Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

What is meant by "spiritually dead"?

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

In another thread this comment was made of a poster:
A spiritually dead person cannot understand the bible, you should not even read the bible.
I have been called 'spiritually dead" but have yet to reach an understanding of what it means. Must I be 'spiritually alive to understand what is meant by "spiritually dead"?

What does 'spiritually dead' mean?

And secondly - why admonish a so called spiritually dead person for reading the bible. would it not be to their advantage for a 'spiritually dead' person to read the bible in order to become 'spiritually alive"?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #41

Post by Fallibleone »

'And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me. Hello Groun...' *THWACK*

or words to that effect.
What was the question? I think it was: what is 4 times 7 or something like that? At any rate it was wrong and that is what made it so funny.
Deep Thought didn't know the question and said it would help design an even bigger computer to work it out - sadly the earth got destroyed 5 minutes before the programming was complete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Answer_to_ ... Everything
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #42

Post by OnceConvinced »

What I've come to appreciate about the book now that I'm an ex-Christian at just how much of it taunts Christianity.But it's done very subtily. eg, Eternal life is a curse, the human body is not sufficently designed and other things. The big thing is of course the 42 joke which is all about religionists "begging the question".

An entire thread could be done on this topic, I reckon. The wisdom of Douglas Adam's "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

faith
Scholar

Post #43

Post by faith »

OnceConvinced wrote:What I've come to appreciate about the book now that I'm an ex-Christian at just how much of it taunts Christianity.But it's done very subtily. eg, Eternal life is a curse, the human body is not sufficently designed and other things. The big thing is of course the 42 joke which is all about religionists "begging the question".

An entire thread could be done on this topic, I reckon. The wisdom of Douglas Adam's "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy".
What is 42 to someone who is illiterate and has no numerical knowledge or skills?
The foolishness of the above posts is clearly seen in that if someone is uneducated in the meaning of these things they would be a complete and utter waste on someone with understanding and education.

Man often lets a little knowledge make him blind to the bigger picture.
Without a brain to think what are you? Is the body in such a bad state and the mind so reprobate that we cannot see that we are still here despite disasters and plagues, because our bodies are designed for the here and now.
The reason I am saying all of this is, the bible is a book and without true knowledge and understanding of what it offers only a fool would mock it.

Eternal life for instance. In the resurrection of the dead, the soul which is you, will be raised to life. You will receive eternal life with the blessings or an eternity of punishment in the lake of fire.
I cannot see anything remotely funny about an eternity in suffering. :(
Personally, I would not want anyone suffering being seperated from God.

Love Faith.xx :D

Beta
Scholar

Post #44

Post by Beta »

faith wrote:
Eternal life for instance. In the resurrection of the dead, the soul which is you, will be raised to life. You will receive eternal life with the blessings or an eternity of punishment in the lake of fire.

Please read Jh.5v29 again - in the resurrection only those who have done good will get eternal life and they who have done evil are resurrected to condemnation (death ). Those wicked will not be immortal (have eternal life) but as ordinary human beings will burn up in the lake of fire Mal,4v1-3. There is no eternal torment in hell. The wicked will die as if they had never been. Many scriptures tell us that punishment for sin is death - not eternal life in hell.

faith
Scholar

Post #45

Post by faith »

Beta wrote:
faith wrote:

Please read Jh.5v29 again - in the resurrection only those who have done good will get eternal life and they who have done evil are resurrected to condemnation (death ). Those wicked will not be immortal (have eternal life) but as ordinary human beings will burn up in the lake of fire Mal,4v1-3. There is no eternal torment in hell. The wicked will die as if they had never been. Many scriptures tell us that punishment for sin is death - not eternal life in hell.

If you read Christ talking about lazarus and Dives, you will see they Dives ended up in a place of torment after physical death whilst lazarus ended up in the bosom of Abraham. Both places seperated by a great divide which cannot be crossed eithr way. Revelation 20: 10.And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Revelation 20:14-15 (King James Version)

14.And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15.And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

How can they die if death and hell are cast into the lake of fire with them, and that this is the second death? How were Dives and Lazarus alive after physical death.
If Death has lost it's sting, and the word says, tormented day and night for ever and ever. Then clearly they have a death of being seperated from God for eternity and they do not cease to exist. But are tormented day and night for ever and ever.
The choice is yours and everyone elses.
Hell goes into the lake having given up it's dead for judgement.

Revelation 20:12-13.KJV.
12.And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13.And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

So your idea about hell and the judgement going into the lake of fire is not correct.
In Revelation 20:5. You see the first resurrection followed a 1.000 years later by the rest of the dead.

Love Faith.xx :)

daedalus 2.0
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by daedalus 2.0 »

faith wrote:
Beta wrote:
faith wrote:

If you read Christ talking about lazarus and Dives, you will see they Dives ended up in a place of torment after physical death whilst lazarus ended up in the bosom of Abraham. Both places seperated by a great divide which cannot be crossed eithr way. Revelation 20: 10.And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

14.And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15.And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

How can they die if death and hell are cast into the lake of fire with them, and that this is the second death? How were Dives and Lazarus alive after physical death.
If Death has lost it's sting, and the word says, tormented day and night for ever and ever. Then clearly they have a death of being seperated from God for eternity and they do not cease to exist. But are tormented day and night for ever and ever.

