Never
No votes

Total votes: 30

OnceConvinced
Savant

Are Athiests persecuted in the US?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

A while ago, I watched an episode of Trading Spouses where a Christian switched with an Athiest. The Athiest claimed that in the States, many athiests are persecuted by Christians due to their beliefs... or lack there of.

Do you agree with this?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Cephus
Prodigy

Re: Are Athiests persecuted in the US?

Post #21

Post by Cephus »

Confused wrote:Now, try explaining what you have just written to the average US citizen. You will get blank stares most likely.
That's because most Americans have been indoctrinated by Christianity and Christianity has a problem admitting that someone who rejects their God in rational grounds could possibly exist, that's why they insist that it's only hurt people who hate God who claim to be atheists.

It's unfortunate that our schools don't teach the ability to think critically, but if they did, religion wouldn't have nearly so many members.

Openmind
Sage

Post #22

Post by Openmind »

Nice thoughts, Confused.

It will always remain impossible for people to completely separate their personal convictions from their collective, "for the good of the people" decisions. So, if everyone is represented equally, we perhaps have the best option, rather than letting one personal preference take complete hold. As you say, democracy should be "for the people". Thus, we should give power to as many biased people as possible, in order to fully represent the populace!

twobitsmedia

Post #23

Post by twobitsmedia »

OnceConvinced wrote:A while ago, I watched an episode of Trading Spouses where a Christian switched with an Athiest. The Athiest claimed that in the States, many athiests are persecuted by Christians due to their beliefs... or lack there of.

Do you agree with this?
No.

I don't see a lot of real persecution in the US. I see people with thin skins who heard an insult and then claimed persecution. I see it from the Christians and atheists.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by Goat »

twobitsmedia wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:A while ago, I watched an episode of Trading Spouses where a Christian switched with an Athiest. The Athiest claimed that in the States, many athiests are persecuted by Christians due to their beliefs... or lack there of.

Do you agree with this?
No.

I don't see a lot of real persecution in the US. I see people with thin skins who heard an insult and then claimed persecution. I see it from the Christians and atheists.
I see some persecution, and quite a bit of prejudice. It isn't nearly at the level as
it used to be. There is a difference between being verbally abusive, and bigoted, verses persecution.

When the incidences in the 1950's and early 60's happened in the deep south, where civil rights protestes were killed , that was persecution. Some murders
of gay people were because of them being gay , and that was persecution.

I do not see the prejudice against atheists rising to that level. I do see prejudice
against them...but not to the level of 'persecution'.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Assent
Scholar

Post #25

Post by Assent »

Cmass wrote:I think recently Atheists have on themselves to blame. But no historically.
We definitely need some form of structure that we can hang our hats on. And within that structure we first need to ask ourself what we want to achieve and how do we go implementing it.
So, what does it mean to be an Atheist? Is there anything beyond a shared lack of belief? I personally think there is and it is related to the application of rational logic arguments as well as free thinking and pursuit of knowledge through the scientific method. We need to determine define and agree upon some shared characteristics that will bind us together. With that, we can work together - to make certain political changes a reality.
The funny thing about that is organizing non-religion will get you the same results that organizing religion has. The comfort of a group who shares your world view will encourage its members to spread that world view. Now this does not mean that an atheist organization will follow the Christian path directly; there are other options, as seen in the East. However, if such an organization forms in the West, it is more likely to follow the path of Protestantism, as its members would be raised in the Western culture which brought about that first break.

The only real difference I see between atheism and Western religions is that atheism is relatively based on science.
My arguments are only as true as you will them to be.
Because of the limits of language, we are all wrong.
This signature is as much for my benefit as for yours.

daedalus 2.0
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by daedalus 2.0 »

McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote:When was the last time an out-of-the closet atheist was elected to the Presidency, Senate, House or State Governorship?
goat wrote:Governor Jesse Ventura.
Thanks.

Non-Christian Religious Affiliation of U.S. Presidents:
  • Unitarian 9.5%
Non-Christian Religious Affiliation of U.S. Congress:
  • Jewish 6.9%
  • Scientologist 0.2%
  • unspecified 0.7%
Non-Christian Religious Affiliation of U.S. Governors :
  • Jewish 4%
  • not stated 2% (this must be Jesse Ventura)
Non-Christian Religious Affiliation of the U.S. Supreme Court: None

Non-Christian Religious Affiliation of Canadian Prime Ministers: None

I think that it is safe to put forward the conjecture that non-theists are grossly underrepresented in elected western governments.
The odd thing is is that non-theists are more numerous than Jews, or any other religion in the US - and more numerous than any single denomination of Xianity.

pwsoldier
Student

Post #27

Post by pwsoldier »

I think there is a great deal of prejudice there. However, as Goat pointed out, there hasn't been any real persecution since the Red Scare and the civil rights movement. I also think the level of prejudice depends on where you are in the US. Some regions are more militantly religious than others.

Personally, I think there is an awareness problem in the US. People don't understand atheism, so they automatically become wary of it. I think if more people were educated about the implications of atheism, there would be more oppurtunity for constructive discussion and perhaps some prejudices would be laid to rest.

For my part, I'm very open about the fact that I'm an atheist, which is a bold move for someone serving in an Army Reserve unit based in the South. A lot of the soldiers I work with are Baptists, and while we still disagree on a lot of things, I think I've managed to make them realize that atheism isn't the evil anti-American ideology that it is sometimes portrayed to be. There are plenty of average citizens out there who don't believe in God. I think if more of them would come out of their shells, we could gradually change the way atheists are perceived.

Sorry, I'm starting to sound like an idealist. I'll shut up now. 8-)

FidelCastro
Student

Post #28

Post by FidelCastro »

I don't see athiests automatically being refused jobs because of their beliefs. I don't see athiests being attacked. I don't see athiests living together in low income communities, with high unemployment and crime.

There are persecuted groups in the USA, but they are not athiests. I might be judged by religious people, but then I'm very quick to judge anyone who I think has a "closed" faith. We aren't persecuting each other.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by McCulloch »

FidelCastro wrote:I don't see athiests automatically being refused jobs because of their beliefs. I don't see athiests being attacked. I don't see athiests living together in low income communities, with high unemployment and crime.

There are persecuted groups in the USA, but they are not athiests. I might be judged by religious people, but then I'm very quick to judge anyone who I think has a "closed" faith. We aren't persecuting each other.
There is a President who has said out loud that atheists should not be considered citizens.
Positive Atheism wrote:Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.
If that statement had been made about any other minority group or if it has been made by a prospective leader in a country that values toleration and human rights, he would not have been elected.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

FidelCastro
Student

Post #30

Post by FidelCastro »

I didn't think that sounded like something he would say, espicially in public. So here's what I found:
Some guy named Robert I. Sherman claims he said that in a private conversation.

Robert I Sherman sees himself as an advocate of athiests.

He might be a journalist or something.

We can talk about the things people might have said all day long, but it's better to look at what's documented and their actions. Unless you can tell me that you're sure he said that and explain how. I've never seen this quote before.

I really don't think government percieves athiests as a threat, because as a whole they aren't. And I know I've never experienced any discrimination from anyone besides a minority of extremely religious people.