A Good Edition of the Bible

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Xander
Student

A Good Edition of the Bible

Post #1

Post by Xander »

Can anyone refer me to a good edition of the bible to pick up? That is, one that is translated well and accurately transcribed, or possessing of any other necessary qualities that are desirable. Thanks!

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Cathar1950 »

the the interpreter's bible? Sounds good. I like the New English or the English standard although the Young's literal is fun.
I would like one that not only gave the best translation but differences where it seems needed and a history of translations and why they went one way or another, yet you can still miss the intent.

cnorman18

Post #22

Post by cnorman18 »

Cathar1950 wrote:the the interpreter's bible? Sounds good. I like the New English or the English standard although the Young's literal is fun.
I would like one that not only gave the best translation but differences where it seems needed and a history of translations and why they went one way or another, yet you can still miss the intent.
If you're only going to use one version, The Interpreter's Bible is the one.

A Commentary in Twelve Volumes

The New Interpreter’s Bible presents leading biblical scholarship through an in-depth commentary on the complete Bible, including the Apocrypha. The contributors are leading biblical scholars who bring a wealth of fresh perspectives to biblical interpretation. The contributors are also theologically diverse, reflecting a wide range of denominational backgrounds: Roman Catholic, mainline Protestant, Jewish, and evangelical. The NIB offers the complete text of two leading biblical translations (the NIV and the NRSV), detailed commentary on coherent manageable portions of text, maps, and excursuses. The Reflections sections are a crucial component of the NIB that provide thoughtful, and thought-provoking, insights on the contemporary application of the biblical text for preaching, teaching, and daily living.
And, from Wikipedia:

The volumes contain in-depth introductions and commentaries, complemented by original translations, with full critical notes that include alternate readings and alternative translations. Synopses of informed discussion of the historical origins and the manuscripts' traditions are also provided.

These volumes are not designed for the casual Bible reader, but for the "educated layman" who is already prepared with a general understanding of and interest in higher criticism, or for members of the clergy who are already familiar with basic Biblical criticism.

The original series utilized the King James Version and the Revised Standard Version. An updated series beginning in the 1990s, the New Interpreter's Bible series uses the New International Version and the New Revised Standard Version.
One-stop shopping.

(Excursuses is not a misprint, by the way.)

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by Cathar1950 »

cnorman18 wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:the the interpreter's bible? Sounds good. I like the New English or the English standard although the Young's literal is fun.

The New Interpreter’s Bible presents leading biblical scholarship through an in-depth commentary on the complete Bible, including the Apocrypha. The contributors are leading biblical scholars who bring a wealth of fresh perspectives to biblical interpretation. The contributors are also theologically diverse, reflecting a wide range of denominational backgrounds: Roman Catholic, mainline Protestant, Jewish, and evangelical. The NIB offers the complete text of two leading biblical translations (the NIV and the NRSV), detailed commentary on coherent manageable portions of text, maps, and excursuses. The Reflections sections are a crucial component of the NIB that provide thoughtful, and thought-provoking, insights on the contemporary application of the biblical text for preaching, teaching, and daily living.
And, from Wikipedia:

The volumes contain in-depth introductions and commentaries, complemented by original translations, with full critical notes that include alternate readings and alternative translations. Synopses of informed discussion of the historical origins and the manuscripts' traditions are also provided.

These volumes are not designed for the casual Bible reader, but for the "educated layman" who is already prepared with a general understanding of and interest in higher criticism, or for members of the clergy who are already familiar with basic Biblical criticism.

The original series utilized the King James Version and the Revised Standard Version. An updated series beginning in the 1990s, the New Interpreter's Bible series uses the New International Version and the New Revised Standard Version.
One-stop shopping.

I liked he anchor bible at least the few volumes I own and have used if we are going to lug around a library.

cnorman18

Post #24

Post by cnorman18 »

Cathar1950 wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:

And, from Wikipedia:

One-stop shopping.

I liked he anchor bible at least the few volumes I own and have used if we are going to lug around a library.
Yeah, a library is good too...

Bridwell Library at Perkins, SMU, for a Bible scholar, is what Heaven looks like. Awesome.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Cathar1950 »

Can I get the interpreter's bible cheap I suppose I can make room

Murad
Guru

Post #26

Post by Murad »

Cathar1950 wrote:Can I get the interpreter's bible cheap I suppose I can make room
Im not sure about the price range; but trust me, its worth every single penny.

In comparison to other translations & versions of the Bible; its very, very informative; and i urge you to read it; infact; its a must for all Christians.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by Cathar1950 »

Abingdon press Brings back my old college days. I still have some of those books.
I better not get into publishers or I could go on and on about this book or another.
I find it fun to go back to books and areas of study and reread with different eyes looking for what I thought might have been deep at one time and mundane so many years later but with new insights and connections and oversights and mistakes.

Darias
Guru

Post #28

Post by Darias »

cnorman18 wrote:

And, from Wikipedia:

One-stop shopping.

If I wanted to read commentary and theological opinions and interpretations about the Bible, I'd buy books written about the Bible from those perspectives.

