Prophecy (head to head debate, RedEye vs Tart)

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

Prophecy (head to head debate, RedEye vs Tart)

Post #1

Post by Tart »

This topic is for a head to head debate about prophecy and whether that prophecy is true or not, between RedEye and Tart. This topic was started in debate about whether or not the Christian Bible is authored by men or God, and how to determine such things... The scripture tells us that we may know the truth by prophecy, that we can be revealed the truth from an All Knowing God by the witnessing of prophecy... For example, Jesus said on many occasions "I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe.", or "23 So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.", etc...

That is the claim in the scripture, that prophecy is revealing to us the mysteries of God, and I certainly think that is true. It isnt only true for Jesus, or for the Israelite, I see it true from me, and my life, and the world around me. The Bible is riddled with prophecy, its said to be made up of 1/3 prophecy... It is actually quite amazing, the power of God revealed from his word.

Below I am just going to post our conversation, and continue from there.
Tart wrote:
RedEye wrote:
Tart wrote:
RedEye wrote:
Tart wrote: Good that you recognize being bias... You are right, we all have biases and I think if we come from a perspective that is not bias in concluding judgement about the scripture, that it is sufficient in demonstrating its Word.

Ya, so lets look at the prophecy... What is your criteria for prophecy?
Since you have left it up to me I suggest these:

viewtopic.php?t=2142&lofi=1
Lets start with Jeremiahs prophecy about Jerusalem (Jeremiah 31)... You believe this is false prophecy?

38 “The days are coming,� declares the Lord, “when this city will be rebuilt for me from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate. 39 The measuring line will stretch from there straight to the hill of Gareb and then turn to Goah. 40 The whole valley where dead bodies and ashes are thrown, and all the terraces out to the Kidron Valley on the east as far as the corner of the Horse Gate, will be holy to the Lord. The city will never again be uprooted or demolished.�
Of course it is false prophecy. It fails multiple criteria. There are no specifics given on when this prophecy will come to pass --- it is completely open-ended because we can never know if Jerusalem will be destroyed again (as it was about 70CE). There is also no agreement among modern scholars on the location of most of the landmarks referred to in this passage — the Tower of Hananel, the Hill of Gareb, Goah, and so on. That makes it impossible to verify against present day Jerusalem (which has expanded to the north of the ancient city). Jerusalem has been captured and desolated several times from 2600 years ago and its current state still cannot be described as fully restored. Arab Muslims still control some areas of Jerusalem.

Was this really your best shot?
My best shot? There are more prophecies we can look at, but first...
I suggest you go back and read what I asked of you. First, I wanted you to start a new thread so we don't derail this one. You chose not to. Second, I wanted your single best candidate for a prophecy. That was to avoid this game of you dropping each failed attempt and immediately moving on to another, making an endless amount of work for me. Again, you want to ignore my request.
1) When did specific dates become requirements for prophecies? They arent... Look up "prophecy", get a definition, there is nothing that states it needs to name a specific date. Id suggest that your "criteria" (that you probably imagined up in your head) is a means of discrediting prophecy on standards that doesnt define prophecy... Its almost like a No True Scotsman fallacy, (but no true prophecy fallacy), on "criteria" you come up with to do so.
If you remember I asked you to do this job. Instead you left it up to me. Now you complain because you don't like for there to be any rules. (The criteria were not imagined up by me. I even provided you a link to them and as you can see I am not the author). It is not unreasonable that a specific date be given otherwise an alleged prophecy becomes vague and open-ended as I have explained. Here is another link if you don't like the first set of criteria:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_ ... e_prophecy
Are you really telling me a prophecy cant have a "never again" element? Why would anyone need to accept this "criteria" from you?
I have already explained why. How do we know that Jerusalem won't be destroyed again in 10 years time via a terrorist attack (sneaking in an atomic bomb for example). We can't know. Therefore a prophecy which states that Jerusalem will never again be destroyed is useless. To validate it would require us to know the future right out to eternity. Since that is impossible, the "prophecy"can never be validated.
Actually this prophecy of "never again" is an extremely improbable prophecy that seems to be fulfilling...

