which came first

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

show don't tell

which came first

Post #1

Post by show don't tell »

Im new to this board but have always loved debating people on this topic. The one question that has never been answered to my satifaction is which came first the chicken or the egg? If this been addressed please point me to the link.
Thank you

Neatras
Guru

Post #41

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 40 by William]

Yeah. Egg before. Chicken much, much later.

William
Savant

Post #42

Post by William »

[Replying to post 41 by Neatras]
Yeah. Egg before. Chicken much, much later.
Following you apparent line of reasoning then, what came first the chicken or the chicken egg?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 42 by William]
... what came first the chicken or the chicken egg?
https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2 ... n-or-the-e

(watch the video at the bottom)
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

William
Savant

Post #44

Post by William »

[Replying to post 43 by DrNoGods]

I think that the philosophical question is pointing to something else rather than just chickens and eggs.

(But certainly, taking the question literally, I have no problem with the videos conclusion.)

The philosophical question speaks to the dilemma beings with beginnings have in relation to how the universe came into existence where there is no evidence of anything else.

We theorize that the beginning (call it the 'chicken') of the universe was the Big Bang (BB) event, but we need the 'egg', so we theorize before the chicken hatched some called infinite density (ID) existed and thus we have the 'egg' but we still also have the dilemma because we do not know what produced that egg.

That is the focus of the question.

studentgary
Student

Post #45

Post by studentgary »

This argument reminds me of a Mobius Strip.
We go around in circles turning ourselves upside down and wrong side up.
The modern chicken is a bird and under current theories, birds are decedents of dinosaurs.
So the question is not which came first, but 'from which dinosaur'?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 44 by William]

Sorry ... I didn't realize it was that deep. It appeared to be a discussion on the actual chicken vs. egg question, and which came first. But if the debate is on the Big Bang and the specific details on what precipitated that, or preceded that, I'm out of my league. I can understand the extrapolation concept that leads to the BB hypothesis based on present observations of the expanding universe, but when people start talking Planck time scales and what happened at those kinds of tiny intervals, I have no ability to know if it has any validity or not and can only be a spectator.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #47

Post by Bust Nak »

William wrote: The philosophical question speaks to the dilemma beings with beginnings have in relation to how the universe came into existence where there is no evidence of anything else.

We theorize that the beginning (call it the 'chicken') of the universe was the Big Bang (BB) event, but we need the 'egg', so we theorize before the chicken hatched some called infinite density (ID) existed and thus we have the 'egg' but we still also have the dilemma because we do not know what produced that egg.

Had that was the focus then there is a simple answer, the 'egg' came first.

The chicken or egg question was a conundrum because of the cyclic/circular nature of chicken and egg (...chicken->egg->chicken...) There is no circular equivalent with the universe.

William
Savant

Post #48

Post by William »

[Replying to post 47 by Bust Nak]
There is no circular equivalent with the universe.
The universe began. A chicken begins.

You are ignoring the philosophical reason the question was first asked.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #49

Post by Bust Nak »

William wrote: The universe began. A chicken begins.

You are ignoring the philosophical reason the question was first asked.
I am not ignoring it, I am dismissing it: The philosophical reason the question was first asked is because of the circular nature of chicken and egg. Naively you need a chicken to get an egg, and you need an egg to get a chicken, so which came first is considered a problem. The same does not apply to the universe, there is no circular equivalent with the universe. You need an "infinite density" as you called it to get a universe, and that's it. There is no circular reference here, as you don't need a universe to birth an infinite density.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #50

Post by H.sapiens »

As far as chickens and eggs are concerned, any competent biologist can show that the egg had to come first, but also that it is a meaningless and arbitrary argument.