Abortion due to a complication

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

fonso
Student

Abortion due to a complication

Post #1

Post by fonso »

If your wife was beaten, raped, and was gotten pregnant by a rapist, would you abort the child? Or would you have her give birth?

I'm undecided. Part of me has learned to value life, that perhaps I would agree for the child to be born, only to be given up to an orphanage or some place similar.... although it wasn't too long ago either that I would have instantantly agreed to an abortion.

Blood On Your Hands
Student

Post #21

Post by Blood On Your Hands »

You have a choice between having the baby and ruining the lives of two innocent people, or terminating a fetus, who lacks any cognative abilities, if caught in the first weeks...

I would probably prefer for my spouse to have an abortion. This might have something to do with my age, as having a child at 17 has many problems in which to overcome let alone having a child ocurring from rape.

And to be honest, i would hate to be the biological son of a rapist. It would lead to a life of resentment which has already been discussed

Darren
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by Darren »

Arya wrote:Considering the tremendous emotional ordeal that a woman faces in the aftermath of a rape attack, then having to face the moral dilemma of carrying to term/raising that child/ending the pregnancy-this is not an easy question.
Too true.
Arya wrote:
I am not an advocate for abortion. But I also realize that the circumstances surrounding the decisions to have an abortion are a very personal matter, and I would not feel that it is right for me to tell someone what she should do.
The goings on inside a persons body are their own business and no-one elses.
Arya wrote: The final decision needs to be made by her, overall. But she should also discuss her decision or feelings with her partner/husband/friends or closest relatives. She should not be "alone" with this ordeal or decision.
I think that it is good to have support, but this is a decision that she most certainly will make 'alone'. No matter how much support is offered.

Darren
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by Darren »

Blood On Your Hands wrote:You have a choice between having the baby and ruining the lives of two innocent people, or terminating a fetus, who lacks any cognative abilities, if caught in the first weeks...

I would probably prefer for my spouse to have an abortion.
I hope you realize that this 'preference' is only that - and that the decision rests completely with the offended party (the pregnant victim).
Blood On Your Hands wrote:And to be honest, i would hate to be the biological son of a rapist. It would lead to a life of resentment which has already been discussed
No it wouldn't. Some would have you believe that this is the case, but they are ill-informed.
I was adopted at birth. When I found my biological mother, I discovered that she was raped at about 15 years old, and chose adoption. I am the product of that rape. Instead of pretending that some blather indicates that I have a life of resentment, why not ask me? Want to know what I think of people who choose abortion? Ask me.
As to the OP, I think the decision is solely the womans decision, and even if she has a husband, she doesn't need to talk to him about it. I don't even think she has to tell him about the rape, if she chooses not to. Her business totally. If my biological mother has chosen abortion, I would not be here, but I still support a womans right to choose. Every time.

Darren
Apprentice

Re: Abortion due to rape

Post #24

Post by Darren »

atheisthumanist wrote:
fonso wrote:If your wife was beaten, raped, and was gotten pregnant by a rapist, would you abort the child? Or would you have her give birth?
I would not want to unleash further propensity to violence on humanity by giving birth to a child who shares DNA with a criminal rapist. The other night I watched The Bad Seed where a child is adopted who was the daughter of a serial killer and is a kind loving person but her child is a "bad seed" who kills.
So based on a movie you saw you think people like me should have been aborted? Great, thanks for your input. Do you think that because my biological father was a rapist that I will be? Why not present evidence to that effect? Or is a story someone told you all the evidence you need?
I do hope you review your methods of making these decisions. I for one think your beastly opinion is based on little more than a made-for-TV movie.
I don't object to women getting abortions. I think they should be allowed freely - I do object strongly to your suggestion that I am a 'bad seed' like in your movie. Care to rephrase your contribution?

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by Greatest I Am »

Darren wrote:
atheisthumanist wrote:
fonso wrote:If your wife was beaten, raped, and was gotten pregnant by a rapist, would you abort the child? Or would you have her give birth?
I would not want to unleash further propensity to violence on humanity by giving birth to a child who shares DNA with a criminal rapist. The other night I watched The Bad Seed where a child is adopted who was the daughter of a serial killer and is a kind loving person but her child is a "bad seed" who kills.
So based on a movie you saw you think people like me should have been aborted? Great, thanks for your input. Do you think that because my biological father was a rapist that I will be? Why not present evidence to that effect? Or is a story someone told you all the evidence you need?
I do hope you review your methods of making these decisions. I for one think your beastly opinion is based on little more than a made-for-TV movie.
I don't object to women getting abortions. I think they should be allowed freely - I do object strongly to your suggestion that I am a 'bad seed' like in your movie. Care to rephrase your contribution?
The God of the flood places little value on children and babies.
After all, how many did He kill??