And if this version you speak of is praised by you, theologically Jewish, and Murad, theologically Muslim, why would I want to buy it? If it is slam-full of interpretations that both of you agree with (both of which line up with your particular ideologies) why would a Christian want it -- especially if it doesn't present Christian interpretations in a fair light? (I don't know if it does or not, I'm just asking.)

I use the New American Standard Bible, which is the closest that modern English can get to Greek and Hebrew, at least in a literal sense.

I don't really agree with everything that my Bible says, but at least I know that the words (attributed to God or the authors or whoever) are relatively accurate.

And I have the comfort of knowing that whatever is present isn't being filtered through an ideological perspective (outside the own author's particular views)

... idk, maybe my reservations are a bi-product of my Protestantism.

cnorman18

Post #29

Post by cnorman18 »

Darias wrote:
If I wanted to read commentary and theological opinions and interpretations about the Bible, I'd buy books written about the Bible from those perspectives.

And if this version you speak of is praised by you, theologically Jewish, and Murad, theologically Muslim, why would I want to buy it? If it is slam-full of interpretations that both of you agree with (both of which line up with your particular ideologies) why would a Christian want it -- especially if it doesn't present Christian interpretations in a fair light? (I don't know if it does or not, I'm just asking.)

I use the New American Standard Bible, which is the closest that modern English can get to Greek and Hebrew, at least in a literal sense.

I don't really agree with everything that my Bible says, but at least I know that the words (attributed to God or the authors or whoever) are relatively accurate.

And I have the comfort of knowing that whatever is present isn't being filtered through an ideological perspective (outside the own author's particular views)

... idk, maybe my reservations are a bi-product of my Protestantism.
You are apparently under the impression that the point of a scholarly Bible commentary or study Bible is to impose a particular interpretation or perspective or stump for a particular point of view or doctrinal emphasis.

I don't think I have time to help you overcome that approach. Suffice it to say that having a Bible commentary that intentionally includes a variety of differing perspectives and doctrinal approaches makes it very unlikely that any with a particular axe to grind is going to be dominant. The Bible scholar is not interested in doctrine; he is interested in the history and context of the words that appear on the page, their connection with other sources of the time and other places in the text, and their literal meaning. The religious doctrines based on those conclusions are not his job nor his focus. That is the job of the theologian or the preacher.

If you'll take a look at this thread, you might get an inkling of what we're talking about here.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Re: A Good Edition of the Bible

Post #30

Post by Yahu »

Xander wrote:Can anyone refer me to a good edition of the bible to pick up? That is, one that is translated well and accurately transcribed, or possessing of any other necessary qualities that are desirable. Thanks!
Personally, I compare several different versions. For general reading, I would suggest an amplified because it also lists alternate possible translations where it is disputed.

I like to test a version by seeing if they catch a common error in Isa 57:9. Most bibles mistranslate 'king' in that passage. It is actually a reference to the pagan god 'Molech' which is spelled the same in Hebrew. The only difference is the later vowel pointed that was added for readability. Molech is vowel pointed for 'shame' ie 'shameful king' but is used as a proper name when in fact it is just a title. The passage is about the pagan worship in the grove outside Jerusalem and the valley of Hinnom below where Molech worship was conducted. It even references 'killing the children in the valley' earlier is the passage. If the translators didn't understand the context of the passage, they mistranslate Molech as Melek. The amplified says 'king [or Molech]' showing the debated translation of the passage.

AKJV
Isa 57:9 And you went to the king with ointment, and did increase your perfumes, and did send your messengers far off, and did debase yourself even to hell.

Now this verse is about ritual witchcraft being conducted via Molech worship to summon demonic spirits to send in spells and curses by worshiping the ruler of hell. It is referencing satan worship. This same valley was later renamed Gehenna and used as a direct reference to hell. Molech is one of the primary Baalim (plural for Baal). He is the 'king' in the Canaanite unholy trinity of Baal (prince, lord), Ashtoreth (queen of heaven) and Molech (shameful king).

If I am doing deep study, I use a bible software package with over 50 translations available and built in interlinear so I can go back to the root Hebrew linked with Strongs and multiple lexicons.

For basic reading on PC, the Online Bible software is free and you can download many versions as well as coming with the AS with strong number looking quick reference to the root words.

IMO you should AVOID paraphrase translations like the NIV. They are garbage IMO. They may be easy to read but are heavily bias by the translators interpretation of ideas.

I personally prefer translations that keep in the Hebrew names like the names of god such as El, Eloah, Elohyim, YHVH. If you don't know what Hebrew word is used you miss things like Job's friends use a different word for god. They are pagans that follow different gods then Job. That fact is lost in the English translation due to all of them being translated 'God' when many should be 'god/gods'.

When possible, get a translation that is translated from the original text. Many English translation went from Hebrew->Greek->Latin->German->English. It is better to get a translation that comes directly from the Hebrew/Greek -> English.

I don't know of any perfect translations. You need to look at several and see where they vary to point out places to dig deeper. I ended up going back to bible college to learn Hebrew so I could get better understanding out of an interlinear old testament.

To dig even deeper then that, go back to the paleo-hebrew word pictures. Each letter has meaning that paints another layer of complexity to scripture. You wouldn't believe the amount of information that is lost by any english translation.