2) when did prophecy become dependent on where scholars can agree upon exact locations? Maybe the prophecy should have read:

this city will be rebuilt for me from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate. 39 The measuring line will stretch from there straight to the hill of Gareb and then turn to Goah. 40 The whole valley where dead bodies and ashes are thrown, and all the terraces out to the Kidron Valley on the east as far as the corner of the Horse Gate, will be holy to the Lord. The city will never again be uprooted or demolished.�, but only if scholars can agree on the location"
~Jeremiah
Very droll. If we have no way of determining these locations within the city, how do you suggest we determine the truth of the specifics of the "prophecy"? Do we guess? :shock:
We can certainly locate the location, even if scholars dont agree on the exact location of the landmarks. This is Jerusalem they are talking about, and we know where Jerusalem is, all the way back to that time.
The landmarks (place locations) are the issue not the location of Jerusalem itself.
What is a valid reason this prophecy is false?
I've given you a number of reasons. Until you argue against them (other than dismissing out of hand reasonable criteria for what constitutes a valid prophecy) I don't need any more.

So first of all, i think this subject is relevant to this topic... We can tell that it is authored by an "All Knowing" God by true prophecy... But if you continue to insist to move to another topic, fine. Id like to do a head on head, but it seems to be closed for some reason

Second, why shouldn't we conciser all prophecy? The Bible has been said to be composed of 1/3 prophecy... That is a lot of prophecy! Any true prophecy would be a good example...

And finally, why should we accept your criteria for prophecy? How is this not a classic "No True Scotsman Fallacy"? The criteria you are giving isnt only irrelevant to prophecy being prophecy, its not even independent...

Every list of criteria you are giving is coming from bias, and one sided sources, whom would have an interest in disqualifying prophecy... The sources you give for criteria are building a list, becuase they want to discredit prophecy.

For example, here are some quotes from your criteria...

"Different persons with different interpretations, and even vastly different expectations originating from diverse world views, should all reach virtually the same conclusion."

Yet this list isnt accepted by different persons with different interpretations. This list is proposed and accepted by non-believers... Why should we accept it? It seems like the only people who "reach virtually the same conclusion" about this criteria is nonbeliever...

"The event must be independently confirmed to have happened."

Shouldnt your list of criteria be held to the same standards that you set for prophecy? It should be independently confirmed...

"Definite empirical evidence must be publicly available to document that the prophecy predates its fulfillment." "Otherwise, knowledge of the outcomes could have influenced the selection process..."

How do we know your criteria hasnt been influenced in the same way you criticize the prophecy being influenced?

I could go on more, but i think you get the point...

Why should anyone accept your criteria from these biases, non independent sources, while you yourself would only accept prophecy that is independently verified?

It seems to me that these lists you give are created to disqualify prophecy from being considered as prophecy. It is a classic No True Scotsman fallacy.. How is it not?

"The prophecy must be clear and unambiguous." ~No it doesnt. Prophecy can be prophetic even if this criteria isnt met.

"The event must be a complete fulfillment of the prediction."~No it doesnt, prophecy could still be fulfilled in furture dates, and it would still be prophecy.

"The event must be shown to have actually happened."~Yes the event must have actually happened, objectively... But "showing" or convincing someone that an event happened, does not actually make a prophecy true or not.

"The prophecy must have happened before the event."~Yes this is true, however it goes on to say

"The prophetic statement must be proved to precede the fulfillment event in time. Definite empirical evidence must be publicly available to document that the prophecy predates its fulfillment"~No, proving a prophecy doesnt create that prophecy or fulfill that event.. This is criteria on "you have to convince me about it", which is completely irrelevant to whether or not a prophecy is actually true..

"The event must not have been artificially created by a person who knew of the prophecy, with the intent of fulfilling it."~Yes and no... It should not be self fulfilled, but fulfilled in destiny, whether the person knows about it or not could be considered irrelevant

"The prophecy must not have been a logical guess."~The claim is that the Prophecy in the Bible is a revelation from God, we have no evidence of people making their best guess...

I could go on, if you'd like, should we discuss the criteria, and you and I come to accept reasonable criteria, and agree upon it? Id be happy to discuss each point listed, and discuss why it should or shouldnt be accept as criteria.

But this list is a list created as a fallacy, and much of it is irrelevant to whether prophecy is true...

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #21

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 20 by Tart]
True prophecy in this case (according to scripture) is:

God inspired foreknowledge, of some event or truth...
How do you tell if something is God inspired? RedEye's criteria are things you and I can actually check. We can check to see if the offered "prophecy" is vague, or intelligible, or was corroborated etc. But God-inspired? How do you propose to actually check to see if THAT is the case, at least not without going through anything similar to RedEye's criteria? In fact...that is the POINT of RedEye's criteria.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

RedEye
Scholar

Post #22

Post by RedEye »

Tart wrote: This is all I want. I want criteria to be able to accept true prophecy..

