Just WHO is God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MadJW
Student

Just WHO is God?

Post #1

Post by MadJW »

In world religion there all kinds of Gods.
I, personally, have examined most of them and found them lacking.
Then I come to 'Christian' religion, and find that the majority of them don't know God at ALL!
I think one can have a serious debate on THIS site!

The Bible= Jehovah (Name removed by most 'Christian' churches)
Churchianity= there's Three!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Just WHO is God?

Post #71

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:38 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:30 am
MATTHEW 18:26 NAB

At that, the servant fell down, did him [the King] homage, and said, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back full.’
Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:55 am
Capbook wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:59 am ... a Christian can pay "hommage" to another human without it being a sin.
It could ...
So the same Greek word can be rendered "hommage" that can be rendered to someone other than YHWH the Father or worship that is exclusively to Almight God. Is that correct?
Correct, that is "proskuneo" used to worship the Father and Jesus.
When you say "correct" are you say "correct" are you agreeing that the same word (proskuneo) can be rendered as worship OR something that is "not worship" in the bible ?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Capbook
Sage

Post #72

Post by Capbook »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:41 am
Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:38 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:30 am
MATTHEW 18:26 NAB

At that, the servant fell down, did him [the King] homage, and said, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back full.’
Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:55 am
Capbook wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:59 am ... a Christian can pay "hommage" to another human without it being a sin.
It could ...
So the same Greek word can be rendered "hommage" that can be rendered to someone other than YHWH the Father or worship that is exclusively to Almight God. Is that correct?
Correct, that is "proskuneo" used to worship the Father and Jesus.
When you say "correct" are you say "correct" are you agreeing that the same word (proskuneo) can be rendered as worship OR something that is "not worship" in the bible ?
Yes, that is Thayer's definition;
NT:4352 proskuneoo, proskunoo;
a. of homage shown to men of superior rank: absolutely, Matt 20:20
b. of homage rendered to God and the ascended Christ, to heavenly beings, and to demons: John 4:20
(from Thayer's Greek Lexicon, Electronic Database)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #73

Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:49 am
When you say "correct" are you agreeing that the same word (proskuneo) can be rendered as worship OR something that is "not worship" in the bible ?
Yes...
So who gets to decide when to write in the word "WORSHIP" and when to write in the word "hommage" or (one of its synonyms)?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Capbook
Sage

Post #74

Post by Capbook »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:03 am
When you say "correct" are you agreeing that the same word (proskuneo) can be rendered as worship OR something that is "not worship" in the bible ?
Yes...
So who gets to decide when to write in the word "WORSHIP" and when to write in the word "hommage" or (one of its synonyms)?
To whom worship is used to. To Jesus as we believe He is God, as the Father addressed Him Lord in Heb 1:10,

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #75

Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:08 am
Yes...
To whom worship is used to. To Jesus as we believe He is God, as the Father addressed Him Lord in Heb 1:10,
That does not anwser my question: Who gets to decide when to write in a translation the word "WORSHIP" and when to write in the word "hommage" or (one of its synonyms)?

Capbook
Sage

Post #76

Post by Capbook »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:51 am
Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:08 am
Yes...
That does not anwser my question: Who gets to decide when to write in a translation the word "WORSHIP" and when to write in the word "hommage" or (one of its synonyms)?
Do you consider NWT? I've read some about it in the wikipedia. I just don't know about worship.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #77

Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:46 am
Do you consider NWT? I've read some about it in the wikipedia. I just don't know about worship.
Hour question does not answer my question. Here is my question (again) Who gets to decide when to write in a translation the word "WORSHIP" and when to write in the word "hommage" or (one of its synonyms)?

Capbook
Sage

Post #78

Post by Capbook »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:52 am
Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:46 am
Hour question does not answer my question. Here is my question (again) Who gets to decide when to write in a translation the word "WORSHIP" and when to write in the word "hommage" or (one of its synonyms)?
NWT have decided it already.
So in Matt 2:2 do the wise men from the East desire to perform προσκυνῆσαι (proskuneó) to the Christ child? Yes
How does the NWT now render (proskuneó) in this verse?
To do obeisance, so different meaning now but same word where it meant worship in the other verses.
So if we look up what Obeisance means: a gesture expressing respect, such as a bow or curtsy. (quoted online)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #79

Capbook wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:45 am To do obeisance, so different meaning now but same word where it meant worship in the other verses. So if we look up what Obeisance means: a gesture expressing respect, such as a bow or curtsy. (quoted online)
So, since the same Greek word can be translated as worship or hommage/Obeisance , who gets to decide when to write in a translation the word "WORSHIP" and when to write in the word "hommage" or (one of its synonyms)? in the bible(s) YOU use,

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #80

Post by Difflugia »

Capbook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:46 amDo you consider NWT? I've read some about it in the wikipedia. I just don't know about worship.
Download a copy from JW.org, if you're so inclined.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:03 amSo who gets to decide when to write in the word "WORSHIP" and when to write in the word "hommage" or (one of its synonyms)?
The translator. The question, though, is how such a decision impacts the goals for the translation. The NWT, for example, says the following about its goals:
  • "Our goal has been to produce a translation that is not only faithful to the original texts but also clear and easy to read."
  • "A translator must use good judgment in order to select words in the target language that best represent the ideas of the original-language text."
  • "At the same time, extremes in rewording the text must be avoided. A translator who liberally paraphrases the Bible according to how he interprets the overall idea could distort the meaning of the text. How so? The translator may erroneously insert his opinion of what the original text means or may omit important details contained in the original text."
  • "At the same time, extremes in rewording the text must be avoided. A translator who liberally paraphrases the Bible according to how he interprets the overall idea could distort the meaning of the text. How so? The translator may erroneously insert his opinion of what the original text means or may omit important details contained in the original text."
  • "We offer no paraphrase of the Scriptures. Our endeavor all through has been to give as literal a translation as possible, where the modern English idiom allows and where a literal rendition does not for any clumsiness hide the thought."
The main reason this is important for various uses of προσκυνέω is that both Matthew 4 and Luke 4 include variations of the temptation pericope in which the Devil offers power if Jesus offers him προσκυνέω. Jesus' rebuttal includes the admonishment that προσκυνέω should be reserved for God only. The problem with that is that both Matthew and Luke refer to others, including disciples, performing προσκυνέω to Jesus. The question is whether these should be translated differently and what translation purpose is served by doing so. Since the choice can have pretty profound theological importance, I think that at least in Matthew and Luke, all variations of προσκυνέω should be translated in the same way. Using "worship" for God the Father and "homage" for Jesus masks that in a way that violates the last two of the NWT's own translation precepts above. If the goal were a liturgical paraphrase, then the translators would be justified in incorporating their judgement that προσκυνέω means something different when applied to Jesus than when applied to the Father. Their stated goal, however, is that they "offer no paraphrase." That means that if it's ambiguous in Greek, as it is here, a proper translation should carry the same level of ambiguity in English. In this, the NWT has failed.

As a side note, the word hommage is French. The corresponding English word is homage.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.