Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

I AM HE or I AM?

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

Ego Eimi = I AM
There is no HE. It simply means.I AM.

There are several instances in John where Jesus applies to Himself the same expression that God used at the burning bush: “I AM.” (Exodus 3:14)

(John 8:24). The word “He” is in italics indicating the translators’ insertion. However, in keeping with the theme of John, as well as the immediate context, its insertion is unwarranted and obscures the power of Jesus’ statement. He was, in fact, forthrightly declaring His deity to the hard-hearted Jews by identifying Himself with the same Deity that Moses encountered at the burning bush.

This fact is evident in the context. Three verses later, in John 8:28, Jesus again states I AM. Translators place the “He” in italics.

For a third time, in John 8:58 , Jesus pointedly presses the fact to bring closure to His confrontation: Jesus said to the unbelieving Jews, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

The Jews correctly understood that Jesus was making a direct claim to Deity, evidenced by the fact that they prepared to execute Him for the capital crime of blasphemy.

In John 4:19, Jesus stresses the same point to the Samaritan woman. The translators again add “He” following “I AM” Jesus was connecting Himself the the “I AM” of the burning bush.

The apostles were gripped by fear for their lives, seeing Jesus walking on the water toward their boat. “But He said to them, ‘It is I; do not be afraid’” (John 6:20). The English reader would likely never know that the words “It is I” are a translation of the Greek ego eimi, “I am.” Undoubtedly, Jesus was again calling attention to His divinity—as indicated by “I AM. Be not afraid.

”On the occasion when Jesus washed the feet of His disciples in John 13:19, He said to them, “Now I tell you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe that I am He” (John 13:19). The word He was added. Once again, Jesus was deliberately spotlighting His divinity to His disciples by identifying Himself with the burning bush episode. He intended to emphasize to them that they would realize that He is the great “I AM.”

My personal favorite is John 18:4-5. When the mob came to arrest Jesus, He asks, “Whom are you seeking?’ They answered Him, ‘Jesus of Nazareth.’ Jesus said to them, ‘I am He’” (John 18:4-5). Once again, “He” is in italics.

Notice the reaction. They drew back and fell to the ground. Remember, that these soldiers were not Romans. They were Jewish soldiers sent by the chief priests and Pharisees. They were well aware of the import of the expression “I AM.”

Jesus enlisted the use of “I am” in seven additional instances when He offered descriptions of His divine nature, each prefaced by EGO EIM.
1. “I am the Bread of Life” (6:35).
2. “I am the Light of the world” (8:12).
3. “I am the Door” (10:9).
4. “I am the Good Shepherd” (10:4).
5. “I am the Resurrection and the Life” (11:25).
6. “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life” (14:6).
7. “I am the Vine” (15:5).
In each of these cases, a feature of Jesus’ Person is spotlighted that can only describe deity. No mere human being can rightfully be said to be the Bread of Life, the Light of the world, etc. These glorious affirmations pertain solely to Christ in His divine state.

Insering the word “He” was not only unnecessary, its insertion obscures and softens the force of Jesus’ claim explicitly linking Himself directly to the statement spoken by God to Moses at the burning bush. Indeed, the very heart and core of Christianity is Christ as the divine Son of God. One cannot even be a Christian unless that divinity is orally confessed prior to conversion (Romans 10:9-10).

Unless you believe Jesus when He says EGO EIMI, translated I AM, you will die in your sins.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Re: I AM HE or I AM?

Post #91

Post by Eddie Ramos »

tam wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:21 pm Peace to you all!

One more question if I may, especially for anyone who thinks the Jews believed that Christ was declaring Himself to be "the I AM" at John 8:58-59 (and anywhere else) and that claim is the reason they picked up stones to stone Him...

If the Jews knew that Christ was declaring Himself to be "the I AM", why didn't the apostles know it?"

Peace again.
Can you quote the scriptures that lead you to that question please?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #92

Post by onewithhim »

Has anyone looked at the verse in question in all translations? They all include "he" with that verse. That word rounds out the meaning of the verse, as translators are aware.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #93

Post by MissKate13 »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:47 am Has anyone looked at the verse in question in all translations? They all include "he" with that verse. That word rounds out the meaning of the verse, as translators are aware.
Yes, and most translations have the “He” in italics, showing us that the word is not found in the original language. The New American Standard Bible does not contain the word “He.”

I prefer to trust the true author of Scripture, the Holy Spirit over men. It doesn’t matter what their reason was for adding it. Jesus did not say I am He. He said I am, which shows us exactly who He is: YHWH, the great I AM.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #94

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:52 am
onewithhim wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:47 am Has anyone looked at the verse in question in all translations? They all include "he" with that verse. That word rounds out the meaning of the verse, as translators are aware.
Yes, and most translations have the “He” in italics, showing us that the word is not found in the original language. The New American Standard Bible does not contain the word “He.”

I prefer to trust the true author of Scripture, the Holy Spirit over men. It doesn’t matter what their reason was for adding it. Jesus did not say I am He. He said I am, which shows us exactly who He is: YHWH, the great I AM.
The New American Standard Bible DOES include the word "He" in that verse.

The word is in italics, as are many words in the Scriptures that are translated from one language to another. For example:

(John 3:30, KJV) John the Baptist said of Jesus: "He must increase, but I must decrease." The word "must" is inserted there to round out the meaning of the verse. This must be done to give a meaningful translation, as one language is not the same as another when translating. Another:

(John 3:34, KJV) "For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him." The translation would be hard to understand unless the words in italics were included.