True prophecy in this case (according to scripture) is:

God inspired foreknowledge, of some event or truth...
See rikuoamero's response. I can't better it. The issue is not what constitutes a candidate for prophecy (which is what you have supplied). The issue is whether it is passes the test for clarity as a prophetic passage and how do we evaluate such a prophecy as being fulfilled and therefore valid. That is what the criteria are for.
Ok? take that, the Mold Should fit that... It should allow all true prophecy to be evaluated as such, and if it cant be determined, it shouldnt be rejected but evaluated on what is "reasonable to believe"... That is all i want.
Well you aren't getting it. Who determines what is reasonable? You will say that you are being reasonable and I will argue that you are being unreasonable. Stalemate. Unless you have objective criteria in place as a guide then what you advocate is an exercise in futility.
I mean, what is your problem? Im trying to work with you dude... I specifically commented on your criteria which you ignored, and you act as if my requests are unreasonable.
I have explained my problem to you ad nauseam. You obviously aren't listening. As to who is being unreasonable, you have just illustrated perfectly why your suggested approach above is doomed to failure.
What is up dude? Its not that complex... Allow a true prophecy to be validated as such, a false prophecy to be rejected, and anything that isnt determined one way or the other should be put in a case of what is reasonable to believe...
*sigh* And the circular logic continues despite my best efforts to explain why it is nonsensical. (Also, reasonableness is subjective and therefore useless for the purposes of this thread).
What is the problem with that? If you cant agree to that simple reasonable request, and continue to insist you dont even need to be independent... fine...
Independent of what exactly? You keep asserting bias but the criteria I have supplied are perfectly reasonable. You are engaging in the genetic fallacy where you reject something not on its merits but on the source. Remember that I was more than fair when I asked you to supply criteria we could agree upon. You shirked away from that and left it up to me. Now you want to whine about my criteria being too stringent for your liking. Well, tough cheddar. You only have yourself to blame.

Btw, I am willing to entertain any authentic objections you have to the supplied criteria as long as they are not along the lines of "it eliminates true prophecy" (with it's absurd assumption that you or anyone else can be the arbiter of what is true prophecy) or "it should not require independent confirmation of events".
Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #23

Post by rikuoamero »

Tart, I don't know about RedEye, but I'm ducking out of this conversation, both here and on the other thread, or any other related threads.
We've been talking about this for several days (the other thread you started was created on Sunday), and yet we STILL don't have you offering up a single prophecy and running it through the gauntlet.
At this point, it's clear to me, at the very least. You're afraid of your prophecies failing (which to be honest is what I expect to happen), so you're not even going to try.

Now you could prove me wrong. You could run the gauntlet. Force me to eat humble pie. Are you going to do that, or are you going to keep on complaining about the criteria, about how your gold might just be tested and come out declared to be fool's gold?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Tart »

You know what... You wont agree to collaborate with me. You guys openly reject the idea that your criteria should come from non-bias independent sources. Insisting it doesn't matter... I simply ask for a mold that true prophecy to be validated, and false propehcy would be rejected, and you wont even agree to that... "How do we know true prophecy?"... In all reality, true prophecy could be true prophecy, and you wouldnt even know it. Prophecy being true, isnt dependent on you knowing it is true... It all reality, you could had never heard about any prophecy in the Bible, and would never know it was true, and it could still be true. The criteria you list doesnt make the prophecy true, it is just a way of analyzing it, but you wont even collaborate on that...

I mean why dont we say "I need to see the prophecy written down, and fulfilled for it to be true"? Maybe thats a good criteria for you to insist on?

But fine. You dont want to work with me? Let just move on then. Ill even allow your bias criteria. Lets look at the prophecy...
Last edited by Tart on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by Tart »

I want to look at the book of Jeremiah... I want to look at the prophecies of Jerusalem.. That is, the prophecies of Jerusalem destruction, the first time, the second time, and prophecy that Jerusalem would be "Uprooted or demolished"....

What is reasonable? How did Jeremiah prophecy this? What motive? What is the likelihood of it being fulfilled? and was it fulfilled (this may also tie into Jesus prophecy of the destruction of the temple as well, as it relates).

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by Tart »

But you know. In all reality... This isnt becoming a fruitful conversation, and id rather continue in it...

RedEye
Scholar

Post #27

Post by RedEye »

Tart wrote: I want to look at the book of Jeremiah... I want to look at the prophecies of Jerusalem.. That is, the prophecies of Jerusalem destruction, the first time, the second time, and prophecy that Jerusalem would be "Uprooted or demolished"....

