Fear God alone

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Fear God alone

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

One of things all people but I presume Christians actually try to do it is to fear God and not fear other things.

examples from: https://www.openbible.info/topics/fear_of_the_lord
Proverbs 1:7 ESV
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Deuteronomy 10:12 ESV
“And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,

Psalm 23:4 ESV
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Now here are some examples saying to not fear man https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Do-Not-Fear-Men
Psalm 118:6 ESV
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?

1 Peter 2:17 ESV
Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

Proverbs 29:25 ESV / 399 helpful votes
The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.
I like 1 Peter 2 because it says clearly to honour the emperor but not fear the emperor and we can apply that to all kings and rulers.

The general point is that Christians are only meant to fear God and not fear man (or other things pretending to be God or angels). On angels, angels say fear not quite often. I think this is partly due to the fact they are probably terrifying but also because they do not want us to worship them. Only fear God.

Do you agree?

If you do agree can you explain this verse in the Bible?

https://biblehub.com/ephesians/5-21.htm
https://biblehub.com/ephesians/5-21.htm
New International Version
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

New Living Translation
And further, submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

English Standard Version
submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Berean Standard Bible

Berean Literal Bible
Be submitting yourselves to one another in reverence of Christ:

King James Bible
Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

New King James Version
submitting to one another in the fear of God.

New American Standard Bible
and subject yourselves to one another in the fear of Christ.

NASB 1995
and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

NASB 1977
and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

Legacy Standard Bible
and being subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

Amplified Bible
being subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Christian Standard Bible
submitting to one another in the fear of Christ.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
submitting to one another in the fear of Christ.

American Standard Version
subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Be subject to one another in the love of The Messiah.

Contemporary English Version
Honor Christ and put others first.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Being subject one to another, in the fear of Christ.

English Revised Version
subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Place yourselves under each other's authority out of respect for Christ.

Good News Translation
Submit yourselves to one another because of your reverence for Christ.

International Standard Version
and you will submit to one another out of reverence for the Messiah.

Literal Standard Version
subjecting yourselves to one another in the fear of Christ.

Majority Standard Bible
I notice that the Greek word is phobos (the word for fear, phobia) so translations using reverence are meaning well but are not accurate. Similar to how the word doulos means slave but gets translated servant a lot .

Question: If we are only meant to fear God, why does the Bible say to fear Christ?

Is this evidence that Christ is God and it is good to fear Christ or .... over to you.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Fear God alone

Post #61

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:59 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:42 am
Miles wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:37 am My mistake for mixing other laws administered by the Sanhedrin with the Mosaic law code.

Are you suggesting Jesus violated the Mishnah [Sanhedrin] law rather than the Mosaic law?
Chapter and verse please.
.... what was that law?

That is what I'm asking you; you made the claim, not I.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #62

Whether or not I, Miles, can produce the law doesn't make any difference as to its actual existence. So my ability to produce the law or not is immaterial.
It seems evident you do not have the ability to produce this phantom law; so it would be more appropriate to speak of your inability to produce said law.

You claim Jesus broke a law, I asked you at least support you claim with a direct reference to which law. Your response that being able to refer to any law in the Torah or the Misnah is ...."immaterial", which is incorrect. It is entirely material to your claim that Jesus was rightfully convicted of breaking a law to produce the law you believe he broke.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Miles
Savant

Post #63

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:51 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:42 am
Miles wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:37 am My mistake for mixing other laws administered by the Sanhedrin with the Mosaic law code.

Are you suggesting Jesus violated the Mishnah [Sanhedrin] law rather than the Mosaic law?
Chapter and verse please.
... Why else would the Sanhedrin say “He is deserving of death!” if he didn't break a law? And what was that law?

That is what I'm asking you; you made the claim, not I.
And I asked and answered. "It was blasphemy."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #64

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:31 am ...take the night trial. The leaders felt it was legal - perhaps because of extenuating circumstances. That would be well within their Rights - as they were the ones creating and enforcing the laws in the first place.

Something illegal doesn't become legal because of "feelings" ; in order to render legal something previously illegal the law would have to be ammended or annulled.

The judges of the first century Sanhedren were bound by the limits of the Torah and were not at liberty to change divine law (Deut. 13:1). Theoretically they could have codified amendements to the Mishnah (although that would still have to be within the confines of the nation's constitutional written law ) but there is no evidence this was in fact the case * . Indeed the book of Acts indicates they had not as it records the same court delaying a hearing until official court opening hours.

* Arguably the 2nd daytime trial was a de facto admission of the illegalities of the nightime events.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #65

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:26 pm And I asked and answered. "It was blasphemy."
No it was not.
  • Jesus words did not constitute "blasphemy " under the TORAH
  • Jesus words did not constitute "blasphemy " under the MISHNAN

Further reading : https://www.chabad.org/library/article_ ... ter-26.htm

RELATED POSTS
Did Jesus commit the crime of blasphemy?
viewtopic.php?p=981228#p981228

Was Jesus a BLASPHEMER?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 90#p983490

Did Jesus committ suicide by proxy?
viewtopic.php?p=1126070#p1126070
To learn more please go to other posts related to

"BAD JESUS" , "FARICATED JESUS" and ... JESUS OF NAZARETH
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #66

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:58 am
Whether or not I, Miles, can produce the law doesn't make any difference as to its actual existence. So my ability to produce the law or not is immaterial.
It seems evident you do not have the ability to produce this phantom law; so it would be more appropriate to speak of your inability to produce said law.

You claim Jesus broke a law, I asked you at least support you claim with a direct reference to which law. Your response that being able to refer to any law in the Torah or the Misnah is ...."immaterial", which is incorrect.
No, it's quite correct. because . . . .

It is entirely material to your claim that Jesus was rightfully convicted of breaking a law to produce the law you believe he broke.
. . . . those who had the power to administer Jewish law saw fit to declare Jesus a violator of such law. The law against blasphemy, and failure to cite its composition in no way negates its existence. Wishful thinking, nice as it may be, simply doesn't wash.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #67

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:42 pm
. . . . those who had the power to administer Jewish law saw fit to declare Jesus a violator of such law. ...
Since the question is : Did the Sanhedren wrongfully convict Jesus of blasphemy?, your pointing out that they could not have ...because they convicted him of blasphemy is CIRCULAR.

JW

Miles
Savant

Post #68

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:01 pm
. . . . those who had the power to administer Jewish law saw fit to declare Jesus a violator of such law. ...
Since the question is : Did the Sanhedren wrongfully convict Jesus of blasphemy?, your pointing out that they could not have ...because they convicted him of blasphemy is CIRCULAR.
Other than your post here, just where does this question appear? If it doesn't appear anywhere else then I don't buy your assertion that "Since the question is."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #69

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:21 pm
Other than your post here, just where does this question appear?
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:22 am
  • Jesus was wrongly convicted of blasphemy

Prove me wrong if you can.

J W

Miles
Savant

Post #70

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:40 pm
Miles wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:21 pm
Other than your post here, just where does this question appear?

Prove me wrong if you can.
Aside from the fact that your statement is not a question, but a claim, the burden of proof lies with the one making the assertion, which, in this case, happens to be you when you claimed that
So, I await the proof that satisfies this burden; your obligation to prove that Jesus was wrongly convicted of blasphemy.