The Fall!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

The Fall!

Post #1

Post by POI »

Otseng stated "Yes, I believe the fall is a thing. As for why, it is out of scope for the current discussion, but can be addressed later."

Your wish has been granted.

For debate: Outside the claim being made from an ancient human writing, why is the assertion of 'the fall' a real thing?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: The Fall!

Post #191

Post by TRANSPONDER »

SiNcE_1985 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:42 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:26 pm I think he is making argument from morality; outside the Fall, there is no explanation for human evil nor any remedy for it outside the Bible.
I wouldn't have framed it quite that way.

But in essence, that is my point.
I say Morality (evil) is better understood in terms of evolutionary biology, and the Bible is a remedy for nothing except maybe keeping a door shut.
Opinions.
Undoubtedly O:) We come here to discuss the basis for the opinions we hold to.

SiNcE_1985
Apprentice

Post #192

Post by SiNcE_1985 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 am
Yeah, but the problem is..I am bringing facts.

You guys are bringing opinions to a fact fight.
You got two choices, man; swallow blood, or swallow pride.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #193

Post by TRANSPONDER »

SiNcE_1985 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 am
Yeah, but the problem is..I am bringing facts.

You guys are bringing opinions to a fact fight.
I get where you are coming from. I guess you see What the Bible says as 'Fact', and any questioning of that is Opinion. But that isn't the way it works. Historical records (and any record of the past vis 'History' so don't pull the old 'Bible is not a work of history' stuff. Everything from Plato on Atlantis, Herodotus on on Sesostris and Genesis and exodus on what supposedly happened is open to question. Science argues that genesis is just wrong and ,so I argued, there are increasingly serious reasons to think that Exodus is wrong. So to just call the Bible 'Facts' and any science and history based questioning of it 'opinions' will no longer wash.It just looks denialist and dismissive, and we have seen far too much of that from the bible -apologist side,

POI
Prodigy

Post #194

Post by POI »

SiNcE_1985 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:42 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:26 pm I think he is making argument from morality; outside the Fall, there is no explanation for human evil nor any remedy for it outside the Bible.
I wouldn't have framed it quite that way.

But in essence, that is my point.
The best (explanation/evidence) for human 'evil' resides upon a story told in Genesis? How so?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Capbook
Apprentice

Post #195

Post by Capbook »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 am
Capbook wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:51 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:11 pm
Capbook wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:53 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:21 am But it's the old problem of the pot and the potter. If God made everything including angels and humans, and they turn out flawed, isn't that the fault of the maker?

Maybe one can argue (I've heard it) that God needed men (and angels, it seems) to have free will or their love and obedience meant nothing. But that was his choice and decision. Who else is going to be responsible for how they turned out and what they did? Like some trumpery dictator, God is the ole responsible, but refused to do anything but blunder on trying to correct His mistakes by wiping out most of creation and starting again with a select Best family (who of course were no better than the original creation). God at least shows some sign of remorse, but doubles down by being no better than his creation, picking one select tribe and treating them as bad as he treats the other people, and trying to fin a way out of the Sin he created by a sacrifice that really wasn't that didn't get really rid of the sin it was supposed to.

Fortunately, there is a way out of this mental tangle (other than by ignoring it and reciting the claims that it's all Perfect, he did nothing wrong, and it's everyone else's fault) and that's to recognise that it's all tall tales and made up stories to explain the way all things evolved, to survive, with either selfishness or empathy, and humans (understanding little before science) just invented big invisible humans (from Inzanami to Viracocha and Odin to Shiva to explain what they didn't understand, and that's why it makes no sense and conflicts with the evidence.

Of course, our valued poster O:) you will deny all that, make faith -claims and cite Bibleverse as though that validated something or anything.

We debate here, so what you believe or what I believe is irrelevant. What seems to fit the evidence and reason is what counts, and the evidence is that Eden and sin was arranged by God to bring out man's innate created flaw of pride, disobedience, knowledge of facts rather than just accepting what lies they are being told. And the evidence is that virtually nothing in the first two books is actually true, even if Exodus is loosely based on the Hyksos expulsion.

The choice then is to deny the evidence - not only science, like life evolved over millions of years and wasn't made in one lump in a week, or the pyramids of Egypt or the Maya temples are nothing to do with Babelian ziggurats, but what the Bible itself says, like the daylight and night was made before the sun, or the women ran from the tomb after having met the risen Jesus (Matthew) or ran from the tomb having no idea what had happened (John), and to reject logic and reason, like the burden of proof being on the claimant or the validity of the more probable explanation, not the far -fetched undisprovable that one prefers to belief.

