The Meaning or Purpose of life

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

The Meaning or Purpose of life

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Matt Stopera from BuzzFeed asked 22 self-identifying creationists at the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate to write a message/question/note to the other side. Here’s what they wrote. http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages ... lutio?bffb
Where do you derive objective meaning in life?
What purpose do you think you are here for if you do not believe in salvation?
Can there be meaning or purpose in life without God or a belief in God?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Artie
Prodigy

Post #41

Post by Artie »

Bust Nak wrote:"I am wired to think survival is a good idea" is objective.
"Survival is a good idea" is not objective.

If objectivity is define along the lines of "independent from any minds/opinion."

And if that still sound odd to you, I would point out that we have an instinct produced by an objective automatic natural process to favor sweet and fatty food. Yet one wouldn't say loving ice-cream is anything other a matter a taste.
Ice-cream is a sweet and fatty food and since your taste for sweet and fatty foods is the result of an objective automatic natural process it isn't subjective. Which process made you favour ice-cream in particular?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #42

Post by Bust Nak »

Artie wrote: Ice-cream is a sweet and fatty food and since your taste for sweet and fatty foods is the result of an objective automatic natural process it isn't subjective.
You are willing to state that favouring ice-cream isn't matter of subjective opinion? I guess I am happy with stating that purpose is as objective as food taste. What then are matters of opinion if food taste aren't?
Which process made you favour ice-cream in particular?
No idea, I am guessing something to do with dopamine, as with everything relating to pleasure seem to have something to do with dopamine.

Artie
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by Artie »

Bust Nak wrote:Artie wrote: Which process made you favour ice-cream in particular?
No idea, I am guessing something to do with dopamine, as with everything relating to pleasure seem to have something to do with dopamine.
No, I mean, which process made you favour ice-cream? Did you get some ice-cream when you were a child and associate it with safety or comfort or your parent or something? Why do you have a taste for ice-cream in particular?

Wissing
Apprentice

Post #44

Post by Wissing »

Maybe your taste for ice cream is just the man keepin' you down.
http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/La_Distinction

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #45

Post by Bust Nak »

Artie wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:Artie wrote: Which process made you favour ice-cream in particular?
No, I mean, which process made you favour ice-cream? Did you get some ice-cream when you were a child and associate it with safety or comfort or your parent or something? Why do you have a taste for ice-cream in particular?
I don't know if it has much do do with an event. I tasted it as an infant and found that I like it. I tasted more and found certain favor better than others.

Darias
Guru

Post #46

Post by Darias »

[Replying to post 19 by Darias]

I wasn't sure where to put this, but here's a video of post 19:

[center][yt][/yt][/center]

coffeem8
Student

What, the meaning of life

Post #47

Post by coffeem8 »

In a question, maybe two,
Those being 'what?' and possibly, 'who?'
The reason for asking is urgently due-
"what am I here for?" and also, "for who?"

Perhaps it's my mouth for which I'm alive.
It is a vessel I rarely deprive.
It craves me to fill it,
It strives to speak out,
And sometimes I find that it leads me about..

So clearly indeed it may be true, that my mouth is both the what and the who.

But now I consider also my eyes
They always are hoping for some new surprise.
And when there is none they focus on lack
And once that's begun they hardly look back..

So clearly indeed it maybe true
That my eyes are both the what and the who.

The love of pleasure or praise or pride
May also be the force of my stride.
These things are a comfort when I'm all alone
The more that I heed them the more that I'm prone

so clearly indeed it may be true
That those lusty three are the what and the who.

I understand these worthy forces
But I cannot fathom my seven divorces... :-k

Hey :) I recently wrote this, and it seems to fit under this category.

Unhand Me Sir
Student

Re: The Meaning or Purpose of life

Post #48

Post by Unhand Me Sir »

McCulloch wrote:
I always find these appeals for objective value and morality sad. It seems the person is saying "I need it, I can't do it, I can't find value in anything or care about other people without help."

I hope that this is justification after the fact for what the person already believes for other reasons. The thought of being driven to a creed because you have no idea how to live your life is depressing.

jerryxplu
Student

Post #49

Post by jerryxplu »

[Replying to post 1 by McCulloch]

Let's assume that there is no god and no afterlife. Does it devalue this life you are living right now? of course not!!! it will only increase the value of your life as it is now the only life you will get. The only chance you have. Do you lose any meaning or purpose in life because there is no god? Of course not! The impact you make is now more than ever important to those around you. I don't believe that is one purpose or meaning in life or don't want to believe that. We must all find purpose and meaning for our own life. Be it start a family, pursue a fulfilling career, participate in your community or just overall make the world a better place.

jerrygg38
Apprentice

Post #50

Post by jerrygg38 »

McCulloch wrote: Matt Stopera from BuzzFeed asked 22 self-identifying creationists at the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate to write a message/question/note to the other side. Here’s what they wrote. http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages ... lutio?bffb
For me the meaning of life is in the living. To live in harmony with your fellow man and this Earth. to treat animals fairly and with kindness. to have children and take care of them.

Until 1981 I did not believe in salvation. I believed that this life was the end. I was happy with that. Now that I believe in salvation I am not happy about that. I do not wish to live again or beyond this life. Yet I now believe that this is so.

I would be very content to have a simple purpose without God. It is much more peaceful not to believe in a god. to exist is to suffer and who really wants to suffer any more than necessary. My life has been good but existence to me is not really worthwhile.