The Christian Response to Homosexuality II: Legal Issues

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

micatala
Site Supporter

The Christian Response to Homosexuality II: Legal Issues

Post #1

Post by micatala »

As noted in the other thread, I am creating this parallel thread to specifically address the following questions.
In terms of political society, what sort of laws should Christians support with respect to homosexuality? If there is to be unequal treatment of homosexuals under the law, what is the Biblical basis for this?
Again, we can assume for the purposes of this thread that homosexuality is immoral according to standard Christian teaching. There is no need to cite scripture here to support this contention.

However, it definitely is appropriate to cite scripture to support political positions. If one is to take the position that homosexual acts should be prohibited by civil law (not just church law), that applies to both CHristians and non-CHristians, then it is incumbent upon the person taking this position to provide Biblical support for said position.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by micatala »

Moderator Intervention

I would remind members to follow the rules against personal remarks.

e.g.
grumpy wrote:Actually, John, these people are much saner, truthful and right by the teachings of Jesus than you will ever be.
cathar wrote:You should have been censored long ago.

Comments regarding the actions of the moderators should be made to the moderators and not within the forum.
1John wrote:I notice that this website allows you unfettered access to personal insults and have never moved to censor you. The clubmembership of the left.

As a general comment, the moderators have in general allowed negative comments about groups and individuals who are not members of the forum. We do attempt to monitor and address personal remarks about forum members. I understand how some of the comments that have been made in the thread might be considered insulting, even though they do not specifically mention forum members. It is a judgment call whether such comments violate the rule against making inflammatory statements.

I would remind all forum members to be civil and not to try and 'push the envelope' with respect to the rules.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by Cathar1950 »

I would like to put my comment in context.
I am not saying he should be censored, I am saying given his comments compared to others. He would have been censored long ago if it were true there is some kind of bias.
I don't think the things that liberals and homosexuals have been accused of should be said because someone thinks the bible tells them so. The bible does not give anyone license to say any filthy thing they want to say about another because they perceive it as a sin and are falsely claiming that homosexuals are forcing gayness on them and laws have been made that prevent them from doing what the perceive is "right", without the consequences of their actions. I have read one slur after another, yet he continues and complains he is being persecuted. Granted I may be out of line at times. I can admit that but some just say, “I am preaching “truth” and being “biblical” as if that is alright because I am a Christian.

John:
I notice that this website allows you unfettered access to personal insults and have never moved to censor you. The clubmembership of the left.
Me:
You are just being silly. You have managed to insult liberals, gays and every one else yet you are still here. You should have been censored long ago.

Grumpy
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by Grumpy »

I should have distinguished that the ideas expressed by the group in England are sane and correct.

The IDEAS expressed by John/Al(speaking of deceptions) are typical of the know-nothing, right wing,bigoted and self-appointed moral arbitors produced by the Evangeical, anti-science, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing mentality who fought (and still fight)civil rights for blacks, women and now gays based on their twisted world view(egged on by Bosh Dimbulb and Anne"horse face" Coulter). This has been a growing cultural phenomina in our country, some call it a cancer on America's soul(as a country not a religion).

I believe that as the world has changed around these people and fewer and fewer buy their worldview(John is right that the current generation accept gays much more than John's generation ever will) their poisonous ideas concentrate like acid and eats their souls away(soul as in integrety and goodness).

So John/Al is a product of faulty education(in science and the story and lessons of Jesus), he can't be blamed for the evil he spews, it is a product of his upbringing, John/Al deserves our pity.

Grumpy 8-)

1John2_26
Guru

Post #34

Post by 1John2_26 »

I should have distinguished that the ideas expressed by the group in England are sane and correct.
Shocking that a person with your religious views GRUMPY/Melikio/Cathar1950/Jose/McCulloch/the club, agree with these gays targeting Christians for jail time.
The IDEAS expressed by John/Al(speaking of deceptions) are typical of the know-nothing, right wing,bigoted and self-appointed moral arbitors produced by the Evangeical, anti-science, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing mentality who fought (and still fight)civil rights for blacks, women and now gays based on their twisted world view(egged on by Bosh Dimbulb and Anne"horse face" Coulter).
Such and enlightened treatise. Grumpy/clones.
This has been a growing cultural phenomina in our country, some call it a cancer on America's soul(as a country not a religion).

Cancer kills. Like AIDS and abortion.