Because Faith is not a virtue, gullibility is not praiseworthy, and to deny evidence and reason as valid means that the faithbased argument has no logical or evidential validity.

And that is the 'choice' that we have, not to believe or not (which we can't choose) but to accept or deny evidence and reason, or choose Faith and Denial by preference.
May I know what is your evidence of your statement that Eden and sin was arranged by God?

A study was made by Brad Harrub, Ph.D. and Bert Thompson, Ph.D.
Titled: Do Human and Chimpanzee DNA Indicate an Evolutionary Relationship?
These two researchers concluded that homology (or similarity) does not prove common ancestry. Further, the concept of homology in terms of similar genes handed on from a common ancestor has broken down, they said. Yet textbooks and teachers still continue to proclaim that humans and chimps are 98% genetically identical and stop from there.

My question is why still continue to proclaim that?
Now this is off the top of my head, but we can look at this if you want. But humans actually have one less chromosome than apes. This was found to be because the ape DNA later had a fused chromosome, proving that the ape DNA evolved from the ape DNA. You cannot have a fused chromosome without an earlier unfused origin.

https://johnhawks.net/weblog/when-did-h ... me-2-fuse/

The study refers to (published by 'apologetics press' wanted to throw doubt on primate ancestry, so ignore the detail evidence (e.g retroviruses) and simply said 'that does not prove it'. It looks like a flawed, incomplete apologetics debunk, not a valid paper. Biologists continue to proclaim the evidence for the evolutionary relation between human and chims because that is what the evidence shows.

As to Eden, the scenario is that Life and knowledge were somehow incorporated into the fruit of two trees, which makes no sense, since Adam would continue to live all the time he ate from the tree of Life. But that morality was contained in a fruit seems absurd. If God didn't want Adam to eat from it, why even have it there? On top of that he w had a walking snake that was able to talk at least just for that scenario (so who gave it that ability?) and it told what was evidently the truth.having knowledge of morality would not cause Adam to die. It was God arranging that as a punishment.

Previous discussions have forced apologists to even suggest that God was working blind otherwise He could just have stepped in and prevented this. The strong conclusion is that God wanted this to happen so that sin could enter the world as well as death, as some game of his own.

Fortunately I don't have to struggle with (or simply dismiss and ignore) such conclusions, because it is simply a fairy - tale to explain how and why we are as we are, when God should have made us perfect (and God already got the angels wrong, too).
I was shown by POI of Kenneth Miller in YouTube explaining about chimps and human chromosomes.
Miller, a devout Catholic and evolutionist, believes God and science can coexist in the chapel and the lab. The key, Miller says, is to set aside the assumption that science and religion rule each other out.

My question is why rule the Bible out? My arguments are quoted from the Bible.
And the belief of some scientists that science is the only source of truth is not even a scientific idea.
You can say that again. science makes no pronouncements about the philosophy of truth, only the method of detection we rely on every day as being the way to do it. It is theists trying to denigrate science that accuse it of claiming to be the only source or truth, which is really projection of their own position (faithbased) and fails because they can't even agree which Faith it should be.

"There are many religions; there is only one science". Why should we rule the Bible out? You tell me. Why rule out the Quran or the Bhaghavad Gita? Well, we know why, because the Bible claims support from the 'science' of history. But if anything, the Quran is better based on history. hardly anyone doubts that Muhammad spread Islam through conquest. That is a better record than on whether the Biblical Jesus is historical.

I can respect the views of those scientists who still believe in 'god'...sorta. At best, they keep science and faith apart, but there is always the threat that the religion will sneak in and compromise the science.

It's like this, we can tolerate mechanics who believe that engines run because of invisible engine gnomes, so long as they do their job as though they didn't.
Science makes no pronouncements about the philosophy of truth, scientists did.

You believe more on Quran that had better record? Quran mentioned the Scriptures and it confirms its existence.

Scriptures existed during Judaism's time.
While the first instance of Bible translation took place in about 300 B.C.
The pioneer of science was born on February 15, 1564.
Contrary to your assumption, it is science that sneaked in and tried to compromise the long existed Scriptures and the Bible.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #196

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Capbook wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:50 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 am
Capbook wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:51 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:11 pm
Capbook wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:53 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:21 am But it's the old problem of the pot and the potter. If God made everything including angels and humans, and they turn out flawed, isn't that the fault of the maker?