What is reasonable? How did Jeremiah prophecy this? What motive? What is the likelihood of it being fulfilled? and was it fulfilled (this may also tie into Jesus prophecy of the destruction of the temple as well, as it relates).
If you now accept the criteria then please identify the prophecy passage you have chosen more precisely. Book, chapter and verses. Once you have done that we can then evaluate it against the agreed criteria.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #28

Post by rikuoamero »

Tart wrote: You know what... You wont agree to collaborate with me. You guys openly reject the idea that your criteria should come from non-bias independent sources. Insisting it doesn't matter... I simply ask for a mold that true prophecy to be validated, and false propehcy would be rejected, and you wont even agree to that... "How do we know true prophecy?"... In all reality, true prophecy could be true prophecy, and you wouldnt even know it. Prophecy being true, isnt dependent on you knowing it is true... It all reality, you could had never heard about any prophecy in the Bible, and would never know it was true, and it could still be true. The criteria you list doesnt make the prophecy true, it is just a way of analyzing it, but you wont even collaborate on that...

I mean why dont we say "I need to see the prophecy written down, and fulfilled for it to be true"? Maybe thats a good criteria for you to insist on?

But fine. You dont want to work with me? Let just move on then. Ill even allow your bias criteria. Lets look at the prophecy...
"I simply ask for a mold that true prophecy be validated and false prophecy be rejected"

This is what the criteria are designed to do. However, your constant complaining about this, means I translate that line to "I ask for criteria that will validate as true prophecies what I presuppose are true prophecies, I don't want criteria that might fail them".
You have to run the gauntlet being willing to risk being wrong, being willing to agree to abide by whatever result comes out. I will, so will RedEye.

"I mean, why don't we say "I need to see the prophecy written down and fulfilled for it to be true".

Because that is a HORRIBLE method to discern true from false. That quote unquote criteria would mean Bismarck made a true prophecy when he predicted a European war would start over some thing in the Balkans. Your two criteria are far too loose. They would force you to declare as true prophecy anything that was written down, even if it was written down after the alleged events. There would be no distinction made between someone who like Bismarck made a good guess and someone who didn't.
In other words, your two criteria would make it far too easy for practically ANYTHING to be declared prophecy, which is the opposite of what one ought to be looking for. Aren't you interested in truth, accuracy, in not being hoodwinked?
I don't want to be hoodwinked by false prophecy, but it looks to me like you don't share the same worries as I do.

But if you're willing to abide by RedEye's critera, then please do go on. Quote Chapter and verse, and then run it through each and every one of the criteria. Please note that I will be critiquing anyway. However, if your prophecies are real prophecies, they ought to survive no matter what I do.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by rikuoamero »

RedEye, how long until we consider this challenge a forfeit? It's been two days since Tart last posted on this thread, and besides that, Tart has yet to even try. We're three pages in and nothing of substance has been done.

Oh and just to rub salt into the wound...to go back to Tart's proposed two criteria
"prophecy written down and fulfilled for it to be true"...I was hoping and waiting for him to investigate my Bismarck example.
So far, he hasn't. The salt...is that I chose my example deliberately, knowing full well, before I posted it initially in the discussion, that there is anectodal evidence that Bismarck actually said it. If one reads Wikiquote
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Otto_von_ ... k#Disputed,
one will find that it is disputed as to whether he actually said it.
Yet it satisfies Tart's criteria. It was written down and it came true. Notice that Tart never specified that one had to show that (what is proposed to be) prophecy had to be written down before the event it prophecies! Or that we could show that the named prophet in question (if indeed the prophet is named at all!) is the one who said it!

RedEye
Scholar

Post #30

Post by RedEye »

rikuoamero wrote: RedEye, how long until we consider this challenge a forfeit? It's been two days since Tart last posted on this thread, and besides that, Tart has yet to even try. We're three pages in and nothing of substance has been done.
S/he has sent out conflicting messages on this so I am not sure where we are at. First s/he was going to accept our "biased" criteria and present a prophecy for analysis. Then s/he wrote this:
But you know. In all reality... This isnt becoming a fruitful conversation, and id rather continue in it...
I presume s/he meant to say that s/he would rather NOT continue it. I'm not really fussed. I don't think that the concept of having a set of guidelines (rules) to validate prophecy had gotten through her/his preconceived notions of what constituted "true" prophecy.