Evangelicals build hospitals and Colleges and feed the world's poor and starving and seek a morally better life and lifestyle for they and their families. Being hated for that makes the opposition of Christians an interesting club for sure, and to say the least.
I believe that as the world has changed around these people and fewer and fewer buy their worldview (John is right that the current generation accept gays much more than John's generation ever will) their poisonous ideas concentrate like acid and eats their souls away (soul as in integrety and goodness).
And where does an atheist get an opinion of "the soul?" (Off stage, chuckling.)
So John/Al is a product of faulty education (in science and the story and lessons of Jesus), he can't be blamed for the evil he spews, it is a product of his upbringing, John/Al deserves our pity.
Actually those that escape and then reject the hedonistic and licentious upbringing in the modern humanist society are not liked for being traitors. They have a perspective that is not liked by those that choose to continue a life of rejecting decency, morality and God.

The current population accepting a permissive and hedonistic life and lifestyle have to be convinced and oriented to embrace that life by much effort of those that hate Christians. Read the Humanist Manifesto II for the grounds to make that assertion. And of course books by Marx and Engels. Or Darwinists. It's a big club that hates Christians. Oddly a club that makes little noise against Islam and Muslims. Very little noise.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Cathar1950 »

GRUMPY/Melikio/Cathar1950/Jose/McCulloch/the club, agree with these gays targeting Christians for jail time.
All right a club. Maybe we could make it a user group?
Jail time for intolerant abusive hostile, anti-gay, promoters of hate, agitators?
I am not insulted but you should consider Grump’s feelings. He may be insulted.
Is this like a 100% insult against a 100% of a club?
Evangelicals build hospitals and Colleges and feed the world's poor and starving and seek a morally better life and lifestyle for they and their families. Being hated for that makes the opposition of Christians an interesting club for sure, and to say the least.
You mean they are the only ones that do that?
I don’t think any one is faulting anyone for helping others in health, food, shelter and human dignity. No one hates them for that. They are different issues. Why do you insist on equating?
Now what club are you talking about?
It's a big club that hates Christians. Oddly a club that makes little noise against Islam and Muslims. Very little noise.
I think we already agree they are nuts. We are just trying to show you the narrow road you’re traveling.

1John2_26
Guru

Post #36

Post by 1John2_26 »

Quote:
GRUMPY/Melikio/Cathar1950/Jose/McCulloch/the club, agree with these gays targeting Christians for jail time.

All right a club. Maybe we could make it a user group?
They did. Progressives. Although they seem to be pushing ancient hedonism. Laughably so.
Jail time for intolerant abusive hostile, anti-gay, promoters of hate, agitators?
I cannot agree with you here. Locking up infideldotorgerites and the anti-Christ clubmembers would cost too much. These currently one-track minded anti-Christians can also become former anti-Christians.

I'm interested in the avenue of "Christian thought" you are an ex of. Care to "enlighten" us? This open declaration is new to your growing profile.
Quote:

I am not insulted but you should consider Grump’s feelings. He may be insulted.
Is this like a 100% insult against a 100% of a club?
Progressive/liberals/the clubmembers, get all huffy and puffy from even the slightest hint of dissent from their anti-crusading. I realized that the first time I spoke to this queer little person known as a "freethinker." Oddly they do not allow for diversity it appears. Seems "freethinker" is a locked in proposition. Uhhhh, yeah.
Quote:

You mean they are the only ones that do that?
Arabic culture brought us the university concept. And the pilots of the planes that flew them into the Twin Towers on 9-11. Christians brought us Harvard and Oxford, ET AL . . . Do the math.

Atheists revel in the convenient deaths of "unwanted pregnencies" and the un-academic realtering of marriage and family, without looking at the evidence for the human beings being murdered and resclassified for the comfort of his or her parents to deny culpabilty, accountability, responsibilty and of course complicity. It is unethical to say you are alearned thinker and hold to many of the absolutes of anti-Christ ideology and politics.

You would think "freethinkers" would look at DNA and just adapt their "thinking." But it appears the "cost" would be to high for them. Forgetting of course that they were once "in the womb" a product of a man and a woman, on their life journey to anti-Christian "freethinkinghood." I have a bad taste in my mouth for that kind of thinker. Too bad if it bothers those that are anti-Christian. I seek to support believers in Christ Jesus, and currently am not called to reach the lost or those that jettisoned the Lord of Glory and Author of Life, for the version of reality they convince themselves they grasp.

I do not run and hide and from skeptics - and no Christian can or should - because they are utterly unscary. What can really truly happen to a Christian that chooses to live as one? The condition of our bodies immutably proves that our flesh is anything uit permantly perfect. We may think this when we are young but many of us choose reality over endless skeptic denial of it. "BOO!" and behaeadings should not be able to shake the faith of the followers of the Creator Christ Jesus.