Maybe one can argue (I've heard it) that God needed men (and angels, it seems) to have free will or their love and obedience meant nothing. But that was his choice and decision. Who else is going to be responsible for how they turned out and what they did? Like some trumpery dictator, God is the ole responsible, but refused to do anything but blunder on trying to correct His mistakes by wiping out most of creation and starting again with a select Best family (who of course were no better than the original creation). God at least shows some sign of remorse, but doubles down by being no better than his creation, picking one select tribe and treating them as bad as he treats the other people, and trying to fin a way out of the Sin he created by a sacrifice that really wasn't that didn't get really rid of the sin it was supposed to.

Fortunately, there is a way out of this mental tangle (other than by ignoring it and reciting the claims that it's all Perfect, he did nothing wrong, and it's everyone else's fault) and that's to recognise that it's all tall tales and made up stories to explain the way all things evolved, to survive, with either selfishness or empathy, and humans (understanding little before science) just invented big invisible humans (from Inzanami to Viracocha and Odin to Shiva to explain what they didn't understand, and that's why it makes no sense and conflicts with the evidence.

Of course, our valued poster O:) you will deny all that, make faith -claims and cite Bibleverse as though that validated something or anything.

We debate here, so what you believe or what I believe is irrelevant. What seems to fit the evidence and reason is what counts, and the evidence is that Eden and sin was arranged by God to bring out man's innate created flaw of pride, disobedience, knowledge of facts rather than just accepting what lies they are being told. And the evidence is that virtually nothing in the first two books is actually true, even if Exodus is loosely based on the Hyksos expulsion.

The choice then is to deny the evidence - not only science, like life evolved over millions of years and wasn't made in one lump in a week, or the pyramids of Egypt or the Maya temples are nothing to do with Babelian ziggurats, but what the Bible itself says, like the daylight and night was made before the sun, or the women ran from the tomb after having met the risen Jesus (Matthew) or ran from the tomb having no idea what had happened (John), and to reject logic and reason, like the burden of proof being on the claimant or the validity of the more probable explanation, not the far -fetched undisprovable that one prefers to belief.

Because Faith is not a virtue, gullibility is not praiseworthy, and to deny evidence and reason as valid means that the faithbased argument has no logical or evidential validity.

And that is the 'choice' that we have, not to believe or not (which we can't choose) but to accept or deny evidence and reason, or choose Faith and Denial by preference.
May I know what is your evidence of your statement that Eden and sin was arranged by God?

A study was made by Brad Harrub, Ph.D. and Bert Thompson, Ph.D.
Titled: Do Human and Chimpanzee DNA Indicate an Evolutionary Relationship?
These two researchers concluded that homology (or similarity) does not prove common ancestry. Further, the concept of homology in terms of similar genes handed on from a common ancestor has broken down, they said. Yet textbooks and teachers still continue to proclaim that humans and chimps are 98% genetically identical and stop from there.

My question is why still continue to proclaim that?
Now this is off the top of my head, but we can look at this if you want. But humans actually have one less chromosome than apes. This was found to be because the ape DNA later had a fused chromosome, proving that the ape DNA evolved from the ape DNA. You cannot have a fused chromosome without an earlier unfused origin.

https://johnhawks.net/weblog/when-did-h ... me-2-fuse/

The study refers to (published by 'apologetics press' wanted to throw doubt on primate ancestry, so ignore the detail evidence (e.g retroviruses) and simply said 'that does not prove it'. It looks like a flawed, incomplete apologetics debunk, not a valid paper. Biologists continue to proclaim the evidence for the evolutionary relation between human and chims because that is what the evidence shows.

As to Eden, the scenario is that Life and knowledge were somehow incorporated into the fruit of two trees, which makes no sense, since Adam would continue to live all the time he ate from the tree of Life. But that morality was contained in a fruit seems absurd. If God didn't want Adam to eat from it, why even have it there? On top of that he w had a walking snake that was able to talk at least just for that scenario (so who gave it that ability?) and it told what was evidently the truth.having knowledge of morality would not cause Adam to die. It was God arranging that as a punishment.

Previous discussions have forced apologists to even suggest that God was working blind otherwise He could just have stepped in and prevented this. The strong conclusion is that God wanted this to happen so that sin could enter the world as well as death, as some game of his own.

