What bothers you about Christianity?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

sue

What bothers you about Christianity?

Post #1

Post by sue »

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked.

What, if anything, bothers you about Christianity? To clarify, by this question I don't mean to ask "what is it that bothers you about Christians, or certain Christians you have met". What is it about the religion itself that you don't like, and why?

For myself, it's this:
-The emphasis on salvation. This seems like an awfully selfish approach.
-The emphasis on Christ's death. This seems like an awfully guilt-ridden approach.

The Project Hate
Student

Post #41

Post by The Project Hate »

So much things to say.

- Preventing people to think by themselves.

- Refusing to acknowledge scientific evidence : about evolution, big bang, aso

- Being responsible for destroying former cultures : Maya, Aztecs in South And Central America, Native Americans, Viking Culture and others.

- Proselytism

- Being responsible for tons of deaths all around the world : in America, in Ireland, the Cathars, Inquisition, the Thirty Years War and it goes on and on. But this can be applied to any religion.

- Often promoting racism, sexism, homophobia.

- Lies about death, birth, the universe, ...

Christianity is anyway just a way to enslave people who aren't educated enough and/or are desperate. Works with any religion.

Undertow
Scholar

Post #42

Post by Undertow »

Where to begin... I'll break it down as simply as I can (note this refers to any religion, not just christianity).

• - Indoctrination of children through the assumption that they want to believe what you do.

- Absolute morals with no acceptance of 'heathens' and no subject to change.

- Constant rationalisations of a literal interpretation of holy text even though they fly in the face of fact and knowlege.

- The idea that my religion is the right one and this gives me the right to insist that I know the truth and am obliged to evangelise.
If you accept the proliferation of religion, you accept the degradation of progress. The more people that begin to fill holes with god, the less people question, the less we accept and become interested in science and the less scientists we have.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the world would be better without religion.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #43

Post by McCulloch »

Undertow wrote:I'm firmly of the opinion that the world would be better without religion.
So did Stalin. I agree with you but I don't think that the suppression or oppression of religion would achieve this end.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #44

Post by k-nug »

McCulloch wrote:
Undertow wrote:I'm firmly of the opinion that the world would be better without religion.
So did Stalin. I agree with you but I don't think that the suppression or oppression of religion would achieve this end.
Yea, while I find religion in general to be a bad thing, I think to suppress it would do more harm than good. I think in time the world may leave religion behind naturally. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for spirituality in humanity. While there is none in my life at this point, things could change and I'm always open to new ideas.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

Undertow
Scholar

Post #45

Post by Undertow »

McCulloch wrote:
I probably worded a little comment in my post incorrectly which gave the impression that we should forcilby supress religion. I'd definately not go about it via force. The statement you quoted was just a hypothetical comparison of a world with religion and a world without.

When I said we shouldn't allow the proliferation of religion I meant to say we shouldn't shy away from criticising it like any other idea in society. The moment we revert to treating religion as a taboo, sacred topic is the moment we take an about face towards the dark ages.

The Project Hate
Student

Post #46

Undertow wrote: When The moment we revert to treating religion as a taboo, sacred topic is the moment we take an about face towards the dark ages.
I didn't understand this phrase ( Remember, English is my second language ).

Did you mean that when we'll stop regarding religion as a taboo, we'll be reaching the dark ages ?

Undertow
Scholar

Post #47

Post by Undertow »

The Project Hate wrote:
Undertow wrote: When The moment we revert to treating religion as a taboo, sacred topic is the moment we take an about face towards the dark ages.

Did you mean that when we'll stop regarding religion as a taboo, we'll be reaching the dark ages ?
To advance in society we need science and critical thinking. In the dark ages there wasn't much of either around. Seeing as religion teaches us not to be critical thinkers and rather be content with the god explanation, it's presence in society is holding us back from progressing through that critical thinking and science. More religion comes about when less people oppose it because they feel more content when there's no doubt in thier mind.

Hope that helps a little.

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #48

Post by k-nug »

The Project Hate wrote:

I believe he meant if religion becomes not ok to criticize and challenge, we'll go back to the dark ages.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

The Project Hate
Student

Post #49

Undertow wrote: To advance in society we need science and critical thinking. In the dark ages there wasn't much of either around. Seeing as religion teaches us not to be critical thinkers and rather be content with the god explanation, it's presence in society is holding us back from progressing through that critical thinking and science. More religion comes about when less people oppose it because they feel more content when there's no doubt in thier mind.

Hope that helps a little.

You didn't need to explain your opinion, I've already understood it. I actually just needed a rephrasing.

Thanks anyway, and thanks k-nug too.

Andre_5772
Student

Post #50

Post by Andre_5772 »

What bothers me about Christianity:
-Most people go to Hell
-Internal inconsistence
-The problem of evil
-Divine hiddenness
-Just thinking about doing something is as bad as doing it. This creates unnecessary and destructive guilt, not to mention a culture of hypocrisy
-Scares children into belief with graphic depictions of hell
-Blood sacrifice is required to satisfy justice

I could go on, but it is getting late.