I believe that every soul should be allowed to live.
Who knows what value they mean to us.
How many Einstein's or Jesus' have we aborted?

Regards
DL

Darren
Apprentice

Post #26

Post by Darren »

Greatest I Am wrote: The God of the flood places little value on children and babies.

Regards
DL
Do you think that these 'souls' should be allowed to live at the expense of the hosts freedom?

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Greatest I Am »

Darren wrote:
Greatest I Am wrote: The God of the flood places little value on children and babies.

Regards
DL
Do you think that these 'souls' should be allowed to live at the expense of the hosts freedom?
We never know what good or evil a soul will bring to us. It is better not to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Having said this, I could not stop someone from aborting unless I was willing to take responsibility for the new soul.

Regards
DL

Darren
Apprentice

Post #28

Post by Darren »

Greatest I Am wrote:
Darren wrote:

Regards
DL
We never know what good or evil a soul will bring to us. It is better not to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Having said this, I could not stop someone from aborting unless I was willing to take responsibility for the new soul.

Regards
DL
You are using the word 'soul'. Could you define it? Can you demonstrate that such a thing exists? I think 'soul' only exists in the minds of believers.
Without a 'soul', the last leg you have to stand on against abortion becomes pretty slim and unsteady.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by Greatest I Am »

Darren wrote:
Greatest I Am wrote:
Darren wrote:

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
You are using the word 'soul'. Could you define it? Can you demonstrate that such a thing exists? I think 'soul' only exists in the minds of believers.
Without a 'soul', the last leg you have to stand on against abortion becomes pretty slim and unsteady.
True. If you do not believe then soul means nothing.
To a believer, it is the connection to the divine realm.

The fetus receives his, her soul at conception so in a sense, it goes to heaven at the time of abortion death. The same as all of us upon our death.

In a moral sense I treat these fetuses, people in development, the same way that I treat people that have developed to some higher form since birth.
This is the logical thing to do. We would not kill the older version, then why would it be OK to kill the younger version?

Rape is an act of violence. Why should our response also be an act of violence to both the perpetrator who deserves it and also to a small victim who does not?
Jesus said to turn the other cheek and to chose non violence when possible.

Regards
DL

Darren
Apprentice

Post #30

Post by Darren »

Greatest I Am wrote:The fetus receives his, her soul at conception
Did you make this up? I can't remember anything in the bible suggesting that the authors had any knowledge of 'conception' in the medical sense. If sperm and egg happen to meet in a toilet (I know it is quite unlikely) is there a 'soul' installed in that, too? If so, who installs it?
Also, since more than half of all conceptions (among humans) end in abortion (most often by the mothers body, and often without her knowledge), isn't this enough to demonstrate to you that your god doesn't care so much about abortion? I mean if your god is real, he has personally handled more abortions than any human...
Greatest I Am wrote: so in a sense, it goes to heaven at the time of abortion death. The same as all of us upon our death.
This is what is called a 'story'. Nothing more. If you have any facts to contribute (such as the volume, mass or colour of the 'soul') then please do, but lets not treat your stories as if they are true without some scrutiny.
Greatest I Am wrote: In a moral sense I treat these fetuses, people in development, the same way that I treat people that have developed to some higher form since birth.
So you have no problem enslaving a woman by telling her that she is a killer if she has a morning after pill? This is your moral sense? I bet it comes from the church and not your own mind.
Greatest I Am wrote: This is the logical thing to do. We would not kill the older version, then why would it be OK to kill the younger version?
You keep treating the developing fetus as if it were a person whose rights take precedence over the rights of the mother. That is not the logical thing to do, and I am going to make another guess here - you are not very likely to get pregnant because you are a man.
Greatest I Am wrote: Rape is an act of violence. Why should our response also be an act of violence to both the perpetrator who deserves it and also to a small victim who does not?
The 'small victim' you refer to is not a victim at all. In fact, if the rapist is the father, then the fetus was not in existence when the crime was committed. The only victim in your little story is reason.