Christian Quotes

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Christian Quotes

Post #1

Post by otseng »

What are your favorite Christian quotes?

Here's some to get started.

"Lord grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference."
Saint Francis of Assisi

"I do not pray for success, I ask for faithfulness."
Mother Teresa

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Piper Plexed »

According to the Gospel of John, the Pharisees, in an attempt to discredit Jesus, brought a woman charged with adultery before him. Then they reminded Jesus that adultery was punishable by stoning under Mosaic law and challenged him to judge the woman so that they might then accuse him of disobeying the law. Jesus thought for a moment and then replied, “He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.” The people crowded around him were so touched by their own consciences that they departed. When Jesus found himself alone with the woman, he asked her who were her accusers. She replied, “No man, lord.” Jesus then said, “Neither do I condemn thee: go and sin no more.”
“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”

This is my absolute favorite quote, I find myself pondering it quite often while reading posts here at DC&R.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

keltzkroz
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by keltzkroz »

These are my favorite quotes from the Bible. I always think of them whenever doubt starts to creep in.

"Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation."

"Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand."

"Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;"

"Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness."

sofyst
Student

Post #4

Post by sofyst »

"Wherever you are, and wheresoever you turn, you are wretched unless you turn to God." Thomas a Kempis

seventil
Scholar

Post #5

Post by seventil »

C.S. Lewis is my favorite Christian author. The following quotes are from him:

"As long as this deliberate refusal to understand things from above, even where such understanding is possible, continues, it is idle to talk of any final victory over materialism."

"This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people."

"Human beings, all over the earth, have this curious idea that they ought to behave in a certain way, and can't really get rid of it."

"Who can endure a doctrine which would allow only dentists to say whether our teeth were aching, only cobblers to say whether our shoes hurt us, and only governments to tell us whether we were being well governed?"

"Without sin, the universe is a Solemn Game: and there is no good game without rules."

"In the midst of a world of light and love, of song and feast and dance, [Lucifer] could find nothing to think of more interesting than his own prestige."

"If we will not learn to eat the only food that the universe grows...then we must starve eternally."

RevJP
Scholar

Post #6

Post by RevJP »

"Build in me the mind of Christ, oh Lord."

From a good friend and apologist.

and...

a reminder I have on my bulletin board at work:

"Remember; it's not about me, it's about HIM"

nikolayevich
Scholar

Post #7

Post by nikolayevich »

Well, since someone mentioned C.S. Lewis, this is one of my favorites from him on the issue of Evolution:

‘If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents — the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else’s. But if their thoughts — i.e. of materialism and astronomy — are merely accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It’s like expecting that the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milkjug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset.’

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #8

Post by TQWcS »

‘If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents — the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else’s. But if their thoughts — i.e. of materialism and astronomy — are merely accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It’s like expecting that the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milkjug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset.’
That is quite like Alvin Plantinga's Evolutionary argument against Naturalism, a more consise version.

You can listen to him give a lecture on this subject here.

http://www.hisdefense.org/audio/ap_audio.html

nikolayevich
Scholar

Post #9

Post by nikolayevich »

TQWcS wrote: That is quite like Alvin Plantinga's Evolutionary argument against Naturalism, a more consise version.

You can listen to him give a lecture on this subject here.

http://www.hisdefense.org/audio/ap_audio.html
Thanks for that link. I haven't read Plantinga before. He has done some interesting things. I'll read on :)

He quotes C.S. Lewis in one of his articles. I wonder if perhaps he contributed in any way to Plantinga's defense.

What do you think of Plantinga? Does he appear to be solid in his Biblical-worldview conclusions in his myriad papers? (not at all rhetorical, I just don't know the depth of his work)

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #10

Post by TQWcS »

What do you think of Plantinga?

Plantinga is one of my favorite philosophers to read.

He quotes C.S. Lewis in one of his articles. I wonder if perhaps he contributed in any way to Plantinga's defense.

I am not sure. I have read his biography and I don't remember him mentioning C.S. Lewis in there, but, you never know.

What do you think of Plantinga? Does he appear to be solid in his Biblical-worldview conclusions in his myriad papers?

I believe he is.

Tell me what you think of his works. (if you believe he is solid in his worldview.) I believe you know a lot more about the bible than I.