is it possible to question a persons faith?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Mydian
Apprentice

is it possible to question a persons faith?

Post #1

Post by Mydian »

I am trying to figure out how to logically address a persons faith. It would seem that it cant be questioned because it is faith. That all a person has to say to put a stalemate into any argument is that it is my faith and they believe because they believe. I dont have to except their view of reality but i can not invalidate it. Is their anyway around this?

And sorry if this has been previously asked...:)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Off the top of my head, I think you could ask, "Why do you believe?" They love to give testimonials.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Mydian
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Mydian »

lol that is true but then it boils down to personal experience usually. I cant discount their personal experience without alienating them. i can say your crazy but that will get me nowhere and basically end the discussion.

upallnite
Sage

Post #4

Post by upallnite »

You could ask if there is any reason for you to believe the same thing.

I have no problem with personal belief as long as it remains personal.

Mydian
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Mydian »

I agree with that and thank you for that..Just because they have a personal experience doesn't mean I have to subscribe to their belief. Still there is no way to discount a personal experience if they believe they have had one.

upallnite
Sage

Post #6

Post by upallnite »

You could ask them if there is anything that they were sure of that they have now changed their mind about. I would not bother directly challenging their personal exprience but you can always sow the seed of dought and let them do it for you.

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #7

Post by Fallibleone »

Personal experiences can be discounted in debate because they only mean something to that one person. Of course it can be said 'well that's my belief based on my own experience', and this really is not the problem. I would never see it as my job to try and get someone to ditch what they believe. The only time personal experience is a problem is when it is used to attempt to tell others what is 'right'. If a person cannot grasp that, then it is irritating. If their personal faith has been brought up in debate as evidence of truth, I would just ask why it is felt that personal faith should mean anything to anyone else.
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

Mydian
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Mydian »

Thanks guys for your input..:) I think I have a better grasp now than before

Jaysin
Student

Post #9

Post by Jaysin »

Faith is believing in something despite rational logic.

It's very difficult (almost impossible) to disprove a person's "faith" but I think you can question it.

catalyst
Site Supporter

Re: is it possible to question a persons faith?

Post #10

Post by catalyst »

Mydian wrote:I am trying to figure out how to logically address a persons faith. It would seem that it cant be questioned because it is faith. That all a person has to say to put a stalemate into any argument is that it is my faith and they believe because they believe. I dont have to except their view of reality but i can not invalidate it. Is their anyway around this?

And sorry if this has been previously asked...:)
I don't see why it isn't possible to question ones faith, and McCulloch said it directly when posing the "Why do you believe" question.

I have noticed that the questioning of LACK of "faith" comes easy enough to the 'faithful". It should work both ways then, right?

As to Testimonials as also mentioned by McCulloch. I don't believe they are necessarily reliable as if vunerable enough, some people can be lead to believe anything and the most simple and explainable logic, will be seen by the lead , to be an act of "divine interaction" or "divine intervention".