I have the God of creation to worship and trust, do you think shallow pouty self-centered insults, directed really at God, can "hurt me, a Christian?" I too insult God in many ways, and in that aspect fearing an anti-Christ would be like hating myself. I cannot do that either as I am indeed made "in the image" of God. Too.
I don’t think any one is faulting anyone for helping others in health, food, shelter and human dignity. No one hates them for that. They are different issues. Why do you insist on equating?

The Christians, that those commited to eliminate hate so vehemently, are literally doing something about the violence and the suffering on this planet. While preaching eternal salvation they are doing something about the terrible condition of others, all the while being criminalized by people you would think would accept the Christian position of dissent and skepticism. But alas, hedonism is a far more powerful motivator then spenging personal time and moeny to help those that evolution sees as worthless.

Now what club are you talking about?
Look in the mirror. You are now proclaiming that you left being a Christian and now are presenting an opposition in lock step with the basic anti-Christian. That would make it fair for me to "lump you in" with a crowd of thinkers that are very much homogenized. I would assume you should proudly declare your oppositional side and fight from there. But alas once more, the typical anti-Christian feins a queer innocence while at the same time "doing" their opposition to Christians. Where once in history "the Church" ran the education system, it is now been outlawed to hold corporate prayer. Corporate prayer, one would think, could not possibly be of any insult to a true atheist. I view I once helf and practiced. Where once my peers were praying, I was persoanlly and more importanantly introspectively denying without a moments discomfort. Truly, truly, it is within the anti-religious and anti-Christ majority, that we see a far greater hypocrisy.
Quote:
It's a big club that hates Christians. Oddly a club that makes little noise against Islam and Muslims. Very little noise.

I think we already agree they are nuts.
Yet you actively attack Christians that "say" and teach that sodomy is inappropriate and means should be established to promote the keeping of normality . . . and yet remain silent to those murdered and raped in the millions by proponenets and adherents of Islam. Please how me where I should not have the contempt I do for anti-Christians? And when you pick up your discarded ex-Bible as a "former Christian," I will agree 100% that I should not have the utter disdain of anti-Christians, because it violates factual Gospel belief. That in turn and in fact you deny.
We are just trying to show you the narrow road you’re traveling.
From your one-track ideology that is not only laughable, but, I have the right "AS a Christian," to see the spirit of anti-Christ for what it is.

The Christian response to homosexuality and the social politics it promotes, is to see it for what it is . . . just another membership aspect of the anti-Christ crowd of opposers of the Gospel of life.

If anything, Christians should stop claiming an easy persecuation and martyrdom (including me) where it does not apply. We should jettison these anti-Christs within our midsts and oppose them without ceasing within our schools; and just go on an live a life worth living. Indeed, Amen and truly, the only life "worth" living for the followers of the Author and Creator of Life, Christ Jesus.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #37

Post by Wyvern »

Cancer kills. Like AIDS and abortion.
Or intolerance for that matter.
Evangelicals build hospitals and Colleges and feed the world's poor and starving and seek a morally better life and lifestyle for they and their families.
So does the U.S. government, what's your point?
Actually those that escape and then reject the hedonistic and licentious upbringing in the modern humanist society are not liked for being traitors. They have a perspective that is not liked by those that choose to continue a life of rejecting decency, morality and God.
You have a really odd worldview. Thankfully it has nearly no basis on reality.
Oddly a club that makes little noise against Islam and Muslims. Very little noise.
I bet you can find a lot more anti-islamic material, you just like the idea of being persecuted, especially as long as it isn't real.

melikio
Guru

Not Fighting God (religion)

Post #38

Post by melikio »

I bet you can find a lot more anti-islamic material, you just like the idea of being persecuted, especially as long as it isn't real.
I'm sure a lot of anti-anything material can be found as well.

Homosexuals aren't the only people picked to be targets; it's just that for now we lack a certain level of political power to push justice as far forward as it likely needs to be. And it is always a struggle to gain such rights or position in a society.

Really, homosexuals are contending against other people who hate them or don't want them around, it's not about fighting "God" and the other strawmen people put into place along the way.

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by Cathar1950 »

They did. Progressives. Although they seem to be pushing ancient hedonism. Laughably so.
Quit laughing at yourself. Progressives are hardly hedonist. Where do you get such notions and how can you use such generalizations? Progressive would not be pushing anything ancient.

I'm interested in the avenue of "Christian thought" you are an ex of. Care to "enlighten" us? This open declaration is new to your growing profile.
Well if you must know.
I am an ex of much Christian thought and doctrines.
In the most general sense of background I am a Christian do to my culture and past.
I have problems with;
The virgin birth
Jesus as God
The atonement (forgiveness of sin not the “at one” with God) through a sacrifice because of a fall.
The bodily resurrection as fact
The inerrancy of the bible

Now if you still want to say I am a Christian I am all right with it.
The Ebonite seem very Christian and I agree with some of what they believe.
I like the idea of the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man.
I also like the metaphors that see God as lover, friend, and mother.
Here is something I wrote trying to describe my journey. There are not many Christian points of view that I have not once believed or felt.

I was raised a Christian my family was Christian on both sides. My grandfather was a pastor. There is not an aspect of Christianity I have not experienced believed or understood that is presented all others Christians and forms of Christianity. I am not an outsider but I have grown and learned. I reject much of Christianity from a Jewish perspective that I some how acquired along the way. That my family tree is supposed to have Jewish branches of which I am a part is irrelevant to my beliefs. I seem to be some sort of agnostic Gnostic, proto-Christian radical empiricist, naturalist, and process thinker with few illusions.
I still maintain the illusion of hope and good will toward mankind and creation (the universe). It is not factual gospel belief it is your opinion. It is only one among many possible opinions.

The point is that there is no such thing as an infallible inerrant Bible.
There are many interpretations even the prophets didn't agree with each other nor do the gospels. Men wrote it. It may inspire and some times it should disgust us. Ok so God didn't repent he sighed. What is a Spirit sighing for anyway? No one can see God and live yet Abraham feed him milk and meat (not very Jewish). Abraham talks him down to letting the cities survive for the sake of 10 righteous men he started with 50.
No Moabite shall be married to a Jew yet one was an ancestor of David.
Make Saul king then sighs and makes David king.
But Jesus helping God create the universe I don't think so.
God as his Biological father I don't think so.
That just sounds to pagan (not that their is anything wrong with pagans)
The Genesis story goes back to the Egyptian and Sumerian myths, as do the 10 commandments.
I am not making any Godly claims about the Bible. I can use it against you can't me. And it isn't fair. I have no absolute authority that is your claim. Scriptural reference doesn’t verify a claim as yours have shown not to do so well. I argue that you cut and paste from some one else's flawed source, the Bible. And if it weren’t flawed how would you know being flawed yourself? What I am saying is that a flawed Bible was created. And if it were possible to make on we wouldn't know it if we saw it. We are flawed. Men created it.
It seems to me the burden of reassuring beyond a shadow of a doubt is your task. I make no special claims for it.

I am most likely some kind of Panentheist with a cultural connection to Judaism and Christianity and some historical understanding of their development. I don't even believe in the fall that alone the atonement-sacrifice. Fine let them stew but they are cleaver and will go to great lengths to explain it away even if it means re-writing the NT.
I think their defense would be that he was obeying God first and being they have already discarded the Torah except as a Christological proof text they law would be irrelevant to them anyway. No one said they were sane or rational.
Most students in a half way decent seminary would have got over this hurtle but unfortunately they do not share the information with their parishioners because they would be fired, do to the old time religion they have been feed for years.
At least the spirit wasn't named and can stand for anything. It is a pretty flexible spirit. It reminded me of a program on TV where they created an imaginary spirit. I have also seen studies of groups making up a spirit that developed a personality.
So we may be seeing delusional behavior on a group level. With mega-churches you could move whole masses of dissociated people.

I have seen deep thought, personal consecutiveness and justice in atheist some time I have even seen it in Christians who cares are as far away from philosophical arguments they could care less what anyone thinks.
I have moved from Jesus died for our sin to God does not desire sacrifices to God forgives to forgiveness in a human virtue. It is like a child that is told by his parents not to cross the street. When the child grows up you don’t expect then to still not cross the street.

1John2_26:
Progressive/liberals/the clubmembers, get all huffy and puffy from even the slightest hint of dissent from their anti-crusading. I realized that the first time I spoke to this queer little person known as a "freethinker." Oddly they do not allow for diversity it appears. Seems "freethinker" is a locked in proposition. Uhhhh, yeah.
I don’t see freethinker locked in to anything. You seem more like the child that still can’t cross the street on their own. You seem to be the one that refuses to allow others to dissent your intolerance. So now you call freethinkers queer little people or just this one?

1John2_26:
Arabic culture brought us the university concept. And the pilots of the planes that flew them into the Twin Towers on 9-11. Christians brought us Harvard and Oxford, ET AL . . . Do the math.
Arabs brought you soap, math and the Renaissance. It is an exaggerated example and you know it. Don’t you?

1John2_26:
Atheists revel in the convenient deaths of "unwanted pregnencies" and the un-academic realtering of marriage and family, without looking at the evidence for the human beings being murdered and resclassified for the comfort of his or her parents to deny culpabilty, accountability, responsibilty and of course complicity. It is unethical to say you are alearned thinker and hold to many of the absolutes of anti-Christ ideology and politics.
I don’t think it is limited to atheist and surly Christians also do the same things. It is a false generalization.

1John2_26:
I have the God of creation to worship and trust, do you think shallow pouty self-centered insults, directed really at God, can "hurt me, a Christian?" I too insult God in many ways, and in that aspect fearing an anti-Christ would be like hating myself. I cannot do that either as I am indeed made "in the image" of God. Too.
They are not being directed at God.

1John2_26:
Look in the mirror. You are now proclaiming that you left being a Christian and now are presenting an opposition in lock step with the basic anti-Christian. That would make it fair for me to "lump you in" with a crowd of thinkers that are very much homogenized. I would assume you should proudly declare your oppositional side and fight from there. But alas once more, the typical anti-Christian feins a queer innocence while at the same time "doing" their opposition to Christians. Where once in history "the Church" ran the education system, it is now been outlawed to hold corporate prayer. Corporate prayer, one would think, could not possibly be of any insult to a true atheist. I view I once helf and practiced. Where once my peers were praying, I was persoanlly and more importanantly introspectively denying without a moments discomfort. Truly, truly, it is within the anti-religious and anti-Christ majority, that we see a far greater hypocrisy.
I am in no lock step program. That seems more descriptive of you. My complaints are from with in Christianity not from outside. I am hardly an anti-Christian. I have not left being a Christian. It is still part of who I am. I might be a recovering Christian much like some one would be a recovering alcoholic.
You seem to be the only one that wants to homogenize. You assume way too much.

1John2_26:
Yet you actively attack Christians that "say" and teach that sodomy is inappropriate and means should be established to promote the keeping of normality . . . and yet remain silent to those murdered and raped in the millions by proponenets and adherents of Islam. Please how me where I should not have the contempt I do for anti-Christians? And when you pick up your discarded ex-Bible as a "former Christian," I will agree 100% that I should not have the utter disdain of anti-Christians, because it violates factual Gospel belief. That in turn and in fact you deny.
Again I am not attacking Christians. I am attacking you arcane ideas. I am not teaching sodomy and you know full well that is not what homosexuality is all about. You just enjoy bringing it up often. I am hardly silent when it comes to any murder and rape. It seems you are using Islam as a diversion and is off topic. The last two sentences make absolutely no sense. It only shows you have contempt for non-Christians and you want to make some slur about being an ex-Christian. Maybe I am more of a recovering Christian. I have not discarded the bible. I just don’t see it as perfect and an unquestionable source of the Devine will.

1John2_26:
From your one-track ideology that is not only laughable, but, I have the right "AS a Christian," to see the spirit of anti-Christ for what it is.
You have the imagination to see anything that does not fit your one-track ideology as anti-Christ. I have the right to laugh at you …so what?

1John2_26:
The Christian response to homosexuality and the social politics it promotes, is to see it for what it is . . . just another membership aspect of the anti-Christ crowd of opposers of the Gospel of life.
Yours is only one Christian response and a limited one at that. No all that disagree with you are anti-Christ or atheist. Opposition to your bigotry is not the same as opposition to the gospel of life.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by micatala »

Moderator Intervention

This last page of posts seems to have been quite off-topic. Please, let's stick to addressing the questions in the OP.

From the OP:
In terms of political society, what sort of laws should Christians support with respect to homosexuality? If there is to be unequal treatment of homosexuals under the law, what is the Biblical basis for this?

The questions are asking if homosexuality should be treated 'unequally' or differently under civil law. Comparison with other behaviors or acts that are considered sinful in the Bible are appropriate. Inequality would result if some sins are punishable under civil law and others are not, unless there is a clear reason to do so with, in this case, Biblical support for the inequality.

ALso, keep in mind that the laws are not 'theocratic' laws that apply only to believers or the identified 'chosen people.' One must make a case that such laws, even if they are motivated by Christian belief and morality, should apply to both believers and un-believers.