Fortunately I don't have to struggle with (or simply dismiss and ignore) such conclusions, because it is simply a fairy - tale to explain how and why we are as we are, when God should have made us perfect (and God already got the angels wrong, too).
I was shown by POI of Kenneth Miller in YouTube explaining about chimps and human chromosomes.
Miller, a devout Catholic and evolutionist, believes God and science can coexist in the chapel and the lab. The key, Miller says, is to set aside the assumption that science and religion rule each other out.

My question is why rule the Bible out? My arguments are quoted from the Bible.
And the belief of some scientists that science is the only source of truth is not even a scientific idea.
You can say that again. science makes no pronouncements about the philosophy of truth, only the method of detection we rely on every day as being the way to do it. It is theists trying to denigrate science that accuse it of claiming to be the only source or truth, which is really projection of their own position (faithbased) and fails because they can't even agree which Faith it should be.

"There are many religions; there is only one science". Why should we rule the Bible out? You tell me. Why rule out the Quran or the Bhaghavad Gita? Well, we know why, because the Bible claims support from the 'science' of history. But if anything, the Quran is better based on history. hardly anyone doubts that Muhammad spread Islam through conquest. That is a better record than on whether the Biblical Jesus is historical.

I can respect the views of those scientists who still believe in 'god'...sorta. At best, they keep science and faith apart, but there is always the threat that the religion will sneak in and compromise the science.

It's like this, we can tolerate mechanics who believe that engines run because of invisible engine gnomes, so long as they do their job as though they didn't.
Science makes no pronouncements about the philosophy of truth, scientists did.

You believe more on Quran that had better record? Quran mentioned the Scriptures and it confirms its existence.

Scriptures existed during Judaism's time.
While the first instance of Bible translation took place in about 300 B.C.
The pioneer of science was born on February 15, 1564.
Contrary to your assumption, it is science that sneaked in and tried to compromise the long existed Scriptures and the Bible.
Science makes no pronouncements about anything other than what models of reality (hypotheses) the evidence indicates. It is religion that makes dogmatic pronouncements about 'truth'.

I don't trust the Quran any more than the Bible, but the indirect history seems to support a warlord spread Islam in the time of the Byzantine empire. It was probably Muhammad and there may be a record of his existence outside the Quran. I'll check. There is little or none for Jesus outside of the Bible.

Judais scripture existed during Judaic times. That proves just..what? The Jewish writings were first translated for Ptolemy's library. So what, exactly? What does the pioneer of science have to do with anything?

Your suggestion that science coming later and explaining ancient writings and finding they are actually wrong is somehow not valid? How do you work that out? Antiquity validates nothing but something being old. The Sumerian or Egyptian myths are some of the oldest. That doesn't make them true, does it?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #197

Post by Clownboat »

Capbook wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:50 pm Contrary to your assumption, it is science that sneaked in and tried to compromise the long existed Scriptures and the Bible.
You need to learn that what you debate against.
Science is a method, not some 'thing' that happened to compromise any religious holy books.

*Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt*
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #198

Post by LittleNipper »

POI wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:51 am Otseng stated "Yes, I believe the fall is a thing. As for why, it is out of scope for the current discussion, but can be addressed later."

For debate: Outside the claim being made from an ancient human writing, why is the assertion of 'the fall' a real thing?
Because EVIL is a real behavior and unexplainable unless one recognizes good and kindness as absolutely the best for everyone, the creation and desired by the Creator.

POI
Prodigy

Post #199

Post by POI »

LittleNipper wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:25 pm
POI wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:51 am Otseng stated "Yes, I believe the fall is a thing. As for why, it is out of scope for the current discussion, but can be addressed later."

Because EVIL is a real behavior and unexplainable unless one recognizes good and kindness as absolutely the best for everyone, the creation and desired by the Creator.
Your response begs the question in that your reply already assumes the God you believe in is both real and has specific desires. I'll repeat the debate question:

Outside the claim being made from an ancient human writing, why is the assertion of 'the fall' a real thing?

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #200

Post by LittleNipper »

POI wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:33 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:25 pm

Your response begs the question in that your reply already assumes the God you believe in is both real and has specific desires. I'll repeat the debate question:

Outside the claim being made from an ancient human writing, why is the assertion of 'the fall' a real thing?
Your own response begs the question: Why can the FALL not be a real thing given the human condition one finds everywhere throughout the world? I can assume that there is GOD because no one has produced biological life from inert substances that already exist ---- let alone from nothing.