2. No
68%

Total votes: 40

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #201

Post by A Troubled Man »

Stan wrote:
Well that's a good thing I guess. I HAVE a relationship with a 2000 year old Son of God who STILL lives.
Nope, if Jesus actually existed, He is long dead. If He were alive, we would all know it.
Jesus Christ has been shown to have existed. You unwillingness to accept the evidence does NOT change the FACT.
Sorry, but Jesus has not been shown to exist outside of the Bible.

The 600 plus OT prophecies fulfilled by Jesus Christ is the distinction. Again your not accepting their reality does NOT change the facts.
Sorry, but that is merely one book of myths supporting another book of myths. There are no actual facts contained in those so-called prophecies.

Stan
Scholar

Post #202

Post by Stan »

A Troubled Man wrote: Nope, if Jesus actually existed, He is long dead. If He were alive, we would all know it.
How do you KNOW that? ALL people didn't know He was alive when He was, and even His own people rejected and killed him. ALL people didn't know He died. YOU are in denial. Do you also deny that Buddha, Confucius, Mohammad and other religious leaders did NOT exist, or is this denial just about Jesus?
A Troubled Man wrote: Sorry, but Jesus has not been shown to exist outside of the Bible.
Josephus ben Matthias is the best known ancient Jewish historian. He was born in 37 CE, only a few years after Jesus' execution. Josephus was well educated in biblical law and history.
Josephus' writings cover a number of figures familiar to Bible readers. He discusses John the Baptist, James the brother of Jesus, Pontius Pilate, the Sadducees, the Sanhedrin, the High Priests, and the Pharisees. As for Jesus, there are two references to him in Antiquities. I will recount them in the order in which they appear.

First, in a section in Book 18 dealing with various actions of Pilate, the extant texts refer to Jesus and his ministry. This passage is known as the Testimonium Flavianum.

Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ, and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians so named from him are not extinct at this day.
Jewish Antiquities 18.3.3

Second, in Book 20 there is what could be called a passing reference to Jesus in a paragraph describing the murder of Jesus' brother, James, at the hands of Ananus, the High Priest.

But the younger Ananus who, as we said, received the high priesthood, was of a bold disposition and exceptionally daring; he followed the party of the Sadducees, who are severe in judgment above all the Jews, as we have already shown. As therefore Ananus was of such a disposition, he thought he had now a good opportunity, as Festus was now dead, and Albinus was still on the road; so he assembled a council of judges, and brought before it the brother of Jesus the so-called Christ, whose name was James, together with some others, and having accused them as lawbreakers, he delivered them over to be stoned.
Jewish Antiquities 20.9.1
A Troubled Man wrote: Sorry, but that is merely one book of myths supporting another book of myths. There are no actual facts contained in those so-called prophecies.
Sure, all these writers of the NT got together and conspired to have Jesus fulfill over 600 OT prophecies. #-o
There are MANY FACTS, but as you don't KNOW the OT or NT and you don't KNOW the prophecies made about Jesus that He actually fulfilled in the NT then your dismissal is nothing more than that, dismissiveness. Denial does NOT establish fact or reality my friend.
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
2 Tim 2:15
8-)

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #203

Post by A Troubled Man »

Stan wrote:
How do you KNOW that?
Simple, we would all see Jesus if He was alive. Dead guys are dead.
ALL people didn't know He was alive when He was, and even His own people rejected and killed him. ALL people didn't know He died. YOU are in denial. Do you also deny that Buddha, Confucius, Mohammad and other religious leaders did NOT exist, or is this denial just about Jesus?
No, I am not in denial, I am not denying and facts or hard evidence for Jesus because there is none.

Josephus ben Matthias is the best known ancient Jewish historian. He was born in 37 CE, only a few years after Jesus' execution. Josephus was well educated in biblical law and history.
Josephus' writings cover a number of figures familiar to Bible readers. He discusses John the Baptist, James the brother of Jesus, Pontius Pilate, the Sadducees, the Sanhedrin, the High Priests, and the Pharisees. As for Jesus, there are two references to him in Antiquities. I will recount them in the order in which they appear.

First, in a section in Book 18 dealing with various actions of Pilate, the extant texts refer to Jesus and his ministry. This passage is known as the Testimonium Flavianum.

Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ, and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians so named from him are not extinct at this day.
Jewish Antiquities 18.3.3

Second, in Book 20 there is what could be called a passing reference to Jesus in a paragraph describing the murder of Jesus' brother, James, at the hands of Ananus, the High Priest.

But the younger Ananus who, as we said, received the high priesthood, was of a bold disposition and exceptionally daring; he followed the party of the Sadducees, who are severe in judgment above all the Jews, as we have already shown. As therefore Ananus was of such a disposition, he thought he had now a good opportunity, as Festus was now dead, and Albinus was still on the road; so he assembled a council of judges, and brought before it the brother of Jesus the so-called Christ, whose name was James, together with some others, and having accused them as lawbreakers, he delivered them over to be stoned.
Jewish Antiquities 20.9.1
Obviously, you are not aware that other scholars have already refuted Josephus.
There are MANY FACTS, but as you don't KNOW the OT or NT and you don't KNOW the prophecies made about Jesus that He actually fulfilled in the NT then your dismissal is nothing more than that, dismissiveness. Denial does NOT establish fact or reality my friend.
Sorry, but there are no facts, you are very wrong about that, you have only your Bible to refer to everything about Jesus.

Stan
Scholar

Post #204

Post by Stan »

A Troubled Man wrote: Simple, we would all see Jesus if He was alive. Dead guys are dead.
As I said, many did NOT see Him when He was alive so why do you think we all would now?
A Troubled Man wrote: No, I am not in denial, I am not denying and facts or hard evidence for Jesus because there is none.
Denial is all encompassing TM and your's is as well. You deny what most scholars confirm and you deny what millions have experienced, based on your own limited narrow belief. That is even narrower than you accuse Christians of being.
A Troubled Man wrote: Obviously, you are not aware that other scholars have already refuted Josephus.
I am aware that many USE that response, as you do here, but that those same people have NEVER substantiated that claim.

The two following quotations;
"Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed.", " Biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted"
can both be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus As usual, this kind of statement that you repeat here, is fictitious and inaccurate.
A Troubled Man wrote: Sorry, but there are no facts, you are very wrong about that, you have only your Bible to refer to everything about Jesus.
I have consistently provided you with corroboration for my statements and you deny them all. If all you will do is DENY then there is no reason whatsoever to debate with you. You have been properly instructed.
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
2 Tim 2:15
8-)

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #205

Post by A Troubled Man »

Stan wrote:
As I said, many did NOT see Him when He was alive so why do you think we all would now?
That's because He didn't exist. Simple, really.

Denial is all encompassing TM and your's is as well. You deny what most scholars confirm and you deny what millions have experienced, based on your own limited narrow belief. That is even narrower than you accuse Christians of being.
Sorry, I don't hold beliefs, they tend to be wrong. Sorry, if you feel compelled to use fallacies in your posts, they don't hold water.
I am aware that many USE that response, as you do here, but that those same people have NEVER substantiated that claim.
It's not just a response, it's a fact. Sorry, you aren't aware of those refutations.
You have been properly instructed.
:lol: Here ya go...

http://jesuspuzzle.humanists.net/supp16.htm

otseng
Savant

Post #206

Post by otseng »

A Troubled Man wrote:
Sonofason wrote: It is a disgrace that you would suggest to someone who loves God and who experiences God that you somehow are the same, as if you were entitled to the same blessings as those who love God. It's not true. You are not the same. You are lacking in this area. You have no first hand knowledge of God, as we do. And until you submit your heart to God, you won't.
Sorry, but your dishonesty and arrogant superiority is the disgrace here.
Moderator Comment

To all, please avoid making any personal comments and who is a disgrace.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Zetesis Apistia
Guru

Post #207

Post by Zetesis Apistia »

A Troubled Man wrote:

Personally I'm beginning to wonder if the bible even exists.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #208

Post by A Troubled Man »

Zetesis Apistia wrote:
A Troubled Man wrote:

Personally I'm beginning to wonder if the bible even exists.

It's the only thing believers have going in their favor.

mohadib
Student

Re: Is the Bible the "Word of God"?

Post #209

Post by mohadib »

Master Spade wrote: When discussing a topic, one should want to find the TRUTH!!

To do that, you have to ask ALL the tough questions, and at least TRY to answer them with no fear. To do that, and to get to the Truth; or at least as much of the Truth that we can currently know, you have to break down the question and start from the beginning.

Let's do that with this question:

Is the Bible the "Word of God"?

What say you?

To me the bible (old testament) is a book of fairy tales written by jews for jews.It is nothing more than BS . It like all so called sacred text,koran,torah etc. was written to keep the masses in line.

When something tells you you should fear god because he does love you! Plain nonsense!

Zetesis Apistia
Guru

Re: Is the Bible the "Word of God"?

Post #210

Post by Zetesis Apistia »

mohadib wrote:

When something tells you you should fear god because he does love you! Plain nonsense!
I feared my father and he loved me.