12.And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13.And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

So your idea about hell and the judgement going into the lake of fire is not correct.
In Revelation 20:5. You see the first resurrection followed a 1.000 years later by the rest of the dead.

Ended up in the bosom of Abraham? He ended up hanging onto Abraham and his hariy chest for eternity?

Sounds like Hell to me....
Imagine the people who believe ... and not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible.... It is these ignorant people�who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us...I.Asimov

faith
Scholar

Post #47

Post by faith »

daedalus 2.0 wrote:
Ended up in the bosom of Abraham? He ended up hanging onto Abraham and his hariy chest for eternity?

Sounds like Hell to me....

:lol: :lol: A place of safety and a place where he was cared for.
As if you did not know that...... :D

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #48

Post by OnceConvinced »

faith wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:What I've come to appreciate about the book now that I'm an ex-Christian at just how much of it taunts Christianity.But it's done very subtily. eg, Eternal life is a curse, the human body is not sufficently designed and other things. The big thing is of course the 42 joke which is all about religionists "begging the question".

What is 42 to someone who is illiterate and has no numerical knowledge or skills?
The foolishness of the above posts is clearly seen in that if someone is uneducated in the meaning of these things they would be a complete and utter waste on someone with understanding and education.
I'm not sure what your point is there. I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying that missionaries are wasting their time trying to preach the answer to life the universe and everything to uneducated tribesman in say an African village?

faith wrote: Man often lets a little knowledge make him blind to the bigger picture.
Without a brain to think what are you? Is the body in such a bad state and the mind so reprobate that we cannot see that we are still here despite disasters and plagues, because our bodies are designed for the here and now.
The reason I am saying all of this is, the bible is a book and without true knowledge and understanding of what it offers only a fool would mock it.
Why do you assume that unbelievers do not have knowledge and understanding of the bible? I think it is very easy to come to knowledge and understanding of it and then with a little bit of thinking about it, a little bit of using your brain, to come to the conclusion it's not the word of God and it is worthy to be mocked, just like you may mock the Koran or other such so-called "God-breathed" religious texts because you don't believe them.
faith wrote: Eternal life for instance. In the resurrection of the dead, the soul which is you, will be raised to life. You will receive eternal life with the blessings or an eternity of punishment in the lake of fire.

Why would you even believe in eternal suffering? The most famous verse in the bible states that there will be no eternity for unbelievers: John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, so that whosoever believeth in him shall NOT PERISH but have Everlasting life.

Notice the "Not perish". Therefore only those who are saved shall have eternity. Those who do not believe will PERISH. That is not eternal suffering in hell.

I don't laugh at people who believe that a loving merciful God would choose to torture someone for all eternity. I just feel sickened that anyone would believe such a thing.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #49

Post by OnceConvinced »

faith wrote:
Beta wrote:
faith wrote:

Wow. Fancy that, Faith you've managed to find biblical contradictions. What makes your scriptures any more convincing that John 3:16? Jesus said this himself. He also said the words from the scripture that Beta quoted. I think he was more an authority on heaven and hell than the writers of the book or Revelations, wouldn't you say? Shouldn't we first take Jesus seriously before trying to take a very cryptic book like Revelations and suggesting that hell is a place where we will suffer for all eternity? I would choose rather to go with a more merciful God than a sadistic torturer, wouldn't you?

This scripture here is the only one you quote that suggests eternal torment. However it is a scripture talking about the devil in particular.
Revelation 20: 10.And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
This is what will happen to the devil. And he deserves it. Why should the same necessarily apply to humans? Remember the devil is not human like us and has far less excuses than we do for rejecting Christ. And have you ever considered that maybe, the devil being a different type of being to us cannot perish via fire?

Notice also that it says the devil that decieved THEM. So the decieved are not necessarily being thrown in there with him to suffer for all eternity along side him!

I suspect it may be you that is having trouble understanding scripture, not us. ;)

Anyway, please explain why the scriptures you have quoted should be taken more seriously than Jesus himself who claimed that unbelievers would perish and not have eternal life?

I'd also love to know why you would choose to believe in such an evil thing as eternal torture and attach your God's name to it? How does that show a loving, just and merciful God? I think you'd have a lot of trouble even trying to convince other Christians that your version of God is loving, just and merciful.

Beta
Scholar

Post #50

Post by Beta »

Faith like other deceived christians believe in eternal torment in hell-fire. they believe man has an immortal soul when in fact scripture says man is mortal.
this wrong belief leads to other wrong beliefs and you end up totally deceived. Scripture is there to be believed and obeyed to keep man on the straight and narrow.
The natural man does not have an immortal soul and in his natural state will burn up when cast into a fire , even an eternal fire . the wicked people will end up in the same lake of fire as the devils etc but being human they will burn where-as spirit will not burn. There is the difference not in the fire but in the material going into it.
So no eternal torment for people. (that will disappoint some who have not got God's love and compassion).