December 21, 2012

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

lastcallhall
Sage

December 21, 2012

Post #1

Post by lastcallhall »

There is a lot of talk about December 21, 2012 and the end of the mayan calender. Some people think the world will come to end end or something really big is going to happen. I want people to answer who do not believe the Bible that Jesus will return and the world will not end. So I have two questions

1. Are you worried about this date?

2. What do you think will happen on this date? If you think something is going to happen what and can we prevent it?
All the powers of darkness can't drown out a single word

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Re: December 21, 2012

Post #21

Post by 99percentatheism »

lastcallhall wrote: There is a lot of talk about December 21, 2012 and the end of the mayan calender. Some people think the world will come to end end or something really big is going to happen. I want people to answer who do not believe the Bible that Jesus will return and the world will not end. So I have two questions

2. What do you think will happen on this date? If you think something is going to happen what and can we prevent it?
Mayan's?

Their history doesn't exactly give much confidence in their predictive prowess.

Unless of course some of it was written in prophetic spanish.

Atrax Robustus
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by Atrax Robustus »

December 21, 2012 . . . . . . . . . where?

Here in the antipodes it'll be close to December 23 before the last vestiges of December 21 pass by for everyone on our hurtling rocky orb. Do I have to be on my guard for two whole days or did the Mayan's also state which time zone they were referring to?

Do I really have to wait until December 23 to start my "It didn't end after all" party?
I [would] take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day. - Douglas Adams

still_learning

Post #23

Post by still_learning »

lastcallhall wrote: There is a lot of talk about December 21, 2012 and the end of the mayan calender. Some people think the world will come to end end or something really big is going to happen. I want people to answer who do not believe the Bible that Jesus will return and the world will not end. So I have two questions

Not sure if I'm one of the people you want to hear from -- neither Christian nor secular, but do believe in the Bible. I'm a Baha'i and I'm not worried at all. My vacation starts that day!

Hairytic

Post #24

Post by Hairytic »

Goat wrote:
lastcallhall wrote:There is a lot of talk about December 21, 2012 and the end of the mayan calender. Some people think the world will come to end end or something really big is going to happen. I want people to answer who do not believe the Bible that Jesus will return and the world will not end. So I have two questions

nope, not at all.

Just keep the crazies off the street, and we'll be just fine.
Iim not worried about that date. I have seen too many of these dates come and go and the world continued to turn and the run rose the next morning to a new day.
What will most likely happen is that those who think the world as we know it will end on that date will begin to recalculate and make some claim that the date was calculated incorrectly because of leap year or translation errors or any number of excuses.

I

PhilosoRaptor
Student

Post #25

Post by PhilosoRaptor »

1. I wasn't in the slightest. Most of the hoorah about it was based on a false understanding of the Mayan culture.

2. Apparently nothing, hahaha.