My Theory On Why Some People Become Atheist's

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

discus70
Scholar

My Theory On Why Some People Become Atheist's

Post #1

Post by discus70 »

The Atheists I have come across have this tendency to be extremely literal. Everything must be dissected and looked upon through a microscope.

My theory is, if most atheists have a tendency to be these literal and precise creatures, then it would be virtually impossible for them to take any religious text with a literal meaning. Once this occurs it leads that individual to question, question leads to doubt and doubt leads to other possible ways. While searching for other possibilities they end up the same answer, so on and so forth. The individual now comes to the conclusion that its not very logical to believe in a supernatural higher power.

Note. This does not apply for all atheist.

What do you guys and gals think. Also take into consideration that this is just a thought, there are no intentions behind it other then debate and conversation.

Could this literal view that some people have be a likely cause for lots of people
to become atheists?

Jaysin
Student

Post #2

Post by Jaysin »

I think being literal has something to do with it, but not as much as being logical and reasonable.

discus70
Scholar

Post #3

Post by discus70 »

Jaysin wrote:I think being literal has something to do with it, but not as much as being logical and reasonable.

I think being literal is a precursor to becoming logical and more reasonable when it comes to faith.

Would you disagree?

Jaysin
Student

Post #4

Post by Jaysin »

discus70 wrote:
Jaysin wrote:I think being literal has something to do with it, but not as much as being logical and reasonable.

I think being literal is a precursor to becoming logical and more reasonable when it comes to faith.

Would you disagree?
No, I wouldn't disagree. At least not absolutely.

For argument purpose; what about religious people that take the Bible literally?

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Nilloc James »

Probably goes more like this:

Theists claim/teach bible literalists.

Soon to be atheist uses logic.

Relizes theist is full of [censored]

Becomes atheist.

discus70
Scholar

Post #6

Post by discus70 »

Jaysin wrote:
discus70 wrote:

Would you disagree?
No, I wouldn't disagree. At least not absolutely.

For argument purpose; what about religious people that take the Bible literally?

Very good point. Some Christians take the a literal standpoint. Nobody can take the bible literally, its virtually impossible. It's also my opinion that those who do talk the bible for a more literal interpretation have been indoctrinated. Not all but I would go as far to say 95 % This would lead to the conclusion of them being less logical and reasonable.

What is your take?

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #7

Post by Fallibleone »

I'm one of those people who did not become an atheist after being raised into religion, I have always been one. But it seems to me that my continued atheism boils down to the fact that I have never been taught that the Bible was true, in other words that fantastical stories involving magical happenings are true, and from then on found it just too much of a stretch to be able to achieve such belief. And at some points I have indeed tried. I just can't do it. Of course I would argue that my stance is logical, but in honesty I have my formative environment to thank for that, not any particular intelligence or logic on my part.
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Cephus »

discus70 wrote:I think being literal is a precursor to becoming logical and more reasonable when it comes to faith.

Would you disagree?
I think it certainly helps to have a literal interpretation of the Bible, it tends to be a fast-track to non-theism as soon as you start to really examine what you believe and why, but it can also be a detriment because most literalists are simply incapable of questioning their basic beliefs in the first place, "true believers" are fanatics who really don't care if what they believe is true, they still demand that it is.

discus70
Scholar

Post #9

Post by discus70 »

lots of good arguments here.

This question is to all.

What are some specific traits one has to have in order to become a non-believer? I ask this because, I've meet very ignorant Christians, I've never met an ignorant atheist.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by bernee51 »

discus70 wrote: What are some specific traits one has to have in order to become a non-believer? I ask this because, I've meet very ignorant Christians, I've never met an ignorant atheist.
you should get out more...

:whistle:
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj