and NOT what the Bible actually teaches. Regardless, how man screws things up is NOT the issue here.
OnceConvinced wrote: Another thing, which is true is that if you understand something, you can then impart that understanding to others. Seeings as people who claim to understand the bible can't seem to do that, then that shows they don't understand as well as they think they do. If simply having a relationship with God was enough to understand scripture you wouldn't need pastors up the front of the church preaching. You wouldn't need to have special bible studies for new Christians. You wouldn't need study guides. Every Christian would be able to read the bible and understand it themselves and they would be unity with fellow Christians about what it says. But they don't and they aren't. Most Christians seem to need to have someone else to explain things to them.
Anything in the bible can be explained without the need for a special decoder in the form of the Holy Spirit. All you need to do is put on God glasses and look at things from a specific perspective.
Jesus gave those offices to the church for a reason. Not all Christians are of the same ilk. They are as varied as their fingerprints are. Teachers and elders have always been a part of the church/body. I have been a Christian for OVER 42 years. I would not expect a new convert to know and understand what I do but I am not a teacher or a pastor. Maybe an elder. In any event I was NOT called to be a pastor or teacher. I was a businessman until I retired. There is NOTHING simple about being a Christian. It involves faith and commitment. Please don't equivocate on what I say. It doesn't foster and kind of reciprocal respect.

As I said, if you really WANT to know Jesus I can help you, but trying to discount the Bible based on your apparent misunderstanding of people of faith, is NOT the way to go about it.
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
2 Tim 2:15
8-)

Stan
Scholar

Post #192

Post by Stan »

A Troubled Man wrote: No, I don't think I'm a god, but it's obvious one can't have a relationship with a guy who's been dead for 2000 years.

Being "born again" is just a fad that started some decades ago within the Christian community. It has very little meaning other than zealotry.

Does it make you feel superior to insult me with my username? Is that how born again Christians behave?

This is my point, I said "God" you say "a god". If you can't understand what I actually say or you misquote me or equivocate, then HOW do we carry on a proper debate?

Being "born again', has been happening for over 2000 years, which is NOT a fad. Your opinion of it does NOT alter the facts of it. That people of faith cause you to react means there is something in your heart that bothers you.

You chose the name my friend. Just pointing out your mindset in choosing it. What is it about your real name that you don't like or are afraid to make known?
That is how THIS born again Christian behaves. Sorry I don't meet YOUR expectations, but then again I don't have to do I?
Jesus was very confrontational when it came to attitude. He called Jesus Satan. He also called James and John "Sons of Thunder". “When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, ‘Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?’� (Luke 9:54). Jesus rebuked the brothers, and they all went to another village. James and John’s response to the Samaritans reveals a fervency, impetuosity, and anger that could properly be called “thunderous�—and we can be sure that there were other times when James and John lived up to their nickname.

You WON'T find perfection in Christians, ONLY in Jesus. The following webpage is what real Christians think of themselves.

http://carolwimmer.com/when-i-say-i-am-a-christian
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
8-)

Stan
Scholar

Post #193

Post by Stan »

A Troubled Man wrote: Outsiders? :lol: No Stan, you are not special and in with the "in" crowd. You have faith in a what a book has told you to believe. There isn't anything else. Try to deal with it rather than making up lame excuses and ridiculous claims of relationships with dead guys.

Your derisive comments are NOT unexpected and are born out of ignorance, NOT faith or understanding, so I'll take them as such.
A Troubled Man wrote: First of all, the point is exactly that Aesop is a book of myths, it does not make claim to be an all encompassing truth as the Bible, yet there is no distinction between the talking animals and allegories in Aesop or in the far-fetched stories of the Bible as being anything other than myths. What boggles the mind is the decision one is real while the other is not.

Like I said, Aesop has NOT been proven to have ever lived, but Jesus has. One is called FABLES, the other is NOT. Sorry you can't see the distinction but it is there for ALL to see.
8-)

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #194

Post by A Troubled Man »

Stan wrote:
Your derisive comments are NOT unexpected and are born out of ignorance, NOT faith or understanding, so I'll take them as such.
Of course, my understanding isn't based on faith, that is why I don't pretend to have relationships with 2000 year old dead guys.

Like I said, Aesop has NOT been proven to have ever lived, but Jesus has.
Actually, neither Aesop or Jesus have been proven to have lived, hence we have only the books in which their names appear as the only evidence.
One is called FABLES, the other is NOT. Sorry you can't see the distinction but it is there for ALL to see.
Sorry, but there is no distinction between the two books that would show one is more or less valid than the other. You have not shown that.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #195

Post by A Troubled Man »

Stan wrote:
This is my point, I said "God" you say "a god". If you can't understand what I actually say or you misquote me or equivocate, then HOW do we carry on a proper debate?
Your god is a god just like any other god is a god, they are all equally invisible and undetectable. And, there are thousands of them.

My favorite god is Jeebo. He was sent to Earth to get rid of all the sadness.
Being "born again', has been happening for over 2000 years, which is NOT a fad. Your opinion of it does NOT alter the facts of it. That people of faith cause you to react means there is something in your heart that bothers you.
Sorry, but being "born again" came about in the 60's dude, read your history.
You chose the name my friend. Just pointing out your mindset in choosing it. What is it about your real name that you don't like or are afraid to make known?
That is how THIS born again Christian behaves. Sorry I don't meet YOUR expectations, but then again I don't have to do I?
It isn't my expectation, it is forum rules not to insult others.
Jesus was very confrontational when it came to attitude. He called Jesus Satan. He also called James and John "Sons of Thunder". “When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, ‘Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?’� (Luke 9:54). Jesus rebuked the brothers, and they all went to another village. James and John’s response to the Samaritans reveals a fervency, impetuosity, and anger that could properly be called “thunderous�—and we can be sure that there were other times when James and John lived up to their nickname.
It's all about raining down fire and destroying things with your religion, isn't it.

Stan
Scholar

Post #196

Post by Stan »

A Troubled Man wrote: Of course, my understanding isn't based on faith, that is why I don't pretend to have relationships with 2000 year old dead guys.
Well that's a good thing I guess. I HAVE a relationship with a 2000 year old Son of God who STILL lives.
A Troubled Man wrote: Actually, neither Aesop or Jesus have been proven to have lived, hence we have only the books in which their names appear as the only evidence.
Jesus Christ has been shown to have existed. You unwillingness to accept the evidence does NOT change the FACT.
A Troubled Man wrote: Sorry, but there is no distinction between the two books that would show one is more or less valid than the other. You have not shown that.
The 600 plus OT prophecies fulfilled by Jesus Christ is the distinction. Again your not accepting their reality does NOT change the facts.
8-)

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #197

Post by Sonofason »

A Troubled Man wrote:
Stan wrote:
Well, most of us stopped reading fables and fairy tales years and years ago.
Of course you have to have an actual relationship with Jesus before you can read and understand the truth contained in the Bible.
I'd be more than happy to show you how to have that relationship so you can see the truth. 8-)
You nor anyone else has a relationship with Jesus, your only relationship is with a book called the Bible, which anyone can read. And, there isn't anything you can show me that the Bible cannot.

Perhaps, you may want to re-read Aesop and Grimm so you can re-learn some truths.
I'm with Stan on this one. Those who reject God do not experience God. I have the words and promise of Christ to back that up. We who believe are blessed. We have the Holy Spirit of God dwelling in us. But you who do not love and obey Christ, do not.

Jesus said,
"If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." (John 14:15-17)

It is a disgrace that you would suggest to someone who loves God and who experiences God that you somehow are the same, as if you were entitled to the same blessings as those who love God. It's not true. You are not the same. You are lacking in this area. You have no first hand knowledge of God, as we do. And until you submit your heart to God, you won't.

Stan
Scholar

Post #198

Post by Stan »

A Troubled Man wrote: Your god is a god just like any other god is a god, they are all equally invisible and undetectable. And, there are thousands of them.
Not what I said and you continue the equivocation. I see God in many things and I detect Him in my daily life. Not having a spiritual sense of anything does not mean it doesn't exist.
To quote the Bard;
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.166-7), Hamlet to Horatio
A Troubled Man wrote: My favorite god is Jeebo. He was sent to Earth to get rid of all the sadness.
Being facetious does NOT serve your credibility whatsoever.
A Troubled Man wrote: Sorry, but being "born again" came about in the 60's dude, read your history.
Being born again came out of the Bible dude. John 3:3; “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.�
A Troubled Man wrote: It isn't my expectation, it is forum rules not to insult others.
Why would you pick a user name that you feel insults you?
A Troubled Man wrote: It's all about raining down fire and destroying things with your religion, isn't it.
NOPE! But then again you don't KNOW my religion or God, so this is another assertion that is not surprising in it's ignorance.
8-)

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #199

Post by A Troubled Man »

Stan wrote:
Not what I said and you continue the equivocation. I see God in many things and I detect Him in my daily life.
Sorry, but you don't see God in things, you have a belief that you see God in things because that is what you want to believe. If God were in things, everyone would see God.
Being born again came out of the Bible dude. John 3:3; “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.�
Sorry, but there was no such thing as a "born again" Christian prior to 1961, try to get your facts straight.
Why would you pick a user name that you feel insults you?
That is irrelevant to the fact you used my username to insult me. That is not allowed here.
NOPE! But then again you don't KNOW my religion or God, so this is another assertion that is not surprising in it's ignorance.
I know just as much as you because I have access to the Bible, to say you know more is being dishonest.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #200

Post by A Troubled Man »

Sonofason wrote:
I'm with Stan on this one. Those who reject God do not experience God.
Those who claim to experience God are not telling the truth.
I have the words and promise of Christ to back that up.
You have a book and nothing more.
It is a disgrace that you would suggest to someone who loves God and who experiences God that you somehow are the same, as if you were entitled to the same blessings as those who love God. It's not true. You are not the same. You are lacking in this area. You have no first hand knowledge of God, as we do. And until you submit your heart to God, you won't.
Sorry, but your dishonesty and arrogant superiority is the disgrace here.