(John 7:34, KJV) "Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come." (Jesus speaking to the Pharisees.) If these words in italics were left out, the meaning of the verse would not be clear. There are many many verses that include words in italics so that the translation would be clear as of the meaning. The King James shows the words in italics whereas other versions don't. They just incorporate the italicized words into the verses without italics.

(John 9:1, KJV) "And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth."

(John 8:8,9, KJV) "The neighbors therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said is not this he that sat and begged? Some said, This is he: others said , He is like him: but he said I am he."

Lots and lots of italicized words. In fact, thinking back to John 8:58, what the formerly blind man said (I am he) in verse 9 of John 9, should be counted to him as him claiming to be God, because the exact same wording is used there as is used in John 8:58. Is the blind man also God?

We must do our homework before making statements that cannot be verified.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #95

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #94]

The 1995 and 1977 versions of John 8:24 and 8:28 have the word “He.” The NASB DOES NOT.

My copy of the NASB does NOT have “He” in John 8:24 or 8:28. Neither does the copy of the NASB on Bible Hub

The word “He” is not in the original Greek language in either verse, and that’s the point.

From Bible Hub

John 8 ►
New American Standard Bible

24Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.”

28 So Jesus said, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am, and I do nothing on My own, but I say these things as the Father instructed Me.

ALSO

International Standard Version
That is why I told you that you will die in your sins, for unless you believe that I AM, you'll die in your sins."

Literal Standard Version
I said, therefore, to you, that you will die in your sins, for if you may not believe that I AM, you will die in your sins.”

New American Bible
That is why I told you that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I AM, you will die in your sins.”

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #96

Post by LittleNipper »

Mark 10:17-27

17 And when HE was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to HIM, and asked HIM, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

18 And JESUS said unto him, Why callest thou ME good? there is none good but one, that is, GOD.

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

20 And he answered and said unto HIM, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21 Then JESUS beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow ME.

22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

23 And JESUS looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

24 And the disciples were astonished at HIS words. But JESUS answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of GOD!

25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of GOD.

26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?

27 And JESUS looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with GOD: for with GOD all things are possible.

I type this for one reason. Tell me, is JESUS saying that HE isn't GOOD or is JESUS illustrating that HE is GOD? And if JESUS isn't GOD, than how can anyone be saved, because isn't JESUS implying that salvation is only possible with GOD or are we not saved by trusting upon JESUS?

MissKate13
Sage

Post #97

Post by MissKate13 »

LittleNipper wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:25 pm Mark 10:17-27

17 And when HE was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to HIM, and asked HIM, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

18 And JESUS said unto him, Why callest thou ME good? there is none good but one, that is, GOD.

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

20 And he answered and said unto HIM, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21 Then JESUS beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow ME.

22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

23 And JESUS looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

24 And the disciples were astonished at HIS words. But JESUS answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of GOD!

25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of GOD.

26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?

27 And JESUS looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with GOD: for with GOD all things are possible.

I type this for one reason. Tell me, is JESUS saying that HE isn't GOOD or is JESUS illustrating that HE is GOD? And if JESUS isn't GOD, than how can anyone be saved, because isn't JESUS implying that salvation is only possible with GOD or are we not saved by trusting upon JESUS?
Excellent point!

Jesus is saying He is God!

tam
Savant

Post #98

Post by tam »

Peace again to you all,

On another thread someone posted a link to an explanation from 'gotquestions.org'. I was reading through it and came across another example of man adding something that is not in the original text:
Believers today have the very same mission given to us! We are obligated to share the gospel message, the way to heaven, to others in the world, and we go about that mission with the Holy Spirit living inside us, guiding us as we share His truth. We are obligated to tell people the only way to be forgiven is through faith. Jesus said in John 8:24, “If you do not believe that I am (God), you will indeed die in your sins.” This is the very core of the gospel message and the very heart of what we are to explain to the world. It was Jesus’ last command to His followers before He physically left the earth—carry forward the message of hope and save as many as will believe in Him.
https://www.gotquestions.org/John-20-23.html

Please note the bold and underlined script. (God) in brackets is not a part of that verse. Christ did not say "I am God". That is just what some men claim He meant.

I don't know why I was surprised. For some reason I thought it might have been some new fringe thing that people were going around telling other people that unless they believe Christ is God (YHWH), they are going to die in their sins. Yet there on that site it is being taught as if it's commonplace. I don't know who is influencing whom, but either way, this teaching is a lie. There is no point in me repeating the many questions that have gone unanswered in this thread. Those questions are there for anyone to see (or not to see) as they choose. But I personally cannot see the wisdom in going around telling people that they are going to "die in their sins" unless they believe something that even Christ did not teach.

I know that I am forgiven in my Lord, and a threat from others does not worry me on that topic. But it might worry someone else. It might make someone else afraid. Even some on this thread who believe it might be too afraid to question it. So I will keep posting as I have learned from my Lord (here or elsewhere), and if that helps someone, great. And of course, if a person wants to know the truth of this or any other matter, then Christ is the one to whom that person should turn and listen.

Knock and the door will be opened.

And as my dear Lord has said,

Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him.

For the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came from God.

Peace again to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #99

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to MissKate13 in post #95]

My copy of the NASB does have the word "he."

Did you examine what I posted about italicized words in the King James? I made a fair point.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #100

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:28 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:25 pm Mark 10:17-27

Excellent point!

Jesus is saying He is God!
No, Jesus is saying that even he is not as pure as the Father, God. There is only one good Person---that is God, Jehovah.