An Evil God - How Would the World Differ?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

An Evil God - How Would the World Differ?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for Debate: How would the world differ from the world we live in, if there was an all- or extremely-powerful god, but its goal was to hurt people, break them, and make them suffer to maximum extent possible?

Do try to find concrete examples even if you think there really is such a god running our world. I admit it's a serious possibility and I can find a major one.

Mae von H
Sage

Re: An Evil God - How Would the World Differ?

Post #21

Post by Mae von H »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:48 pm
Mae von H wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:15 am [Replying to Purple Knight in post #1]

With evil in charge, you wouldn’t have the pleasure of asking if evil is in charge. All pleasures would be gone. And there is a place where a powerful evil being is in charge. There is no pleasure nor comfort nor companionship. Every human suffers every moment and doesn’t even have the comfort of suffering together. They would love to pass a word to another human and even that’s not allowed
So every pleasant memory would be gone?
Likely not. In fact the memory will be sharper as there won’t be the option to lie to oneself that things will surely get better. Because when the present is horrible, memories of better times are like a knife because one is aware that they might have led to being there.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: An Evil God - How Would the World Differ?

Post #22

Post by TRANSPONDER »

One thing i see about an Evil god (not to say an evil God) is that it clearly isn't what we got, otherwise we wouldn't have the choices we have now. I know we get the excuses as to why God doesn't intervene, but at best it leaves us with the equally good explanation being 'No god there' ( ;) did you think you could run away for ever?). If there was really an Evil god in charge, it wouldn't care about free will or choice.

Mind, even with a pretty clear go -to hypothesis, one can never be totally sure. It is not impossible that a god could take a delight in pretending to be nice and kind and absolutely not like those evil dictators, and saving it up until one arrives in heaven.