11%

Total votes: 19

OnceConvinced
Savant

Would you obey God to get to Heaven?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

Drs made this statement in another thread:
From what I see, most people don't want to go to Heaven because they don't want to obey GOD.
Ok, lets make some assumptions here based on what Christians believe:

Heaven: Paradise. Eternal life. No sickness, sadness. All joy. You'll never run out of things to do. It will be FANTASTIC (and no you won't just be sitting around on clouds playing harps or worshiping at God's feet all the time). There is no slavery involved. You won't have your freewill violated. Eternal life is definitely not a curse here.

God: Merciful, loving, just. He loves us so much. Everything he does is for our own good. He's a fantastic guy.

SO:

If the God above was proven to be real. If he had certain laws that had to be followed and you had to obey those laws. If he could be shown not to be a genocidal maniac and that everything he did was for our own good, and if you could gaurantee you'd get to go to Heaven, would you obey him?

Also as a side question:

If you decide you don't want to obey God, does that also automatically mean you don't want to go to Heaven as Drs seems to believe?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Scotracer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Scotracer »

The Christian God? Depends what he asks of me. I wouldn't wish to worship a jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully however.

There are no redeeming features within Yahweh and as such he doesn't deserve worship. Actually - NO ONE deserves worship. The concept is totally immoral.
Why Evolution is True
Universe from nothing

Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
- Christopher Hitchens

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Would you obey God to get to Heaven?

Post #3

Post by Goat »

OnceConvinced wrote:Drs made this statement in another thread:
From what I see, most people don't want to go to Heaven because they don't want to obey GOD.

Heaven: Paradise. Eternal life. No sickness, sadness. All joy. You'll never run out of things to do. It will be FANTASTIC (and no you won't just be sitting around on clouds playing harps or worshiping at God's feet all the time). There is no slavery involved. You won't have your freewill violated. Eternal life is definitely not a curse here.

God: Merciful, loving, just. He loves us so much. Everything he does is for our own good. He's a fantastic guy.

SO:

If the God above was proven to be real. If he had certain laws that had to be followed and you had to obey those laws. If he could be shown not to be a genocidal maniac and that everything he did was for our own good, and if you could gaurantee you'd get to go to Heaven, would you obey him?

Also as a side question:

If you decide you don't want to obey God, does that also automatically mean you don't want to go to Heaven as Drs seems to believe?
First, that god has to be shown to be real. It's amazing though, how much God disapproves of the exact same thing of the believer who brings up God's displeasure.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

Scotracer wrote:The Christian God? Depends what he asks of me. I wouldn't wish to worship a jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully however.

There are no redeeming features within Yahweh and as such he doesn't deserve worship. Actually - NO ONE deserves worship. The concept is totally immoral.
Hold on, that is not my description of the God for this poll. God in this scenario is not a genocidal maniac, but a loving, merciful and just God. Everything he does is best for mankind. (He is the God that Christians like to believe he is)
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Mon May 25, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

goat wrote:
First, that god has to be shown to be real.
Check out my statement in the OP:
OP wrote: If the God above was proven to be real...

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

Given your whopping big assumptions, yes, of course I would obey God.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

McCulloch wrote:Given your whopping big assumptions, yes, of course I would obey God.
I know it's very hard to see the God of the bible in that light, I'll admit that.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Given your assumptions.....no.

A few things I retreat from:

Worship....of anything.
Exclusive clubs.
All in one vacations.
Well meaning nice guys.
Rules.
Authority.
Being too comfortable.
Heck I don't wanna be unconditionally loved....mostly liked maybe...

Angel

Post #9

Post by Angel »

SO:

Yes, I would and I actually already do. I really agree with your saying that God would love us so much rather than saying that He loves us unconditionally. There can be a difference, but I also said that because I don't believe that God loves anyone unconditionally.

OnceConvinced wrote:Also as a side question:

I'd bet on it.

Angel

Post #10

Post by Angel »

SO:

Yes, I would and I actually already do. I really agree with your saying that God would love us so much rather than saying that He loves us unconditionally. There can be a difference, but I also said that because I don't believe that God loves anyone unconditionally.

OnceConvinced wrote:Also as a side question:

I'd bet on it.